Jump to content

dubbing brush machine

Rate this topic


dannyplug1

Recommended Posts

I realy llikethe look of flys done with dubbing brushes.  unfortunately they cost a fortune to purchase all r3ady made up.  Was looking to purchase a dubbing brush machine.  I looked at the stonfo and purchased the spinning part cost about thirty bucks.  I tried to make a table for it.  didn't work so good.  any one outh there have experience with a commercial one.  I purchased and returned the cyclone from j Stockard it was just too small as far as the length of the brush and the width.  any one out there of a good dubbing brush maker?  thanks Charlie  thinking of getting the table that goes with the stonfo spinner but the table is 60 bucks and plastic.  is there a better one out there?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Danny, 

 

Agree way too expensive.   I've jury-rigged something that works pretty well until I can design and build a brush machine to the specs I want. Will try to post my method a little later....work gets in my way :)

 

HT

 

Currently have aphasia.    Aphasia is a result of my head stroke causing a bleed.   Happened in my Maine vacation in July (2021).   Lucky me less than 1% of people get stroke aphasia.  :(      I'm making project but have been told this is easily 5 months to 1 year for this to improve.   Until then hope you don't mind making sense with what I text.   HT

Link to comment
Share on other sites

DannyPlug,

 

This is the way I've started to do it but with the understanding this is only my third or fourth brush.   Not pretty but works for me until I can build something a little nicer.  

Supplies:

  • polyethylene cutting board (notched on the drill end to align the bottom wire
  • 8-1/2 x 11  dimension template
  • (2X) magnetic hooks (from HomeDepot)
  • (2X) neodymium magnets
  • steel block (cork sheet glued to bottom)
  • (2X) ring clips (Amazon)
  • portable drill
  • Weight to hold 1st wire taut ( I'm using an old 3-1/2 disc drive :)  )

The following is pretty much self explanatory, though probably a little boring...... let us know what you come up with.

HT

brush1.png.a1a283618b2622863de92cb796dd1b12.png

 

brush2.png.00af37758caa7324727cfa26f98a6b3f.png

 

brush3.png.1f30c3565f8fb124cfcd1a23892f9303.png

 

brush4.png.2c709b7726ad3c4e13b7c74b35d15a06.png

 

brush5.png.8a1245d832e311b35e1dc6f6669a27a7.png

 

brush6.png.d0e7d60dcbb014696d564be6c238f4b7.png

 

brush7.png.edf2d487f6e252c0e2e50c8241e71187.png

 

brush8.png.ddc40546b8769ee47e2af92c0cc84955.png

 

brush9.png.f5b2b7743fa6e4e58c9e33896e780398.png

 

brush10.png.d325c7c3cb23571c7a9f98b7d04dd202.png

 

 

 

Currently have aphasia.    Aphasia is a result of my head stroke causing a bleed.   Happened in my Maine vacation in July (2021).   Lucky me less than 1% of people get stroke aphasia.  :(      I'm making project but have been told this is easily 5 months to 1 year for this to improve.   Until then hope you don't mind making sense with what I text.   HT

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...

Just recently go back from my second hospital (February heart just stopped) from the my last brain AVM hospital crash about 8 months previous to this one.   Not at all related to one another and just very unlucky for me. Hoping I'm a cat with other 7 lifes.     Having even a more difficult time trying to remember for communicating but hoping I'll be back enough to enjoy the Cape by this summer and are just getting back to starting my tying.    You tend not to think about how short life can be but try to take as advantage of everything you can, it happens so quickly it's not funny.

 

My latest attempt at tying.  Feels nice to be home.    A dubbing build using wig material for a BULKhead design.  5/0 and just 5" short long.  So nice to be moving again.

HT

BushFlly1a.JPG.7b0b2690d4ce85ab2c4f72b1921d1b40.JPG

 

BushFly2a.JPG.035e202ff46da9052a594d8993a66054.JPG

 

 

Currently have aphasia.    Aphasia is a result of my head stroke causing a bleed.   Happened in my Maine vacation in July (2021).   Lucky me less than 1% of people get stroke aphasia.  :(      I'm making project but have been told this is easily 5 months to 1 year for this to improve.   Until then hope you don't mind making sense with what I text.   HT

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I chose the Stonfo so i wouldn't have another project to do . it is very portable and does not take up a lot of space . Another thing  i like , it attaches to my vise (Renzetti traveler) . Never liked big flies (poor casting) , hollow ties and bulkhead flies , Gunner Brammer videos have me trying them out . wish me luck.

