Aqfly

Freshwater Flies

46 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

It's been a very long time & I don't know how wild they were, but I usually went with a beetle, or inch worm pattern. Size 14 or 12. Or Ants in size 14 and sometimes 16.

I used either a spun & trimmed deer hair beetle, foam beetle, or a deer hair inch worm. .The Ant were mostly foam, but did use some tied with a dubbed body and wings. 

Dale Clemen's which has been closed for a good while now, use to have the best dense foam bodies for the ants. 

The inch worms were tied with the hair from the back side of a bucktail, taken right at the base. The dyed yellow or dyed chartreuse had the best color. 

100_6529.JPG

100_6531.JPG

100_6532.JPG

100_6533.JPG

100_6536.JPG

100_6530.JPG

100_6534.JPG

Edited by Jim H

The only time I get to fish for wild brookies is when I head up to my sister's future retirement place in VT.  I've always had good luck there with the CDC and Elk.  Another fly that produced is the Nalle Puh.  Both flies tied in Size 12 and 14.  If I were to fish a nymph it would either be a Green Weenie or a size 10 or 12 bright green mop fly.

Small with peacock herl!  I use a  #16 soft hackles with herl body.  Zugbugs too. Usually swung. Brookie can't resist

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 5/4/2020 at 4:51 PM, AQDNKsurfcaster said:

Those Flies look great I like the beetles

Thank you. The beetles are tied with micro cactus chenille and strips from sheet foam, purchased at a hobby or craft store. I like the 3 mm thick foam, but most I see now is 2 mm thick. That fly is listed in the book, "Trout Flies of the East" by Ted Leeson & Jim Schollmeyer. 

For tying ant's with foam, Bill Skilton in PA sells a pack of foam cylinders in tiny sizes in ant colors for about $2. They've been a great alternative to the bodies I used to get from Dale Clemens. Bill sells on Ebay under the seller name skilto. He also raises some chickens for hackle and sells various tying items. Bill is an excellent tyer & he & his wife are wonderful folks to deal with. 

As I mentioned, it's been a long time since I've fished for any trout. MD, where I grew up has some decent trout streams, and there used to be a few that had wild Brook trout in them. I don't know about now. I used terrestrial patterns a lot when I did get the opportunity to go, regardless of what stream or what trout might be there ( stocked or wild). It was often late summer or fall when I got on a stream that held trout, so terrestrial patterns are what I used. I also did some winter fishing some, and used nymphs, soft hackles or streamers. 

I doubt the actual patterns that you use for Brook trout are real important, unless you're fishing where there are large trout. It's probable I never hooked one over 10" long in MD. 

I know a lot of folks who fish in the mountains in NC, SC, VA & TN in some of the streams that hold wild Brook Trout and the flies they use vary, and they all catch fish. Most tie their own flies, and they all have preferences for what they like to use. 

Kid, those flies look great! Awesome collection! :theman:

Edited by Jim H