Fishfinder Cables while Cartopping?

Finally got the boat wet. It's the maiden run for the more or less fully rigged version of the Prowler 13 I bought last year. Gopro decided to not actually video anything, so that update will have to wait.

Meanwhile, I put dielectric grease on all the connectors, battery inside the hull, transducer and battery to the head unit in the cockpit. When I got to the pond, the cockpit cables had all manner of schmutz on the contacts that I had to spend a few minutes cleaning up. Pretty obvious, in retrospect. Crap falls on the kayak in the garage, crap blows off the kayak onto the grease. 

Is there a nifty cover out there, or should I just velcro a baggie over the connectors? Also or: is it safe to leave the head unit installed and plugged in during travel?

Edited by ermghoti

Massachusetts EPO:

1-800-632-8075

54 mins ago, dbjpb said:

Sometimes less is more . You may want to consider reducing the amount of dielectric grease you are using?

It's not that gummed up, but this is its first time out too. I tried to get just enough to get a layer throughout the contacts.

Massachusetts EPO:

1-800-632-8075

14 hours ago, ermghoti said:

When I got to the pond, the cockpit cables had all manner of schmutz on the contacts that I had to spend a few minutes cleaning up. Pretty obvious, in retrospect. Crap falls on the kayak in the garage, crap blows off the kayak onto the grease. 

IMO, you don't really need grease when fresh water fishing if that's all you do.... it's the salt that does all the corroding...

I actually started a thread with the same exact question a couple of years ago. I bough some small caps to go over the connectors but in the end I just coiled them up and stuffed them in the map pocket and I haven't had any issues. I do try to avoid getting salt water on them when loading/unloading, though. 

I don't have a convenient pocket, and I installed the cable too short to reach the hatch, thinking of keeping the cockpit cleaner. I can bag them for storage, and either transport like that, or mount the head unit.

Massachusetts EPO:

1-800-632-8075

11 hours ago, lafalot said:

You would think fish finder manufacturers would be jumping at the chance to charge $10 a pop for cheap rubber caps

I guess if you're conspiracy minded, you figure there's more money to be made replacing head units from corroded contacts.

Edited by ermghoti

Massachusetts EPO:

1-800-632-8075

Lowrance did have them standard with the cheapest models.  These were from a $200 4" model from 3 years ago.

Now spend $800 and get nada.  

IMG_1728.JPG

KFA-NY

Kayak Wars/Team Fishing Lab

Yellow Eyed Devils

(*member formerly known as ''rick smithtown)

1 hour ago, lafalot said:

Since I'm in the process of installing a fish finder and wiring up my kayak I did a little searching.. seems like a slightly more elegant solution than a baggie:

I had seen that. I bet he can sell you some propane and propane accessories, tell you hwhat.

Massachusetts EPO:

1-800-632-8075