bob_G

Hummingbird!

Rate this topic

84 posts in this topic

11 mins ago, ribeye said:

We put our feeders out a couple days ago and they showed immediately , even before it cooled off completely. On a side note, we saw our first ever Baltimore Oriole in 26 years of living here using the feeder. Looked up Oriole feeders and they look like h-bird feeders but orange in color and not red. Will be getting one and give it a try. Thanks.

Orioles like oranges and orange marmalade.  We've cut oranges in half and had them find it immediately. But they never seem to hang around long. After a week, they're gone.

I guess I'll just purchase some oranges from the reduced rack and forego the expense of a feeder.Thanks Bob.

10 mins ago, ribeye said:

I guess I'll just purchase some oranges from the reduced rack and forego the expense of a feeder.Thanks Bob.

That's what we do. Cut the oranges in half, and spike then on top of the feeder poke.

The squirrels are decimating me this year.  Worst squirrel year ever. This morning we had a squirrel frenzy. Four on the feeders with as many on the ground fighting.

But all that changes Fri when my new secret weapon arrives. Those little sobs will never know what's happening.:laugh:

On 5/2/2020 at 10:25 AM, bob_G said:

While we're on the subject of birds. I can't understand why I get almost no activity in my bird houses? Couple years ago I bought some real pricey birdhouses and place them in my yard in strategic locations which I thought to be perfect for birds. The chickadees found one last year but all the rest remain vacant. 

Anyone have any thoughts?

You charge to much for rent

36 mins ago, bob_G said:

The squirrels are decimating me this year.  Worst squirrel year ever. This morning we had a squirrel frenzy. Four on the feeders with as many on the ground fighting.

But all that changes Fri when my new secret weapon arrives. Those little sobs will never know what's happening.:laugh:

You had better not be causing them harm, pain or suffering...………...

6 mins ago, b-ware said:

You had better not be causing them harm, pain or suffering...………...

Oh, there's some mean pay back coming for these little sobs! This time they went too far. My wife bought me the mother of all feeders. :beatin:

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 mins ago, bob_G said:

Oh, there's some mean pay back coming for these little sobs! This time they went too far. My wife bought me the mother of all feeders. :beatin:

Just remember they are a game animal, protected by law...……………….Harrasment is a no-no...………….

And another thing, it's Sandy this and my wife that are you still incapacitated??????????????

Edited by b-ware

3 mins ago, b-ware said:

Just remember they are a game animal, protected by law...……………….Harrasment is a no-no...………….

And another thing, it's Sandy this and my wife that are you still incapacitated??????????????

I'm only feeding the birds. No lasting harm will come to these four legged rodents.

Nope, not incapacitated at all, but thanks for asking.  I'll be up your neck of the woods tomorrow at 330am chasing birds.

We have a killer cat that I let out when the squirrels take over the bird feeders. Nothing like a half dozen tree rats barking at you in unison. Noticed a couple creeping around favoring a limb or two and some with no fur left on their tails. Cleo will go prone at the base of the feeders and the birds will come back knowing that the tree rats are in check. Hell , I've had more than a dozen turkeys visit my feeders and feed from the seed around her as she just laid there. LOL. Love my cat.

27 mins ago, bob_G said:

Does it need electricity to work ?

2 hours ago, b-ware said:

….

Not only harassment, but as we learned here a few years ago, you cannot legally have a dead hummingbird stuffed and mounted.

Someone here, maybe it was bob G.......found a dead hummingbird, took a liking to its coloration and wanted it mounted.

Found out that was a no, no.  Taxidermist wanted no part of it.  Do it yourself was out of the question.  Protected specie.

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 mins ago, Joe G said:

Not only harassment, but as we learned here a few years ago, you cannot legally have a dead hummingbird stuffed and mounted.

Someone here, maybe it was bob G.......found a dead hummingbird, took a liking to its coloration and wanted it mounted.

Found out that was a no, no.  Taxidermist wanted no part of it.  Do it yourself was out of the question.  Protected specie.

Very true Joe, and seeing he is always squaking about folks feeding turkeys, deer and pheasants he should just leave wildlife alone...………...…………...

And another thing, giving squirrels an electric shock is animal cruelty...…..

Edited by b-ware