Last_Cast

Bucktails vs. Paddletail/Swim Shads

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

I've been thinking about this one for a while... What do you guys see as the crucial difference between the bucktail and a paddletail jig or swim shad? When would you use one vs. the other? What does a bucktail do that a paddletail or Zoom on a jig head cannot do, and vice versa?

1 min ago, hookmeup said:

Paddle tails and shads throw off vibrations

Bucktails flutter and breathe in current

Great point. Which situation calls for one vs. the other, in your opinion?

I prefer bucktails cuz I don’t have to change trailers constantly because the swimbait rips. I find paddle tails definitely get more hits though and is more versatile. 

I can always count on a bucktail in almost any situation whether in an inlet or off the beach and as stated above, a bucktail flows more smoothly in currents and sink faster and the pork rinds don't rip off after a boofish takes a chew . However, I can probably get more bites on a swim shad solely on the action of the tail.

In anything other than really strong current, fierce surf or you need crazy distance the paddletail is out catching anything, idc what anyone says. Those things are a cheat code when it comes to fishing. 

6 hours ago, LockedDrag said:

I prefer bucktails cuz I don’t have to change trailers constantly because the swimbait rips. I find paddle tails definitely get more hits though and is more versatile. 

ZMan paddle tails stand up better than most other soft plastics

3 hours ago, hookmeup said:

ZMan paddle tails stand up better than most other soft plastics

I know but they don’t exactly stay on well. Once you take them off the barb they usually don’t stay on anymore either

10 hours ago, LockedDrag said:

I've started using Loctite gel to glue my paddletails to the jig head (I first crush down the lead barbs on the jig head to minimize tearing into the plastic).  You obviously can't change paddletails once you do this, but they stay on great - no more adjusting the soft plastic every other cast. I highly recommend this method.

4 mins ago, Last_Cast said:

I've started using Loctite gel to glue my paddletails to the jig head (I first crush down the lead barbs on the jig head to minimize tearing into the plastic).  You obviously can't change paddletails once you do this, but they stay on great - no more adjusting the soft plastic every other cast. I highly recommend this method.

I. Will have to try that

You get to play nasty with a bucktail and it doesn't care and maybe likes it. You can pound bottom ,hit rocks, rip weeds, smack on the water to remove weeds.

All of these are no no for plastic. 

13 mins ago, Last_Cast said:

Loctite Gel is better than the liquid super glues and only use a tiny dab. That's all you will need.

16 mins ago, JoeGBreezy said:

Loctite Gel is better than the liquid super glues and only use a tiny dab. That's all you will need.

small zip ties work well too, depending on the soft plastic.