Are fiberglass rods obsolete?

Rate this topic

coastalfreak

The BT1083M is a very versatile rod. I can sling eels, work a pencil, cast a metal lip with ease. It will always have a place in my rotation especially if I'm rock hopping or jetty hopping. Can't kill fiberglass they can take a licking and keep on ticking. 

My custom BT1083m built with modern concept guides done by Howard Reed of Narrow River Custom. 

20180601_234409.jpg

43 mins ago, theshadow said:

I did move to a Newell and then to  5000 Abu and a 5000C Abu[Sweeden].Still have them all along with 5 Squidders.Even an Abu 5000c syncro still in the box.I could never get used to the syncro.So I sold it as a set with an S-glass 3m cut back to 9' so you didn't hit the rocks behind you.

I use a release SM (Seigler). I built an S Glass for my son. 7’ when he was 7. Great little rod. 

1 hour ago, Dah seee said:

The BT1083M is a very versatile rod. I can sling eels, work a pencil, cast a metal lip with ease. It will always have a place in my rotation especially if I'm rock hopping or jetty hopping. Can't kill fiberglass they can take a licking and keep on ticking. 

My custom BT1083m built with modern concept guides done by Howard Reed of Narrow River Custom. 

20180601_234409.jpg

That's a good looking rod too. I love yellow rods for some reason. Especially with those black/purple accents. 

"It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most
Not where you live, what you drive or the price tag on your clothes" -Zac Brown Band

"A leader is someone who keeps their head when everyone else is losing theirs." -Bryant Wright

2 hours ago, Mike said:

I can't work a pencil properly with a graphite rod. I need glass or at least a Triflex.

I have a 10' 1 piece Lammy Tri-Flex & that rod is just a dream to fish, albeit graphite & all. Purrrfect for Pencils - although I have to admit the Century Slingshots are pretty phenomenal. I put the TriFlex on the truck rack all fall long. It's pretty much always rigged up with a Pencil. 

Fiberglass rods will bend way deeper down into the blank & with a pencil all you really need is a soft tip however there is no question that the older fiberglass rods definitely feel nice & smooth.

9 hours ago, Stewie said:

I can throw anything from an ounce (maybe less) to 8 or 9 with my 1213M conventional rod. I can high stick it. I can fall on the rocks and land on it, and it makes me happy. It may be a little heavy, but so am I.

scup rod.jpeg

Yup

20180527_103843.jpg

troll #122  <*)))<

5 hours ago, Dah seee said:

20180601_234409.jpg

Howard’s custom honey Lamis are beauties. 

My Harnell 9ft was custom built in the mid 60's at Fred's Tackle in Morgan NJ. It is unbreakable and has caught many fish from the beaches from Cape Cod to South Carolina. Cost was $28. Until this Corona incident it has been in use spring and fall every year since owned........and why not.

While I am not fond of Ultralight versions, there are good fiberglass blanks available in about every other category. They aren't glamorous nor do they feature the latest technology, but they do their jobs and can take a little abuse. 

I like my mb1083, but I had an mb901-E that was really sweet. I also have a Seeker P754 that is very good for 1/8-1/2 or so. My buddies are so-so about the Seeker, but really liked the Lamis.  

I have become too old to drink bourbon on the rocks. I will still drink it in the parking lot. 

I actually like to fish the 2 glass rods I own,the third is my old white glass surf rod from 1983.

the 2 I fish regularly are both cut down to 10 feet.

one is a daiwa regal surf[grey glass] and the other is a 12 foot Shakespeare tidewater rod .

both converted to casting style.

the tips are light but the rest has balls and when  fish takes the plug I like how the tip gives to the fish aiding in making it easier for the fish to suck the plug in along with the mono line.

they have backbone and I would not sell either of them.

they have a permanent spot in the rack.

HH

An armed man is a citizen,,,an unarmed man is a subject,,,,,,,,

Some of my oldest and most loved rods that I still enjoy to use.

Nothing fancy and nothing expensive, but those rods got me into some serous fishing.

Glass Rods01.jpg

Glass Rods02.jpg

Bad day fishing is still much better than good day work.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a much closer look at the American Indian.
                                                                                     - Henry Ford-