fishhappy

704z Manual Pickup for Bait

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, fishhappy said:

I have a 704z that I plan on converting to a manual pickup. Will this work for bait?

Not a good idea

Gary (Gary2 lures) used to fish his MP 704 with bait. I saw him get spooled bacause the the rod was spiked while he took a piss and line had fallen off and he didn't realize a fish was on. Watched him lose a bunch of fish because he couldn't get the line back on the roller to set the hook before the fish dropped the bait.

It's more of a PIA than it's worth. Used 704's are cheap, get another one with a bail

Posted (edited) · Report post

10 hours ago, fishhappy said:

The bail trips on casts every once In awhile. I guess I could start by replacing the rotar brake.

the bail on the 704z is a horrorshow.  Get rid of the bail and its fine to soak bait if thats what you plan to do. I uses mine occasionally for that. Keep in mind the spool likes to turn a bit on a cast so it is possible to catch the roller if you arent careful but other than that the bailess 704 is better than the bailed imho. Also I do not spike the rod when I chunk I hold it so I dunno if the line coming off the roller is a thing that happens often.

Edited by genu

8 mins ago, genu said:

the bail on the 704z is a horrorshow.  Get rid of the bail and its fine to soak bait if thats what you plan to do. I uses mine occasionally for that. Keep in mind the spool likes to turn a bit on a cast so it is possible to catch the roller if you arent careful but other than that the bailess 704 is better than the bailed imho. Also I do not spike the rod when I chunk I hold it so I dunno if the line coming off the roller is a thing that happens often.

I usually spike it when the bite is slow or when I have a couple rods out.

I fish bailess when chunking and have never had a problem . I’ve used a 704 and vs 300. 
  I can’t imagine all tension being lost on the line. Maybe if it’s dead calm and no sweep at all . 

if you have your 704 handle bottomed out down , the handle will not move and the bail will not flip over 

6 hours ago, fishhappy said:

Without the trip lever, what holds the bail down when you pull it back?

I put a plastic washer in between the bail screw and rotor to create friction so the bail stays closed. Just tighten it down. It works.

15 hours ago, LB said:

Replace the rubber brake that the trip lever ride on when the bail is in the open position. Picking up the line when the fish is on a run could lead to a nice gash (cut ) on your finger if you're using a braided line.

Key# 21B  Part# 21B-704 Roter Brake

I am leaning toward replacing the brake and keeping the bail. 

13 hours ago, Sudsy said:

Not a good idea

Gary (Gary2 lures) used to fish his MP 704 with bait. I saw him get spooled bacause the the rod was spiked while he took a piss and line had fallen off and he didn't realize a fish was on. Watched him lose a bunch of fish because he couldn't get the line back on the roller to set the hook before the fish dropped the bait.

It's more of a PIA than it's worth. Used 704's are cheap, get another one with a bail

10 hours ago, Bwt570 said:

I put a plastic washer in between the bail screw and rotor to create friction so the bail stays closed. Just tighten it down. It works.

If I do keep the bail, I am going to try the method with the plastic washer.

13 mins ago, fishhappy said:

If I do keep the bail, I am going to try the method with the plastic washer.

I used one of those plastic grocery store bonus points cards and cut a washer out to the exact size needed. I too am not fond of the bailless reels so I just tinkered until I got something to work. The bail has not closed once on me while casting. I am surprised nobody has posted this idea before. 

12 hours ago, steve44 said:

if you have your 704 handle bottomed out down , the handle will not move and the bail will not flip over 

Its baffling watching people lose lures to premature bail flip and ignore me when I tell them "handle down!"

Spike rod with slight angle toward water after cast ,tighten line with soft rod tip slightly bent ,make sure very light drag set, sit on ass and wait for strike.

On 5/3/2020 at 11:03 AM, fishhappy said:

The bail trips on casts every once In awhile. I guess I could start by replacing the rotar brake.

In my opinion most of the time the cause is the reel not being timed. 

I may have fixed the problem with grease. I packed it with blue marine grease and when I opened it, the reel was half full, like the grease compressed, so I packed it again. Now it’s tight the clicking is muffled, and The rotor does not move during a cast. I ordered the rubber brake as a precaution.

Also, if anyone is interested, I can share an idea to modify two parts to make the reel manual with a bail. The parts would have to be made, this project requires a skilled tradesman. I’m not looking for anything other than passing along the thoughts.