276016121_334130671897343_3164393954250381499_n.jpeg

E64AAF2B-FF11-4C48-A490-E9909F319017_4_5005_c.jpeg

0F84328F-9535-4106-A1AC-32E826270F74_4_5005_c.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/25/2022 at 3:28 PM, chucky said:

I chose the Stonfo so i wouldn't have another project to do . it is very portable and does not take up a lot of space . Another thing  i like , it attaches to my vise (Renzetti traveler) . Never liked big flies (poor casting) , hollow ties and bulkhead flies , Gunner Brammer videos have me trying them out . wish me luck.

276016121_334130671897343_3164393954250381499_n.jpeg

E64AAF2B-FF11-4C48-A490-E9909F319017_4_5005_c.jpeg

0F84328F-9535-4106-A1AC-32E826270F74_4_5005_c.jpeg

I've been starting to use brushes too and they are pretty expensive lol. Is that the Stonflo Creative Dubbing Kit?

 

Edit: I see there are 2 models now.

Edited by Surfinator
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Surfinator said:

I've been starting to use brushes too and they are pretty expensive lol. Is that the Stonflo Creative Dubbing Kit?

 

Edit: I see there are 2 models now.

They're somewhat expensive (EP brushes) at 6pc for 10" each and are much much less expensive if you want to make up your own brushes by using Wig Synthetic materials.    It's next to nothing.  In Amazon "Master Wire Supply" is fantastic wire for making brushes.  I make .006", .008" and .010" thick wire.  Though the price for commercial brushes was an issue the real issue for myself is two fold, 1st they tied into commercial lenghts you are equired to use.   I like making my own lengths based on what I'm designing and they often are not the length I want to use.   The 2nd thing is that EP (and other type), build their commercial brushes much bulker than the way I tie my own, mine are so much less bulkty and for large brush flies you would be amazed how little (ie: light) typing larger flies end up becomming.    Above Chucky above said " Never liked big flies (poor casting) ".  If you make files with light enough brush designs you would be suppried how little extra weight is actually made in your flies.  Watch some of Gunnar Brammer brushes.  Much thinner and I make some either lighter than that.

 

 

Below the Surfinator mentioned the Stonfo Creative Dubbing Kit.  Of all the Stonfo items, like their Elite Vise I love from,  there Brush Dubbing Kit is note all that nice.   For about $70 I'd much rather spend double that and get the Oasis tying bench which is 40 times the type for only twice the price.   Actually Gunnar Brammer recently started doing videos and he now uses the Oasis dubbing table.   I was going to make my own build but now I may decide to build one from Oasis if I'm short on time.   I believe I can still build something better as a design but for only $140 it should be suffice.

 

HT

 

This Stonfo:

dubbing.jpg.6835f82660d41062fec30e9a75c21665.jpg

 

versus Oasis Table.

dubbing2.jpg.597978bce5f367123c2dcc9dc2389497.jpg

Edited by HillTop

Currently have aphasia.    Aphasia is a result of my head stroke causing a bleed.   Happened in my Maine vacation in July (2021).   Lucky me less than 1% of people get stroke aphasia.  :(      I'm making project but have been told this is easily 5 months to 1 year for this to improve.   Until then hope you don't mind making sense with what I text.   HT

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, HillTop said:

They're somewhat expensive (EP brushes) at 6pc for 10" each and are much much less expensive if you want to make up your own brushes by using Wig Synthetic materials.    It's next to nothing.  In Amazon "Master Wire Supply" is fantastic wire for making brushes.  I make .006", .008" and .010" thick wire.  Though the price for commercial brushes was an issue the real issue for myself is two fold, 1st they tied into commercial lenghts you are equired to use.   I like making my own lengths based on what I'm designing and they often are not the length I want to use.   The 2nd thing is that EP (and other type), build their commercial brushes much bulker than the way I tie my own, mine are so much less bulkty and for large brush flies you would be amazed how little (ie: light) typing larger flies end up becomming.    Above Chucky above said " Never liked big flies (poor casting) ".  If you make files with light enough brush designs you would be suppried how little extra weight is actually made in your flies.  Watch some of Gunnar Brammer brushes.  Much thinner and I make some either lighter than that.

