ThrowinPlugs

180 drive alignment tabs broken...uh oh?

14 posts in this topic

So I picked up a 2019 Compass today, very lightly used (maybe once or twice). The entire yak is immaculate, the drive is clean, shifts fine between F and R, but I noticed the alignment tabs (?) Snapped off the drive... am I screwed? Do they bear any weight? I saved $600 on the thing so I'm not really complaining but the previous owner said he knew about it but never asked (there wasnt anything there when he got it, or hes lying). I'm sure I can repair it or have it warrantied (still under warranty). Also, this is just a standard 180 drive right? No flip-up fins?Thoughts? 

20200504_173427.jpg

20200504_181032.jpg

20200504_181146.jpg

Welcome to the fine world of $Hobie$. Mine are broken too- they will eventually. Keep it free from sand and clean after every trip and they will be pretty reliable for the most part. Awesome color on the compass!!  

Good luck with the compass , I am very happy with mine .I haven't had any issues with the tabs ,however I was on another forum and it seems to be happening to other owners as well . Maybe hobie would cover under warranty ? 

Not necessarily broken.  Cut off tabs fit older model kayaks if I remember correctly.

No flip up on yours. You wouldn't want that for while. Seems like a good idea but "It Works" is all the testing they seem to get.  

Familiarize yourself with the drive this fall by breaking it down. Being we don't have Jerry and no one else close by.  Your the mechanic. 

Think you made a good choice. Like a Cuddy and a Center Console. One has a **** and the other a bucket. I'd rather the bucket and open deck. 

Remember the "DOH" block to keep your rudder from being damaged while loading. Take it off before you launch. I'm seeing others do it already.

Good luck.

Good luck with the new yak! The drive may have been used in an older Hobie, hence the missing tabs. I Cover these bare cable areas with a dab grease as they can hold rust. Rinse the drive well after the salt and enjoy!

28C66F34-BFE6-4EB0-B4BC-981BC5C5EC20.jpeg

3 hours ago, Rick67 said:

Not necessarily broken.  Cut off tabs fit older model kayaks if I remember correctly.

No flip up on yours. You wouldn't want that for while. Seems like a good idea but "It Works" is all the testing they seem to get.  

Familiarize yourself with the drive this fall by breaking it down. Being we don't have Jerry and no one else close by.  Your the mechanic. 

Think you made a good choice. Like a Cuddy and a Center Console. One has a **** and the other a bucket. I'd rather the bucket and open deck. 

Remember the "DOH" block to keep your rudder from being damaged while loading. Take it off before you launch. I'm seeing others do it already.

Good luck.

Thanks for the heads up. Er... what's a DOH block? Lmao

2 hours ago, cheech said:

Good luck with the new yak! The drive may have been used in an older Hobie, hence the missing tabs. I Cover these bare cable areas with a dab grease as they can hold rust. Rinse the drive well after the salt and enjoy!

28C66F34-BFE6-4EB0-B4BC-981BC5C5EC20.jpeg

Will do!

2 hours ago, cheech said:

I Cover these bare cable areas with a dab grease as they can hold rust.

That looks like a good spot for some liquid electrical tape, i repaired  my tailgate cable casing with it, works well...

Posted (edited) · Report post

The loading block that will be forgotten about.  It attaches to the rear of the kayak.

C8D63CB7-867E-44B0-8113-A829A5C5FAEE.jpeg

Edited by Rick67

Ahh lol. Gotta get one of those if I put it in the bed, normally I car top.

2 hours ago, Rick67 said:

The loading block that will be forgotten about.  It attaches to the rear of the kayak.

C8D63CB7-867E-44B0-8113-A829A5C5FAEE.jpeg

If the previous owner had an inflatable or older hobie, they probably cut the tabs off. They just make it a bit easier when installing the drive but have no effect on performance. There were some that started breaking off for a a while but Hobie changed the geometry and reinforced it pretty soon after it started happening.

On older drives everyone cut them off...... because they didn’t know it was a spline fit shaft that could have been tapped out with a hammer.

9C088E34-3ACE-4F1F-927F-9BCBD86E5987.jpeg