Rob greenpond

Best all around surf rod 9 to 9’-6”.....Shimano, Tsunami, or Lamiglas?

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

Century S1 is exactly what you're looking for, but they are expensive.  

If you can transport a 1-piece, I would also recommend the 1201L cut down, but not the Skinner Rod.  I am not a fan of the guides used on that, personally, but he sure does make them work! 

Off your list, I would go with the Tirelejo.  

Good luck!  

Hey all thanks for the great information and opinions so far.  Also thanks Toby for helping me focus the choices to 3.

Based on the feedback and my best judgement I’m down to 3:

1. GSB 120 1L cut down

2. Tiralejo 9’6”

3. Century stealth S-1 1084/1145

Thinking the S-1 is out because the cost is about $550 ish.  Then there were 2!!

The GSB is very tempting but would be 1 piece....can hear my wife yelling at me when in car....but would be nice to fish so maybe worth the trouble!!  Tiralejo is a 50/50 split and easy transport but heard a little more prone to breaking....rather 70/30 split......both lightweight easy relaxed casting—I think?

Any thoughts between the cut GSB and Teralejo ??

Thx,

Rob

34 mins ago, Rob greenpond said:

Hey all thanks for the great information and opinions so far.  Also thanks Toby for helping me focus the choices to 3.

Based on the feedback and my best judgement I’m down to 3:

1. GSB 120 1L cut down

2. Tiralejo 9’6”

3. Century stealth S-1 1084/1145

Thinking the S-1 is out because the cost is about $550 ish.  Then there were 2!!

The GSB is very tempting but would be 1 piece....can hear my wife yelling at me when in car....but would be nice to fish so maybe worth the trouble!!  Tiralejo is a 50/50 split and easy transport but heard a little more prone to breaking....rather 70/30 split......both lightweight easy relaxed casting—I think?

Any thoughts between the cut GSB and Teralejo ??

Thx,

Rob

With the reel that you plan on using I would get the 9’6 teralejo.  I used it fishing the cape beaches for 3 seasons.  Caught many big 40 plus inch fish with it.  Awesome sp minnow rod too.  Sweet spot I would say on that rod is like 3/4oz to 2oz. Can cast up to 3 and more but not as nicely.    

I have the Tiralejo with the Ultegra CI 5500.  It's my go to combo, all I use for blues & bass.  2 - 21/2 is the sweet spot, the rod does the work for you.  Have had them now for about 3 yrs, and have not let me down.  I only get out maybe 3-4 times a month during the season if that helps. 

Aaron,  since you’ve got lots of experience with the 96 Teralejo and now own the cut GSB 1201L ....in a side by side pick would you pick still pick Teralejo if the reel was not known?

So far I like the Ultegra Ci4 5500 but could switch to something else down the road so never know.  

Called cms and they said most guys just cut 6—10” off of the back and the rod can handle everything easy 1–3.  If I go with the cut GSB I was thinking of making it 9’4” so would just cut 8” from the butt end.  This is because my garage ceiling height is exactly 9’6” and have vertical rod racks.  

Thanks for your thoughts—-just want to get it right

Hey dngrmse—thanks for chiming in!  This is a big help and has me now wondering if this is the better way to go.  I was wondering if the Teralejo could handle 2.5 oz with full force casting.  Sounds like it can.

Someone here said 1–2 oz is the sweet spot and that made me wonder because lots of plugs I through are 2 3/8...2 1/2 oz.

On 5/4/2020 at 7:47 PM, DanTheBassMan said:

I don't feel like derailing the thread, but compared to the other manufacturers, I wouldn't say so. No disrespect to Shimano, though; they absolutely create fine products. After seeing your breakdown of the FL, I had to pick on up in time for last albie season, and I don't remotely regret it. That being said, in the rod department, if they actually put their resources towards making higher-performing rods than currently available, their rods just wouldn't be as popular. Admittedly, I don't have numbers to back this hunch, but I can only imagine that the profitability of rods designed for the guys looking for the latest and greatest will always, always be less than that of rods that cater to the broader audience of people who want rods that work well enough. As the title of the thread states, the OP is looking for the "Best all around surf rod 9'-9'6"..." Companies like Century, BH, and Zenaq, among others, cater almost exclusively to the audience that wants exactly that. They can't compete with larger manufacturers like Shimano, Daiwa, et al., which can market to, and produce, volumes of product that satisfy the demand of the larger share of consumers looking for more mainstream rods. 

