dmac95

Beginner boat buyer - need advice

Rate this topic

58 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

[EDIT] TLDR: I am looking to buy a boat. Is there a "toyota" of boats? Cheap, reliable, and bulky as a 4runner, but not as huge as a tundra? 

Howdy. I'm looking for a fishing boat to tow around with my truck, but since this is my first one, I don't want it too be too expensive, too big, too small. I'm thinking about a 20-21ft grady/parker with a cabin. I prefer to not get splashed with water and would like something to block wind during the colder season, hence my choice for a cabin.

The issue is that there aren't many of grady's parker's for sale at reasonable prices.

The only grady's that seem to be for sale are the ones with johnson motors are <10k, and that doesn't do well for me, because the motor is in my eyes the most important part - wouldn't like to swim to shore with the family in worst case scenario. 

Long story short, I would like an alternative to the two brands above. Is there any boat out there that is stable, 20-21 ft and an underdog/or is affordable? I prefer to come with Tohatsu, Yamaha, or Honda engine just for reliability sake.

Edited by dmac95

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, wasy said:

Budget? Fishing only? Family only? Fishing plus family?

eh for 6 -8 hours of fishing w/ usually group of 2/3, no more than 4 at a time - anywhere in long island sound not near immediate danger. i'll probably be between the 20ft - 60ft area around rocky boulders for seabass or in 20-30ft sand bottoms for fluke. 

Edited by dmac95

I’d stay away from Grady if only on price

Parker or Steiger but you better have 30gs regardless other wise you’ll likely need to to a bunch or work

Try looking st sea ox, very similar to Grady, but built better and usually cheaper. Best bet is to find one that needs to be repowered.

As stated, cheap pilot houses mean old or broke. You could look at maycraft as an alternative for pilot house. Since its a first boat, id find someone with one that will let you captain it, some people dont like the ride of them, personally I prefer the 360 fishability of my CC and when its cold I put curtains and wings on.

1 hour ago, MakoMike said:

Try looking st sea ox, very similar to Grady, but built better and usually cheaper. Best bet is to find one that needs to be repowered.

better and cheaper? sign me up. Is it going to be tough to find one with a yamaha/tohatsu or honda? i see many boats with old johnson's, but heard from various people to buy only yamahas, tohatsu, honda, and mercury.

8 mins ago, dmac95 said:

better and cheaper? sign me up. Is it going to be tough to find one with a yamaha/tohatsu or honda? i see many boats with old johnson's, but heard from various people to buy only yamahas, tohatsu, honda, and mercury.

You don't need one with those engines. Just build the price of a new engine/install into your thinking when buying something. Besides there are loads of old Johnson/evinrudes out there still doing workhorse duty. 

Do you have a lot of boating experience? Because the older Johnson’s are really forgiving for newer boaters. They’re not great on gas or oil, but they’re reliable and pretty cheap to fix as well as being very forgiving for someone not knowing how to pop in and out gear, where you’ll do a little damage at time to the gears by going slow. 

8 mins ago, canalsharpie said:

Do you have a lot of boating experience? Because the older Johnson’s are really forgiving for newer boaters. They’re not great on gas or oil, but they’re reliable and pretty cheap to fix as well as being very forgiving for someone not knowing how to pop in and out gear, where you’ll do a little damage at time to the gears by going slow. 

how old are we talking for johnsons?

I think you'd do well with an Aquasport, lots of people like those cuddy cabins.  Grady and Parker are two of the most coveted and expensive brands so I'm not surprised it went over your budget.  NADAguides is your friend for pricing.   C hawks are simple budget boats but built very sturdy.  I think they make a cuddy.

Go down to a local marina and take a look around, check out some boats.  Then do your research on brands.  There's only a few brands to really stay away from  (think bayliner), what's more important is how the owner treated the boat.  A once beautiful grady or whaler that had the sh** beaten out of it could still be leaky and falling apart and full of issues.  Seems like you have a lot of homework to do.  Get a surveyor, and for the mother of god learn to operate a boat before you buy one.  Find someone to show you a few things.  

24 mins ago, MakoMike said:

You don't need one with those engines. Just build the price of a new engine/install into your thinking when buying something. Besides there are loads of old Johnson/evinrudes out there still doing workhorse duty. 

I was originally planning on slapping in a used yamaha with 130psi on each valve. They have them on ebay for 4-5k. I figure to just get an entire setup from scratch and buy the trailer , hull , end engine seperately. But am not sure.

Just now, srm413 said:

I just saw a 2004 22' parker cuddy cabin with a 200 Yamaha for $22,500 in Southington, ct.

little too long for me to tow. I'm targetting 19-21 ft the most, 150-200 hp, and preferrably for 10k. Something dirty as heck with a solid hull/engine psi will do.