iwantmypie

I.D. Help Rebel’s Bomber...Danny?

35 posts in this topic

Picked up some old plugs from my wife’s grandfather. Already put new hooks and swivels on the plastic lip swimmers, haven’t touched the metal lips yet but would like to. On the metal lips the swivels still seem to move fine, not sure if the hooks are original but they are all cut. Not sure if it’s worth trying to completely take apart and replace swivels or just throw new hooks on.

Anyway...

One Bomber Long A Mark Sosin 6” 1oz. Digging the reflective material on the inside of the plug. Easiest one to fully ID. 

Two 7” Rebel Minnows (says so on the lip). One has molded eyes and weighs 1.6oz and the other one has no molded eyes and weighs 1.3oz. Both have a nice textured plastic, not smooth. Would these be F90 Windcheaters?

The green mack plastic lip has “Windcheater” on it faintly in cursive towards the tail. 6” 1.7oz. Would this be a Rebel or Bomber? Or neither?

The white with blue/purple swirled metal lip is actually plastic. 7” body (no lip) 3.2oz. Can not find any markings. Any ideas?

Green Mack metal lip is wood. Looks like a Danny but possibly a knockoff? The pattern looks different from some of his other green macks that I could find online. 8” body (no lip) 3.0oz. Also has a barrel swivel on the nose wire which seems odd.

Plan on fishing all of these, at least try them out. Not looking to stick this on the shelf without giving them a chance. Thanks for any insight. 

4E82D900-A5F8-42E0-882E-57988518EEBF.jpeg

E65C5261-54DA-4E29-9B09-E10998348B9D.jpeg

48A2F662-3ACF-4ADE-8687-3D9F17ABA447.jpeg

F8AA2D20-06A7-45CC-8BB0-EDEFDBF14674.jpeg

Posted (edited) · Report post

Two Rebel F40’s one sinking one floating, Bomber 16a Sossin and a second generation Bomber

Edited by XBMX

1 hour ago, webfoot44 said:

Left row is a Gibbs gts Mac and I believe the other is an atom 40. 

You appear to be correct! Sharp eye!

Any idea how old the Gibbs would be? The yellow decal eyes are older ones right?

11 hours ago, XBMX said:

Two Rebel F40’s one sinking one floating, Bomber 16a Sossin and a second generation Bomber

Thank you for clarifying!

22 hours ago, iwantmypie said:

Thank you for clarifying!

I believe the top Rebel is an F-90 due to the lower line tie and rounder tail, The lip should be wider than the lip on the Rebel underneath it.

Edited by SC

9 hours ago, SC said:

I believe the top Rebel is an F-90 due to the lower line tie and rounder tail, The lip should be wider than the lip on the Rebel underneath it.

Lips appears to be the same size from what I can tell but you are correct the line ties are slightly different. 

AE2C6F92-20F6-43C4-A619-384D1A38BB3F.jpeg

You are correct. Strange how the front eye is lower. I'm only working off memory but remember the F-90 eyes were lower  than the F-40 eyes

19 hours ago, SC said:

You are correct. Strange how the front eye is lower. I'm only working off memory but remember the F-90 eyes were lower  than the F-40 eyes

I just noticed that the one without eyes has some sort of rattle to it, sounds like there's a metal slug of some type in there. I can't figure out how to edit my original post but I got the weights mixed up on the Rebels, the without eyes one is the heavier of the two.

A F-90 has a much fatter body (the cross section). Without better photos I would have to think that the prior owner just bent down the eye in a attempt to get it to swim higher.

13 mins ago, iwantmypie said:

I just noticed that the one without eyes has some sort of rattle to it, sounds like there's a metal slug of some type in there. I can't figure out how to edit my original post but I got the weights mixed up on the Rebels, the without eyes one is the heavier of the two.

The sinkers had a ball on each side of the belly link. Probably is a sinker although I've never seen one not marked on the lip or belly. Who knows,  just throw it in your toilet top tank and find out in seconds

On 5/5/2020 at 3:15 PM, SC said:

The sinkers had a ball on each side of the belly link. Probably is a sinker although I've never seen one not marked on the lip or belly. Who knows,  just throw it in your toilet top tank and find out in seconds

Figured I’d dig this one back up instead of starting a new thread. 

Steve, confirmed the one on the left is indeed a sinker (S40?). Ended up stripping it completely down to the bone plastic and it worked great in rough water during the fall.

I haven’t touched it once this season but looking at it now the lip somehow shrank noticeably and is now hard/brittle. Assuming my own fault from poor storage in a hot car but then again these were in a hot attic for over 30 years so I’m not really sure. 

(same two original plugs for reference)

A52A95C4-7785-474E-904E-DBBE11EFEA47.jpeg.37cf909234fdbdff46ce836e833cccde.jpeg

Curious if this was a common issue with the old Rebels. I haven’t had a chance to throw the S40 yet since discovering this but I know it’s going to dive and (potentially swim?) differently.

Would a lip swap be an easy fix for these? I ended up inheriting even more F40’s since the original post and plan on refinishing most of them—might try pulling a lip from one of these just hoping not to overdue it with the heat gun. If memory serves me correct I think @DZ had mentioned fashioning makeshift lips for the old Rebels from plastic bottles? Curious now to possibly even experiment with different lip sizes. 

The Rebel lips were notorious for coming loose and /or breaking, though not as bad as the Hellcat. They are easy to replace with other Rebel lips, but bear in mind that although it is OK to and in some cases better to replace a smaller  lip with a larger one, I don't recommend adding the smaller lip used on the S-40 to the floaters as the action will be diminished. Many of my F-80 Windcheaters had F-90 Super Minnow lips added and were top producers. They are easily identified and are marked "Rebel Floater" on the lip. I have not produced my own lips, but I imagine that they can be cut from a sheet of Lexan, or similar product, of the correct thickness.

Best product I found for replacement lips can be fabricated from the removable inserts found in Plano Boxes. Correct thickness, playable, easily shaped on a grinder wheel or sander, and they don't shatter like originals.

Edited by XBMX

5 mins ago, XBMX said:

Best product I found for replacement lips can be fabricated from the removable inserts found in Plano Boxes. Correct thickness, playable, easily shaped on a grinder wheel or sander, and they don't shatter like originals.

Pliable replacement lips were very advantageous in the rocky areas I would fish.  They lasted much longer than stock lips in my home water.