Popasilov

Sea Robins

Rate this topic

46 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, FriedBeans said:

Jumbos at West End 2

Is that from earlier seasons or have they opened WE2? That would be great news.

On 5/12/2020 at 9:25 AM, CWitek said:

Just grab them by the lower lip, like a bass.  No teeth, nothing that can cause damage.  I spent years getting spined by the things, missing the obvious handle, until a friend mentioned it to me a couple of years ago.  Makes handling/unhooking easy.

but not as much fun as grabbing them by the nose

On 5/5/2020 at 0:47 AM, carznfish said:

Does anyone ever use them for bait besides a strip bait on a jig ? I saw a guy chunking them a few times on the north shore. Never saw him catch anything but he was convinced it works 

On more than one occasion I’ve hooked a searobin and as I was reeling it to shore a bluefish (presumably) bit it clean in half sending a blood spurting robin head right in my direction. So I assume they’de work quit well as live bait. 

8 mins ago, willcodfish said:

any good recipes for sea robin..heard theyre tastey from dorsal  back nice chunck of meat...are they worth catching and cooking or just a hobby lite action thing...thanks for info if any

They’re great to eat, seriously. I prefer them over fluke sometimes as I find their meat a bit more firm. Great to just fry up and also great in stews. No specific recipes but this is my experience with them. 

Definitely worth cooking up if you’re on the hunt for meat.

6 mins ago, gimbap1707 said:

They’re great to eat, seriously. I prefer them over fluke sometimes as I find their meat a bit more firm. Great to just fry up and also great in stews. No specific recipes but this is my experience with them. 

Definitely worth cooking up if you’re on the hunt for meat.

kool ty for reply..ill givem a shot ..try frying them up in lil cornmeal :th:

10 hours ago, willcodfish said:

any good recipes for sea robin..heard theyre tastey from dorsal  back nice chunck of meat...are they worth catching and cooking or just a hobby lite action thing...thanks for info if any

Breading and frying works fine (it helps to pull out the small bones before breading).  I don't make fish tacos, but people who do have told me that sea robin works very well for that.  And they work in chowders and seafood stews.  The classic French recipe for bouliabaisse (which I probably spelled wrong) calls for "gurnard," which is what they call their local sea robin species.

Had a few already this year, one fatty I tossed back and then immediately regretted not keeping. Sure I’ll find another one soon to make up some fried fish tacos.  

I love sea robin when I am fluking and not catching fluke. They saved the day for me because they fight and my kids love how they look like a bird with fins like wings. Their head looks like a duck. They are meaty and make good strip bait. Come to midtown Manhattan and be shocked they were charging $49.21 for one sea robin (Gurnard) fillet with potatoes. I am glad they are around.:hooked: