FizzyFish

Coronavirus’s new mystery: It’s causing strokes in healthy people

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

As more people around the world are infected with Covid-19, we’re learning that the novel coronavirus can not only cause severe respiratory illness, but also can attack just about every major organ system in the body. And lately doctors have been sounding the alarm about a disturbing new outcome: blood clots and strokes, which are striking even healthy young people with no known risk factors — and sometimes no other symptom of the virus.

An April 28 report in the New England Journal of Medicine details the cases of five people, ages 33 to 49, in New York City who had strokes and subsequently tested positive for Covid-19. All of them had large-vessel strokes outside of the hospital before experiencing other severe symptoms of the virus; one of them has since died.

“It was very surprising to see the increase in this large-vessel stroke in young people,” Thomas Oxley, a neurosurgeon at Mount Sinai in New York and a coauthor of the new report, tells Vox. As he explains, “The bigger the vessel, the bigger the stroke.”

“It’s the biggest story emerging” about Covid-19, he adds. The rate of large-vessel stroke victims under 50 they saw was seven times higher than before the pandemic.

Blood clots are also causing other unexpected problems for Covid-19 patients. For example, Broadway actor Nick Cordero, who has been hospitalized since March with severe Covid-19, had his right leg amputated earlier this month after doctors were unable to control clotting there.

And many patients are developing small clots in their lungs, reducing the amount of oxygen they can move into their bodies. For others, their blood is clogging dialysis machines (which has been a problem due to the amount of kidney failure this illness is also causing).

“I’m a hematologist, and this is unprecedented,” says Jeffrey Laurence of Weill Cornell Medical College, who has been in the field for three decades. “This is not like a disease we’ve seen before.”

Nearly every patient he has seen for blood disorders in the past month and a half has had Covid-19. “I’ve never had so many consults in my life. These people are clotting, and we can’t shut it off.”

Doctors and researchers are racing to figure out why this is happening, and how they might be able to best use existing therapies, such as blood thinners, to mitigate it in patients. The clots and strokes also add to the list of potential symptoms some people with Covid-19 might experience early on — and gives another possible reason that the number of coronavirus-related deaths around the country is looking far larger than those officially being counted in hospitals.

Edited by TimS
links

no mystery ….If they keep looking hard enough to scare us...they'll probably find out it even causes rabies....or hoof in mouth disease....

9 mins ago, FizzyFish said:

so far reading threads on this forum is not mandatory.   

But at times can be quite entertaining...………..IMO

Posted (edited) · Report post

23 mins ago, b-ware said:

But at times can be quite entertaining...………..IMO

yes, it can and you get to see people without their masks, literal or otherwise.  :D

Even though many of them have their heads buried in the sands of their own ignorance.

Edited by FizzyFish

15 mins ago, FizzyFish said:

Neither is watching the news obsessively 

16 mins ago, FizzyFish said:

thank goodness for that or there would be more deaths from your post then the virus. 

19 mins ago, west tide said:

Neither is watching the news obsessively 

FWIW, i do not watch "news" on TV. 

I wonder how much the increase in inactivity has to do with these blood clots.

When you are forced to stay home and sit around doing nothing, increases in blood clots are inevitable.

Go figure.

4 hours ago, makaha said:

no mystery ….If they keep looking hard enough to scare us...they'll probably find out it even causes rabies....or hoof in mouth disease....

Will someone please just me know when it's safe to come out from under my bedsheets?

28 mins ago, Beastly Backlash said:

I wonder how much the increase in inactivity has to do with these blood clots.

When you are forced to stay home and sit around doing nothing, increases in blood clots are inevitable.

Go figure.

Bingo.

The unsurprising result of the panic mongers convincing everyone the air is toxic and publicly shaming people for being outside.

So..... binge watching shows, excessive time playing video games, sitting on long flights can cause clotting issues buy sitting and not moving for long duration of time.  Yeah I’d like to see that data