fishhappy

704z Manual Pickup for Bait

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

I don’t use a spinner for bait usually. But, if you spike the rod I could see the line going slack and coming off the roller. Why not just use the bail? 

I don't use spinners at all. Shag is right, if the line goes slack it will come off the roller. Friend of mine ties a rubberband above the reel on the rod and tucks the line under it.  Keeps the the line tight and it won't come off the roller. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

58 mins ago, Shag said:

I don’t use a spinner for bait usually. But, if you spike the rod I could see the line going slack and coming off the roller. Why not just use the bail? 

The bail trips on casts every once In awhile. I guess I could start by replacing the rotar brake.

Edited by fishhappy

25 mins ago, HerringPoacher said:

i use my 704z with manual pickup for bait all them time never had any issue at all.

23 mins ago, littletunnie said:

I used 704 reels with MPU for years never had line come off roller. 

Any special trick to it?

Just remove the bail trip components from the reel so it wont flip shut when you cast. I did this with my 712z and it works great, just close the bail manually. 

16 mins ago, Bwt570 said:

Just remove the bail trip components from the reel so it wont flip shut when you cast. I did this with my 712z and it works great, just close the bail manually. 

Without the trip lever, what holds the bail down when you pull it back?

Only tips that I can think of the other user said. Using correct weight for tide, a well sunk sand spike, and tightening up the line once rod is in the spike. If you do go with the manual bail I don’t think you’ll have any problems. Tight lines!

I fish conventional for bait. My second choice would be a baitrunner spinning reel if the payload is under 5 oz. You could wait hours sometimes for a pickup and these two options are bullet proof. Any less is really a poor choice.

5 mins ago, redfin said:

I fish conventional for bait. My second choice would be a baitrunner spinning reel if the payload is under 5 oz. You could wait hours sometimes for a pickup and these two options are bullet proof. Any less is really a poor choice.

I have conventional and a baitrunner, I was looking for options on a good cheap reel that may say some good amount of salt water soaking if I go and fish on the second sandbar.

5 hours ago, fishhappy said:

The bail trips on casts every once In awhile. I guess I could start by replacing the rotar brake.

Replace the rubber brake that the trip lever ride on when the bail is in the open position. Picking up the line when the fish is on a run could lead to a nice gash (cut ) on your finger if you're using a braided line.

Key# 21B  Part# 21B-704 Roter Brake

2 hours ago, fishhappy said:

I have conventional and a baitrunner, I was looking for options on a good cheap reel that may say some good amount of salt water soaking if I go and fish on the second sandbar.

Didn’t realize that......I would not be taking my bait runner to a second bar for sure. I can see why you picked the 704 then. Good choice.  I also liked the 650 and 750 SSM’s as far as getting wet they were very tough reels imo. The gearing was lower grade than the Z series but they used to hold up very well being wet for days on end during an extended trips. They were much tougher reels than history gives them credit for being.