iwantmypie

I.D. Help Rebel’s Bomber...Danny?

22 posts in this topic

48 mins ago, XBMX said:

Best product I found for replacement lips can be fabricated from the removable inserts found in Plano Boxes. Correct thickness, playable, easily shaped on a grinder wheel or sander, and they don't shatter like originals.

Great idea, X. Timely as well, for I was just looking at a couple of smaller missing-lipped Rebels and casting about for a source of material.

Thanks for sharing!

PS.  What do you (and @DZ) use for adhesive?  

8 mins ago, Southcoastphil said:

Great idea, X. Timely as well, for I was just looking at a couple of smaller missing-lipped Rebels and casting about for a source of material.

Thanks for sharing!

Clean and sand well, Z Poxy 5min epoxy. Clean excess with denatured alcohol 

1 hour ago, Southcoastphil said:

Thanks for sharing!

I used two ton epoxy.  Hardest part of the procedure was removing the part of the existing lip that might remain inside the head of the plug when the lip broke.

1 hour ago, DZ said:

I used two ton epoxy.  Hardest part of the procedure was removing the part of the existing lip that might remain inside the head of the plug when the lip broke.

I don’t think I’ll have any problems with that. 

5F8B8BC6-5D46-443E-88B3-C4EEAC37382D.jpeg.f658e2a4aa4c07303bee5bba57a1e23e.jpeg

3 hours ago, XBMX said:

Best product I found for replacement lips can be fabricated from the removable inserts found in Plano Boxes. Correct thickness, playable, easily shaped on a grinder wheel or sander, and they don't shatter like originals.

Great idea, God knows I have enough extra Plano box inserts laying around.

Since I have a whole bin full of Plano box dividers I decided to give this a shot.  With my creativity no longer constrained by tiny little bits of this or that, I just letterrip!  

60f8f17b2c92d_IMG_5813(2).JPG.c4f8e0a95846338d020c678ca2401aca.JPG

Sure, this might look a little unorthodox to some of you, and it's no LD casting champ, but this thing swings, waggles, dives, bumps and jumps more 'n a sloshed sailor on a Saturday night!

Given that too much of everything is just enough (RIP, Captain Trips), I decided to go *large* next:

60f8f1706ed58_IMG_5817(2).JPG.068fe9de30be1b30ffddf86a2cbc4c56.JPG

You all know about casting a potato chip, right?  This was like casting a sheet of paper. 

You'll just have to trust me when I say that it put the NJ beach 'dozers to shame with the wall of water that it pushed.  I tried to take a video for you, but I didn't anticipate the design flaw that caused it to violently swing to the right on my very first fast crank of the reel handle.  That tsunami hit me just as I was reaching for my phone, launching me and my gear, azz over teakettle, some 15 feet back into more rocks.  

Upon returning from the ER (they'd moved the head bandages, at my insistence, just enough to allow some vision in one eye), I began the forensics to determine the cause of this tragedy.  Although I initially blamed the protruding pin on the right side of the lip 'dozer blade (I bet you did too.  Right?), that was *not* the primary cause.

I have only myself to blame for my injuries, for in my excitement to get this winged avenger into the water, I rushed the glue up such that only the bottom of the blade was attached to the mouth opening (and not well attached at that, as I was soon to learn).  Had I not grossly underestimated the tremendous water-generated force to which the blade would be subjected, I would have foreseen the almost-immediate partial adhesion failure that allowed the left side of the lip to lift up until it was wedged against the roof of the opening, causing the drastic hydrodynamic change that threw the plug to the right more quickly than a lizard's tongue snatches a fly.

Have some compassion now, mates, and help me avoid another visit to the ER with new injuries by telling me how you've successfully addressed the difference between the thickness of the opening (0.095" for this plug, which is essentially the same as the thickness of the intact lip in my F40) and that of the 'dozer blade (0.067" for this particular blade.  Other blades mic'd at 0.057" and 0.049".).

60f8f175b9f54_IMG_5816(2).JPG.1112dd8c91be7c983c10e0f139234c63.JPG

Do you make up the difference with epoxy?  Cut small shims to wedge it and glue it?  Double up on the thinnest blade to create a laminated blade?  Tap a pair of vertical holes into the head of the plug and use screws to hold the lip in place (a la Pikie lip)?

Traumatized minds need to know.

Edited by Southcoastphil

What do you use to make up the difference between the thickness of the opening (0.095" for the orange Rebel, which is essentially the same as the thickness of the intact lip in my F40) and that of the plastic lips?  The Plano piece in my example is 0.067".  Other dividers thicknesses are 0.057" and 0.049".