Master Debaiter

UV-C lights

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

It does work, but, commercial systems are enclosed or high in air column so as not to burn eyes. There are a number of research papers around on power required, specific wave lengths, distance from surface and dwell time over surface .  The center third of a V shaped beam being most effective.

A couple years ago two companies had to pay a fine and stop production of portable wands over false claims. Everything seems wide open now.

wash your hands :) 

5 hours ago, beerdoh said:

Only if you inject it. 

Wrong

First you have to drink it 2x a day for two day and only after than you inject it.

It's not new technology, germicidal lighting UV-C is used in hospitals for sanitizing the air as well as surfaces.

The handheld wand units work well, just don't point it at your eyes and skin.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Interesting that you mentioned this, I am debating whether or not to build my own UV-C disinfecting box (moving box most likely to be used). I already have a moving box and a large plastic storage container that is lined with aluminum foil (it was for a vegetable project), so all I need is maybe a couple of UV-C lights and I'm good to go. The UV-C lights that are marketed for killing bacteria, virus etc are quite expensive, so I figured why not buy the UV-C lights that are used for aquariums. They basically do the same thing, its just that the wattage is lower, so buy the higher watt ones and disinfect longer, maybe 30 minutes or more. 

Edited by adoboboy

Sorry, and to second what the others mentioned, this is definitely not new technology. This is used everywhere, from airplanes to meat processing plants. The technology has been there for a very long time and has been proven to be effective. 

I ordered some after seeing a Yahoo article saying that the coronavirus dies easily with sunlight.  The ones from A***** are around $100.  I ordered through a Chinese website so I need to wait a long time to get them. Some say you need 10-30 sec of a 3W device which I doubt.  I intend to use a 30watt lamp for 15min to disinfect masks, etc. From some of the bacteria culture pictures of before and after with some 3 or 5W wand devices, I saw 1 minute to 2 minutes will kill 90% of the bacteria.  99% kill rate will need to be more so 5, 10 or 30 min?

HS classroom had it back in the 80's.   You may remember the "Goggle Cabinet"?

Watts & duration.  More of one, less of the other.   And shield your eyes/close the box.

Yup I graduated in 06' and we still had the UV goggle cabinet in the lab rooms. If you truly want to disinfect something I recommend building your own from a cabinet with a high polish or reflective interior and leaving the object in for at least 15 minutes. (Becareful with anything with a screen like your phone). As for the "magic wands" you see for cheap on the jungle site, gimmick. Small wands just do not have enough output to simply wave over something and boom its decontaminated. 

Don't let the kids have access to it - they will stare at the bulb.

UV lights are available at some medical supply stores, for use in treating psoriasis produced by some specific disorders. I don't know what frequency they use, and you might need a prescription to get one.