 

 

Below the Surfinator mentioned the Stonfo Creative Dubbing Kit.  Of all the Stonfo items, like their Elite Vise I love from,  there Brush Dubbing Kit is note all that nice.   For about $70 I'd much rather spend double that and get the Oasis tying bench which is 40 times the type for only twice the price.   Actually Gunnar Brammer recently started doing videos and he now uses the Oasis dubbing table.   I was going to make my own build but now I may decide to build one from Oasis if I'm short on time.   I believe I can still build something better as a design but for only $140 it should be suffice.

 

HT

 

This Stonfo:

dubbing.jpg.6835f82660d41062fec30e9a75c21665.jpg

 

versus Oasis Table.

dubbing2.jpg.597978bce5f367123c2dcc9dc2389497.jpg

Yea thats much nicer..agreed

I just started messing with them so I don't really know what I prefer but I like to experiment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, HillTop said:

They're somewhat expensive (EP brushes) at 6pc for 10" each and are much much less expensive if you want to make up your own brushes by using Wig Synthetic materials.    It's next to nothing.  In Amazon "Master Wire Supply" is fantastic wire for making brushes.  I make .006", .008" and .010" thick wire.  Though the price for commercial brushes was an issue the real issue for myself is two fold, 1st they tied into commercial lenghts you are equired to use.   I like making my own lengths based on what I'm designing and they often are not the length I want to use.   The 2nd thing is that EP (and other type), build their commercial brushes much bulker than the way I tie my own, mine are so much less bulkty and for large brush flies you would be amazed how little (ie: light) typing larger flies end up becomming.    Above Chucky above said " Never liked big flies (poor casting) ".  If you make files with light enough brush designs you would be suppried how little extra weight is actually made in your flies.  Watch some of Gunnar Brammer brushes.  Much thinner and I make some either lighter than that.

 

 

Below the Surfinator mentioned the Stonfo Creative Dubbing Kit.  Of all the Stonfo items, like their Elite Vise I love from,  there Brush Dubbing Kit is note all that nice.   For about $70 I'd much rather spend double that and get the Oasis tying bench which is 40 times the type for only twice the price.   Actually Gunnar Brammer recently started doing videos and he now uses the Oasis dubbing table.   I was going to make my own build but now I may decide to build one from Oasis if I'm short on time.   I believe I can still build something better as a design but for only $140 it should be suffice.

 

HT

 

This Stonfo:

dubbing.jpg.6835f82660d41062fec30e9a75c21665.jpg

 

versus Oasis Table.

dubbing2.jpg.597978bce5f367123c2dcc9dc2389497.jpg

The Oasis table looks really nice.

I was looking at the table on the fly fish food site but I like that this one does not require the use of a drill.

I am pretty sure there is an oasis in my kind of near future.

thank you 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I was thinknig about making a table for a while then came across video below. I been making brushes last week following this method. I'm getting better at it and some of the brushes have come out real nice.  I have a sturdy wooden chair and I put a nail in the side of the seat and then I use my drill with a hook made from throughwire 1/16" material on top of a storage box on the other side of the seat. Have lost a couple brushes when I knocked the drill over though! 

 

 

If you ain't made brushes yet I suggest trying the method in the video below to see how u like it. 

 

As to materials and cost, I been using congo hair and kanekalon to make brushes for gamechangers. All cheap stuff and not nearly exhausting my supply of any of these materials so that's good. 

 

A tip from one beginner to another I been finding my brushes come out somewhat unevene. Part of that seems to be that I was 1) not spinning the brush tight enough to allow 2) me to aggressively brush out the materials. 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One problem I been having is the wire is not spinning up on the opposite end from my drill. I saw a video where they were sort of tapping the materials on that end while running the drill to get them to spin. That seemd to help. Although I seen lots of videos where the wire spins nicely all the way across right away so I guess this varies. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 mins ago, surfflyguy said:

Ive seen those EP Brushes for about 15 dollars and the tables or kits go from 80-150. I usually just make a composit loop but I guess you would need a pretty big loop for some of the striped nass and musky flies

Or just do more than 1 along the assembly of the fly which also allows you to adjust the length of the fibers to build taper as you go.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...