Popasilov

Sea Robins

Rate this topic

46 posts in this topic

Hoped to pick a few up for dinner yesterday while fishing for fluke, but didn't see one, etiher on my boat or on anyone else's.

4 hours ago, GarbageFish said:

I pulled some 1-2” robins out of a bass a few years ago

Really?

Damned horned demons, love to do the death roll like an alligator to tangle my hi lo rig and stab me in the hand 3 times.

Can't imagine how  bass would swallow that, but then again I've heard wild stories of what has been taken out of a COWs belly.

I once found a small dead sea robin and used it for bait when I have no more bait for fluke. I caught a bluefish that spitted out a crab but destroyed the sea robin in pieces. I hooked the crab as bait and caught a sea robin. Cycle of life.:eek: I cannot wait until they land into my hot frying pan. LOL:drool:

On 5/5/2020 at 0:51 PM, baldadonis2002 said:

Can't imagine how  bass would swallow that, but then again I've heard wild stories of what has been taken out of a COWs belly.

Fishfinder, I have only really pursued the striper fishery maybe the last 2 year.

That thread just BLEW MY MIND !!!

I wouldn't believe it if people didn't snap photos, that was amazing.

Thanks for sharing.

I saw multiple sea robins feeding on top the other day in Jamaica bay. It really weirded me out. I would hear a splash, look that way and see a sea robin jumping out the water eating? Lol 

34 mins ago, CLFish5 said:

I saw multiple sea robins feeding on top the other day in Jamaica bay. It really weirded me out. I would hear a splash, look that way and see a sea robin jumping out the water eating? Lol 

Remember one year up in Long Island Soiund when you would never cast to a surface disturbance without trying to see what made it first, because most of the time, whenn you cast to the break, you ended up with a sea robin grabbing your bucktail.

But they were fun once the bass bite died if you brought a fly rod.

23 hours ago, baldadonis2002 said:

And good luck getting a double header off the hooks

Just grab them by the lower lip, like a bass.  No teeth, nothing that can cause damage.  I spent years getting spined by the things, missing the obvious handle, until a friend mentioned it to me a couple of years ago.  Makes handling/unhooking easy.