That being said, I'm no expert and the above are my logical conclusions from premises I have observed. If you think I'm mistaken, let's make a new thread and clear it up there or do so over PMs. I'm only happy to learn more.

If you saw what I saw........... 

Tiralejos at 300 were comparable or better than legends. 

The cumulus over a decade later is still a better lighter more sensitive and powerful rod than many of the top shelf offerings from many companies... 

The expride is thought of being top  in checking off boxes in the price category. 

Dailuna is amazing for the coin.... 

The blue rose was one of the best jigging rods on the planet last decade..and some of the other pelagic rods punch above their price... 

Then there are reels 

Daiwa has some market leading options that aren't just marketed hype..... In the surf game too... 

I'm still blown away at the 11' ballistic.. Chunked with a conventional.... Throwing 6 and a head...Rod weighs less than the. 3/4-4 legend...  Then played with schoolies in current with a ballistic lt 6000 and 20lb braid out casting the entire lineup with zero effort (yozuri twitch bait) and not feeling out of balance or out of place. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

If you don't need more than 1.5-2oz lure ratings and fish "lighter" species (i.e. not 50 lb stripers), then I've found the Lamiglas g1000 pro to be solid value for the money and they're made in the USA. I use both the 8'6" and 10'6" MH casting versions.

However, I fish the West coast for mostly smaller species like surf perch and striper so a salmon/steelhead rod is what I prefer. You might need something capable of throwing heavier lures/weights, especially if bait'n'wait.

Edited by clayne

On 5/4/2020 at 5:08 PM, DanTheBassMan said:

I've handled all the above rods, and with respect to your list, I might add a couple suggestions of my own:

1. Century Graphene Slingshot SS1145, 9'6", 3/4-3 oz

2. Century Stealth S-1 1145, 9'6", 1-4 oz

3. Century Stealth S-1 1084, 9', 1-3.5 oz

4. Century Surfmachine SM9TKWSG, 9', 3/4-4 oz

5. Century Weapon 9'6", 1/2-2 oz (somewhat conservative rating)

6. Black Hole Suzuki Special 962, 9'6", 3/4-3 oz

If another 6" isn't too scary, and you're looking for true refinement, the Zenaq Defi Muthos Sonio (10', 0.5-2.5 oz) and Defi Muthos Acurra 100H (1-4.25 oz) are definitely worth a peek.

That said, you won't know for sure until you feel them all side by side. I may be a bit biased, but my non-graphene SS1145 has provided me with nothing but pleasure doing the things you're looking for in a rod, and the newer Centurys that incorporate graphene are a cut above the previous generation. For reference, I'm located on the North Shore, and I've a bit of experience doing that kind of fishing on the Cape.

Besides the Slingshot, and to some degree, the Suzuki, all of the above rods have a more forgiving action that sounds exactly like that you're looking for. In particular, the Stealths have the most parabolic action, but they are still incredibly light, sensitive, and they cast their entire ranges very well. 

Another Century Stealth fan here. Mine is a longer 11' and the Century S2 Stealth 1326 is my favorite surf rod without question. I throws 1/2oz which is below its stated range and can get a 4+ ounce plug out there when needed. Most of my use is 1-2.5oz where it shines. Paired with a VR125 it rocks. 

I realize that is longer and more costly than what you stated in the OP but wanted to make the point on the rod's action. It is very moderate by design and you can certainly feel the rod load. Below I am throwing what I think is a 2.5oz Roberts Whistler to some marauding jacks out a bit. That is high power cast for the video but it gives you an idea of how deeply it loads. That blank was wrapped for me by Hatteras Jack so it was pricey. If you could find one of the shorter Stealths used, that might be a good solution.  

CB99CAB3-0C12-461C-AC72-675A05046ECF_1_105_c.jpeg.179bcaa49ebb09b08cfa247d7852ac46.jpeg

Thanks Tomkaz the Century Stealth sure has a beautiful arc during the cast!  Wowzer this is a tough one.

1 GSB 1201L cut to 96

2 Teralajo 96

3 Stealth S-1 1145

Wowzer tough call....like them all at least on paper.  Wished I could hold each with my Ultegra Ci4 5500 mounted......or similar reel...may get a Van staal VR 150 later down the road

Have you yet tried 3oz lures with the ultegra 5500? I find the gears have to work hard! As for the tiralejo. I have that rod. I have broken the top half and tip. For 150$ I was able to purchase a new Rod after sending them the old one. Haven’t handled any of the others. I figured at 150$ plus the 15$ to ship old one I would save a few hundred on a new rod. For me a 50 50 split is nice as it can be placed in the cabin of my ride. The rod made good work on a cow nose ray that might have gone 20 lbs or so. I am the type of caster that like to bomb casts and with a Diawa sp minnow and ultegra it launches. 

Never threw 3 oz with the Ultegra 5500 so no idea how that will work out.  I just bought a few ocean born poppers that weight 2.9 oz though.  If it is a no go may look to a Van staal VR 150 or something.

Thats as heavy as I’d go outside of the canal.

Im really stumped over which of the 3 rods to get....was leaning GSB cut to 9’4” though.  Stealth and Teralego still close by too

R

Hey Aaron 

Thanks for responding to my thread regarding the Best Beach rod the Cape Cod area.  Anyhow I was thinking of taking a ride to CMS and maybe to red top tomorrow to check out rods.  That cut GSB 1201L is near the top of my list.

Now just wondering what happens to the “Lamiglas GSB logo” when they “cut the 1201L” blank —-that is what happens the logo normally printed in silver on a typical factory rod.  Do the CMS blanks even bear this logo??   I hope so because it looks  cool to me and believe potential “resale” down the roadwould be much much better with the Lamiglas logo.

Greatly appreciate it if you can let me know. 

Rob

ill post this email in the thread too.

On 5/4/2020 at 2:08 PM, DanTheBassMan said:

I've handled all the above rods, and with respect to your list, I might add a couple suggestions of my own:

1. Century Graphene Slingshot SS1145, 9'6", 3/4-3 oz

2. Century Stealth S-1 1145, 9'6", 1-4 oz

3. Century Stealth S-1 1084, 9', 1-3.5 oz

4. Century Surfmachine SM9TKWSG, 9', 3/4-4 oz

5. Century Weapon 9'6", 1/2-2 oz (somewhat conservative rating)

6. Black Hole Suzuki Special 962, 9'6", 3/4-3 oz

If another 6" isn't too scary, and you're looking for true refinement, the Zenaq Defi Muthos Sonio (10', 0.5-2.5 oz) and Defi Muthos Acurra 100H (1-4.25 oz) are definitely worth a peek.

That said, you won't know for sure until you feel them all side by side. I may be a bit biased, but my non-graphene SS1145 has provided me with nothing but pleasure doing the things you're looking for in a rod, and the newer Centurys that incorporate graphene are a cut above the previous generation. For reference, I'm located on the North Shore, and I've a bit of experience doing that kind of fishing on the Cape.

Besides the Slingshot, and to some degree, the Suzuki, all of the above rods have a more forgiving action that sounds exactly like that you're looking for. In particular, the Stealths have the most parabolic action, but they are still incredibly light, sensitive, and they cast their entire ranges very well. 

Hey brotha, how did you like that century "weapon" 9'6" ? I may be looking to buy one to pair with my vsx150 but unfortunately havent been able to get my hands on one to feel it. Is it a faster action? or more moderate? really just looking to throw 5/8-2oz lures, distance is pretty key. I know the VS isn't best at distance but its just what I have. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Idk why anyone would want ...one...rod to do "everything"  Iv never been a fan of mediocrity so i purchase or build rods that do what I need them to do.  I disagree with the one versatile rod option and bellieve those who limit them selves to one rod are doing exactly that, limiting their casting where distance is needed, limiting presentation where a lighter touch is needed, limitting power where power is needed or overpowering small fish on small lures for no reason ....the list goes as far as one's preference which is bound to expand the more you fish.  

You want one all-round surf rod? Go buy an ugly stick.

Sarcasm aside, my personal opinion on a great allrounder is a 10'6" new run GSB.   The "old school" sucks, the new age stock m blanks are great, light blanks with power an soft action that trimmed to 10'6" from the butt, quickens an stiffens the blank enough while keeping it's lively tip and butt section power. Also a great deal lighter than an 11m when built right and with better reach and action than a more stout 10m....which has it's own strengths as well.

Edited by DeepBlue85