Are fiberglass rods obsolete?

Rate this topic

coastalfreak

Question: 

Are fiberglass rods obsolete? Has the technology of modern graphite rods fully replaced fiberglass rods in all situations? 

"It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most
Not where you live, what you drive or the price tag on your clothes" -Zac Brown Band

"A leader is someone who keeps their head when everyone else is losing theirs." -Bryant Wright

9 mins ago, coastalfreak said:

Question: 

Are fiberglass rods obsolete? Has the technology of modern graphite rods fully replaced fiberglass rods in all situations? 

Definitely not. In fact fiberglass is at the forefront of some of the technology. Take shimano's boat rods for example. Fiberglass is highly impact resistant. Graphite has more tensile braking strength and handles infinitely more load. The two materials are being combined in some cases.

Not to mention older fiberglass fly rods are still excellent fishing rods and you can buy glass rods for many manufacturers today.

Fiberglass obviously is not going to cast as far but who cares when your trout fishing most of the time. If you're working 30 or 40 & in, softer Glass rods have many advantages. 

Would I want a surf rod made out of fiberglass? Pretty much no thank you - compared to what's now available on the market in terms of graphite. 

Fish for the day with a nice long lightweight graphite saltwater rod and a fairly lightweight reel that balances it out nicely and you will be extremely happy compared to the technology of yesteryear.

That said fiberglass still has its cult following and you'll never change their mind no matter how hard you try. For certain applications, glass rods are still great & from a manufacturing process fiberglass is more than likely A material many manufacturers will still utilize for years to come.

I like fiberglass. I built a Lamiglas BT1083 for a friend. I built a Lamiglas 1213M for myself and fish the canal with it (conventional). 

Look way way back at threads about rods that beat fish up at the canal, and the 1215M and 1213M honey Lamiglas did the job, and still do today. 

As Cary said, there are various rod makers that are still using fiberglass, particularly for fly rods & boat rods. I still use several rods that are fiberglass, boat & surf rods. 

Fiberglass is a less costly alternative, and IMO, a much more durable material than graphite or some of the other materials used now. That's why I have fiberglass surf rods, the cost was much less especially for the limited use I have for the rods. I'm old enough to have used many fiberglass rods in my life, so to me, not a new experience. I know the pros & cons. 

Folks caught fish on fiberglass rods for many years before graphite was used, so as long as rod builders have a market for them, they'll continue making them. That's why any product is made, there's folks who will buy them.   

I can throw anything from an ounce (maybe less) to 8 or 9 with my 1213M conventional rod. I can high stick it. I can fall on the rocks and land on it, and it makes me happy. It may be a little heavy, but so am I.

scup rod.jpeg

.........Elvis lives....2020

Stream fishing for trout with very light tippits ,they are the best.  Dad passed on a Fenwick 7fter way long ago and i loved it for small stream trout fishing. It makes catching 12in brook trout fun with not many break offs.  Haven't been doing that kind of fishing for longer than I want to admit to.LOL I will pass it along to my grandson when he's ready. Rod is probably 70 yrs old and in perfect condition.

3 hours ago, Stewie said:

I can throw anything from an ounce (maybe less) to 8 or 9 with my 1213M conventional rod. I can high stick it. I can fall on the rocks and land on it, and it makes me happy. It may be a little heavy, but so am I.

scup rod.jpeg

Ahhhh……..and a Squidder too! I still build these good ol Lamis for folks fishing the C.C.Canal after they see my "honeys" and the old S- glass rods healed over on a fish.

33 mins ago, theshadow said:

Ahhhh……..and a Squidder too! I still build these good ol Lamis for folks fishing the C.C.Canal after they see my "honeys" and the old S- glass rods healed over on a fish.

Not even possible. Dont you know you need an imported extra fast action 11’ rod with nano-carbon-matrix technology to catch at the canal?

Thanks all for the input. I do like fiberglass rods, but I guess it's easy to get caught up in the marketing hype today. 

"It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most
Not where you live, what you drive or the price tag on your clothes" -Zac Brown Band

"A leader is someone who keeps their head when everyone else is losing theirs." -Bryant Wright

5 hours ago, ged said:

I like fiberglass. I built a Lamiglas BT1083 for a friend. I built a Lamiglas 1213M for myself and fish the canal with it (conventional). 

Look way way back at threads about rods that beat fish up at the canal, and the 1215M and 1213M honey Lamiglas did the job, and still do today. 

Love the 1083m 

If you are ugly you are ugly. Stop talking about inner beauty because we don't walk around with X-rays. ---   Robert Mugabe

20 hours ago, ged said:

Not even possible. Dont you know you need an imported extra fast action 11’ rod with nano-carbon-matrix technology to catch at the canal?

I did move to a Newell and then to  4000 Abu and a 4000C Abu[Sweeden].Still have them all along with 5 Squidders.Even an Abu 5000c syncro still in the box.I could never get used to the syncro.So I sold it as a set with an S-glass 3m cut back to 9' so you didn't hit the rocks behind you.

Edited by theshadow