fishfinder401

Any reasonable use for this rod

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

All good options and replies. You could keep it for heavy duty conditions like rough surf or wind in your face or bottom fishing from kayak but when I first started salt water fly rodding I thought a 10 wt would be the ticket for its advantage in the wind and big fish. However, the big fish disappeared but the wind kept blowing so I pretty much wimped out and continued to use it. It did prove itself when battling the rare find of 15 lb blues but In the current schoolie climate an 8 wt or below would be a better tool and if you tied into a 30 pounder god bless you.

Any idea the age of the rod? I ask because as was said, many of the older graphite rods had a different action. I don't have a 12 wt, but do have several older rods built on what they used to call "IM6" graphite. It's a bit heavier than some they're building now, but I feel more durable too, and I like how they cast.

I have a Cabela's rod that I bought in 1989, a 5/6 wt rod that I was told was produced by G Loomis for Cabela's. That was back when Gary Loomis was still running that company. I'm sure that's not the case now with where the Cabela's or White River rods are produced. I only ever used a 6 wt line on that rod and it's still one of my favorite rods to fish with. 

If that rod is old enough, you might actually have a gem that the "price" really won't reflect. 

23 hours ago, Jim H said:

Any idea the age of the rod? I ask because as was said, many of the older graphite rods had a different action. I don't have a 12 wt, but do have several older rods built on what they used to call "IM6" graphite. It's a bit heavier than some they're building now, but I feel more durable too, and I like how they cast.

I have a Cabela's rod that I bought in 1989, a 5/6 wt rod that I was told was produced by G Loomis for Cabela's. That was back when Gary Loomis was still running that company. I'm sure that's not the case now with where the Cabela's or White River rods are produced. I only ever used a 6 wt line on that rod and it's still one of my favorite rods to fish with. 

If that rod is old enough, you might actually have a gem that the "price" really won't reflect. 

it looks somewhat new, maybe 5 years old +/-

On 5/6/2020 at 5:45 PM, Drew C. said:

Someone that is just starting out is not going to be able to use that rod in tough conditions and heck they will  probably struggle with it in good conditions. 

It’s a lower end rod. It’s probably not worth a heck of a lot. While it may be useful for certain things the reality is that from shore, here in the NE it’s a niche rod at best. 

maybe a trade for a comparable 8-10 wt rod?

Luckily I have a decent amount of experience for fly fishing for freshwater bass with up to an 8/9weight, but this thing is a whole other beast haha, and yeah may be worth using for a few situations but im starting to think ill see what people would be willing to trade for it... if i set this thing up I will have to also consider the cost of the rest of the setup(although i may have a suitable reel)

I'd seriously consider this two idea.

You already have a yak, and this 12 wgt., I consider using it as a trolling rod.

I doubt few would be interested in a old rod.

Oh yes?  The second idea.......

Do you have a garden, raise tomatoes?

Starter plant sticks.

Posted (edited) · Report post

42 mins ago, fishfinder401 said:

Luckily I have a decent amount of experience for fly fishing for freshwater bass with up to an 8/9weight, but this thing is a whole other beast haha, and yeah may be worth using for a few situations but im starting to think ill see what people would be willing to trade for it... if i set this thing up I will have to also consider the cost of the rest of the setup(although i may have a suitable reel)

I got a 12 for the big water situations many years ago. In the end it was probably one of the more useless fishing purchases that I ever made. 

I have never needed or wanted anything above a 10wt for shore based fishing here in the NE. 

Edited by Drew C.

30 mins ago, Capt.Castafly said:

I'd seriously consider this two idea.

You already have a yak, and this 12 wgt., I consider using it as a trolling rod.

I doubt few would be interested in a old rod.

Oh yes?  The second idea.......

Do you have a garden, raise tomatoes?

Starter plant sticks.

haha already have more trolling rods for the kayak than I need, and its only a few years old and looks unused. who knows, maybe someone will have some gear thats useless for them i can trade it for lol

21 mins ago, fishfinder401 said:

haha already have more trolling rods for the kayak than I need, and its only a few years old and looks unused. who knows, maybe someone will have some gear thats useless for them i can trade it for lol

Good luck... It will be like selling xxx large size clothing at a Hollywood modeling agency. LOL

Just now, Capt.Castafly said:

Good luck... It will be like selling xxx large size clothing at a Hollywood modeling agency. LOL

haha you never know... xxxl may be the new in thing 

Quite a few folks have back-up rods just incase their high end rod explodes on a tarpon.Now [at least] you can get back in the game.I keep a low end Reddington[9wt] rod under the back seat in the truck just for this purpose.I've used it a couple of times and saved the day.

If you should ever have the opportunity or interest in fly fishing for stripers in fast water, e.g., rips, you would find such a rod useful.

I use a 11 WT Fenwick 9 ft glass rod for trolling and intermittent casting in rips and find the rod useful. I have even added a 20-30 ft tip of 18 lb lead core line, even casting with that on occasions.

Good luck with the rod.