JCH

Weekly Tying Challenge, Week Of 5/4: EP Minnow

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

We're back!

The EP minnow is one of the finest flats flies there is.  I caught my first tarpon on one, and it's been my most productive snook fly ever.  If I had to bring one fly to the Everglades, it would be an EP Everglades Special.

Lots of ways to tie them, color variations are endless.  Let's see 'em!

My favorite part of this material/pattern is the trimmed "mowhawk"  at the front - so I just tie the tail on a mono extender and make the whole thing a fuzzy sandeel in honor of Mr T of course.  

IMG_8324.JPG

IMG_8326.JPG

This one seems not as popular.  Too bad, I love EP Minnows: 

1. You can mimic the profile of virtually any bait fish
  2. They land very soft, great for flats/sight fishing
  3. They push a ton of water, so they work well for blind casting / prospecting too
  4. They use one material (and an inexpensive one at that - especially using Congo hair from Fly Tyers Dungeon)
  5. It's easy to tie when traveling (packs easily, don't have to worry about wildlife import/export laws with hides or capes)
  6. The color combos are limitless
  7. They're extremely effective
  8. They're extremely durable

I admit that tying them lacks some of the charm of using natural materials, and they're not beautiful in the same way a flatwing is.  But I caught my first tarpon on an EP minnow, and probably 90% of my snook and redfish.  Great for all kinds of bass.  No question they are a confidence fly for me.

Anyway, here's my take on a peanut bunker.

5eb69e8894d91_IMG_1627copy.jpg.91aac56e3d8618753b0752a0ea2a4810.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

Okay, never tied one before and I have all kinds of wig hair kicking around so called up the Trident video on these and gave it a whirl.      1st attempt not so bad but not nearly as nice as the video.   Think I need to use less material ?   

This one tied with iridescent yellow, white, and olive wig hair on a size #1 mustad stainless.

HT

5eb6cb7d2583a_epminnow2.png.927369f6e37c1d65c177711d014d7d2a.png

Edited by HillTop

I'm of those who doesn't use EP, based on my tying experience with deer hair, any material that requires me to trim it to shape is best left alone.  The two main materials I use for minnow/bait fish patterns are Mirror Image that I flash blend myself and Senyo Laser Dub.

First fly is Mirror Image

Second fly is Senyo Laser Dub

P9270303.JPG

P4210217.JPG

1 hour ago, Orca said:

Not everyone has ep fibres .

For sure.  I encourage anyone who is interested to check out Fly Tyers Dungeon.  They have gift boxes - there's enough fiber, flash and eyes in there to last you a lifetime, for under $50.

48 mins ago, Philly said:

Second fly is Senyo Laser Dub

Is that a parachute post on the front?  What's that for?  How does that work?

It's a piece of a 1/4" foam cylinder.  It helps keep the fly in the surface film, rather than slowly sinking.  When I retrieve it stays on the surface, and the foam helps create a wake.  I can even pop it a little bit.  Haven't caught anything on it yet, but have had a couple of bass take a swipe at it.

one more after dinner with Neon yellow..... still struggling a little possibly a little better   Thought these would be an easier tie. :(

5eb74a652d2a2_epminnow3.png.22a00ef3207a0c2196520e1d8bac1980.png

@HillTop - I think they look great, and will definitely catch.  

A couple tips I've found helpful:

- Less is more.  When tying it on, take what you think you need and divide it by 3 - Puglisi himself told me that.  On the best EP minnows you can read a newspaper through them.  Bulkier at the head, for sure, but throughout the body and tail, it should be almost transparent.

- When trimming - and this is true of all trimming - you can always cut off more, you can't add it back on.  It's what I told my wife when she gave me my quarantine hair cut.

- A comb is very useful.  I use a little plastic lice comb, but any fine toothed comb will work.  Tease it out and you can see better where you need to trim.

A few other examples:

5eb7fdfe569f9_IMG_1636copy.jpg.c30eac26efc516a210ba6a69d1262cf6.jpg

Two I posted a while ago. One is all EP Fibers, the other Congo Hair. Can't remember which as for me there is no difference in look or texture. But a big difference in price. 20190620_152048.jpg.3aecbc1ae046f923f8d33ea83f363000.jpg20190620_151851.jpg.643d7efcc3f7901c4559da682b3a6857.jpg  

Just saw this thread. One a few tied this a.m. for a customer. Actually tied with Congo hair but oh well. 2/0 SC15. 

62CA006D-850C-42B9-9B06-4ECE5622A602.jpeg

13 hours ago, Seadogg said:

Just saw this thread. One a few tied this a.m. for a customer. Actually tied with Congo hair but oh well. 2/0 SC15. 

Really nice.  Any tips on trimming?