LOST OR STOLEN ROD AND REEL

Rate this topic

irishexit

LOST OR STOLEN ODM EVOLUTION/SALTX 6000

Built at GRUMPY'S

I say Lost OR Stolen, cause I'm not certain.

I was fishing along Breezy Point( along the beach, in toward the bay yesterday 5/4/20 @ about 2:00 in the afternoon. Heavy on shore wind/choppy/ current ripping incoming. The rod was in a rod holder just in the water, line was not in the water. I was fishing with another rod...maybe 15-20 feet into the water. I turned around a few minutes later and it was gone...Rod/Reel/Holder. 

Could it have gotten blown over or knocked over by a wave(surf was choppy with 20-25 mph winds) and washed away? Again, I WASNT on the open beach, but more towards the bay side.

Maybe ? I walked in the water up and down, dragging my feet hoping to knock into it. No luck. 

Could it have really gotten carried away by the current that far ? That quickly ?

Could someone have just walked by and grabbed it while I wasn't looking? Not certain how long I had my back turned, but I'm usually good at turning and checking my stuff. Perhaps. 

When I realized it was gone I looked in both directions and didn't see anyone...it's not like it was a parking lot where they could just duck into a car/truck or whatever. It was the open beach.

Anyway, sorry for the long post...

but if anyone hooks into a nice rod and reel..let me know.

If anyone hears of anything (for sale/waffle)...let me know.

Probability of return...0.1 %

Thanks

Edited by irishexit

I think it was taken by wave; no thief would bother to take a holder; easier just to grab a rod itself than to carry extra stuff, like rod holder.

Like you said, it was on open beach and you didn't notice anybody around.

That sucks

Good luck

Bad day fishing is still much better than good day work.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a much closer look at the American Indian.
                                                                                     - Henry Ford-

21 mins ago, irishexit said:

No.  A small swim shad hooked onto the reel.

Right, I only ask because I've seen guys chunking get their rigs pulled in by a big shark or ray.

Chasing false echoes

Send lawyers, guns, and money - Zevon

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - Thompson 

DITCH TROLL 333

52 mins ago, Popasilov said:

I think it was taken by wave; no thief would bother to take a holder; easier just to grab a rod itself than to carry extra stuff, like rod holder.

Like you said, it was on open beach and you didn't notice anybody around.

That sucks

Good luck

I'm a 100% spike guy, and this indeed  a very likely scenario.   The spike works itself loose slowly and all of a sudden it's gone.    

Marty

3 hours ago, irishexit said:

LOST OR STOLEN ODM EVOLUTION/SALTX 6000

Built at GRUMPY'S

I say Lost OR Stolen, cause I'm not certain.

I was fishing along Breezy Point( along the beach, in toward the bay yesterday 5/4/20 @ about 2:00 in the afternoon. Heavy on shore wind/choppy/ current ripping incoming. The rod was in a rod holder just in the water, line was not in the water. I was fishing with another rod...maybe 15-20 feet into the water. I turned around a few minutes later and it was gone...Rod/Reel/Holder. 

Could it have gotten blown over or knocked over by a wave(surf was choppy with 20-25 mph winds) and washed away? Again, I WASNT on the open beach, but more towards the bay side.

Maybe ? I walked in the water up and down, dragging my feet hoping to knock into it. No luck. 

Could it have really gotten carried away by the current that far ? That quickly ?

Could someone have just walked by and grabbed it while I wasn't looking? Not certain how long I had my back turned, but I'm usually good at turning and checking my stuff. Perhaps. 

When I realized it was gone I looked in both directions and didn't see anyone...it's not like it was a parking lot where they could just duck into a car/truck or whatever. It was the open beach.

Anyway, sorry for the long post...

but if anyone hooks into a nice rod and reel..let me know.

If anyone hears of anything (for sale/waffle)...let me know.

Probability of return...0.1 %

Thanks

Matt

Did you check the low water ? I know it was at mid night but the rod / reel should be along that flat somewhere.