riggler

cordless lawnmower ?

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

Ha d a refund coming from Amex, and before they changed their mind I bought an EGO 56V, 5AH snow blower. It was pretty steep in cost (about$600) but since i've bought it it hasn't properly snowed, sio I figure that's the reason for no snow and everyone out there should give me a few bucks because of all the work i've saved you! Anyway my gardener (i've only had one for 2 of my 74 years) did such a terrible job, and was always adding various costs to the bill  . The one thing that grew unaided were weeds. and i don't have to pay someone to do that. Saw an EGO lawnmower at Home depot and said adios to the gardener. It uses the same battery as the snowblower and it kicks butt. ($250 on sale) Added a string trimmer for $75, and all use that same battery. All their tools use the same 56volt battery and have more power than I'm likely to need. Batteries are ridiculous in price, so I hope the 2@5AH batteries I got with the snowblower last a very long time. Have not needed their tech support, but are well regarded. EGO seems to be the best i've seen, but they are pricey.

On 5/1/2020 at 4:27 PM, riggler said:

For the last 18 or so years, always had someone do my yard....for free....first my retired neighbor, and when he got to old I called

in a favor with my partners, who were landscapers (got them to do the retired neighbors the last 6 years till he passed).

Well my partners sold the landscaping part of their business over the winter, so perhaps it is time to cut my own grass again.

Im a contractor and use Dewalt stuff, and i see they sell a 40 volt lawnmower that uses 2- 20 volt batteries.

Anyone have any experience with them and are they any good? Or for that matter with any other kind of battery lawn mower?

Did the search here and saw a few old threads , but none recent with any useful replies. Tanks in advance.

My neighbor has a Echo mower and back pack blower . It has a larger rechargeable battery that lasts for the whole yard.  He loves it , he is very neat has the best lawn in town . I have since I started using landscapers a poor lawn . weeds I never had before scalps and divots from the heavy machines. 4 men 1 edging ,1 blowing, 2 cutting with ride on 15-20 minute done.

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, Highlander1 said:

Why premium gas? 

Highlander- is ahead of the curve using high test the only problem is what is bought at the pump is not what is expected from it. 

On the other hand racing, Fuels are beneficial but cost $$$ a lot more. First NO ETHANOL the fuel system killer in small engines. Engines run cooler more efficient. What he is doing has no benefits the fuel saver cuts down on octane. Fresh Reg. good spark plugs clean Carb. is all you need. Where did all this come from I worked with a Modified Racecar Driver at GM many times Champion at Wall Stadium Eddie Bohn who father Parker Bohn also was a Champion Driver 659 was famous along the East coast.

Every now and then a Sportsman Model would get the fuels mixed up and the sounds and Flames out the tailpipe were to be seen.   Sorry hope the did not highjack the post. 

Optima.png

edie.jpg

Edited by Cheeckakoe

2 hours ago, Highlander1 said:

Why premium gas? 

Two reasons;

Several years ago I destroyed 2 string trimmers and a backpack blower within a 1 week period.

Took them all to a friend who’s a small engine mechanic.

He told me that low octane gas makes engines run much hotter and can cause them to fail prematurely. He said use a minimum of 89 octane, so I simply use 93 and have never had another problem since then.

Second, the additional additives in premium fuel give it a longer shelf life and, because of that, I find it’s unnecessary to run the fuel out of my mower at the end of the cutting season. 
The mower always starts right up in the spring.

Also, all fuel I keep on hand for my power equipment has Marine Formula Stabil in it.

The Marine Formula is the blue stuff and has a lot more of the important additives in it than the run of the mill pink stuff.

Its probably overkill but I can’t argue with what has worked very well for me for many years.

And, remember, I gat that advice from professional mechanics who do the same thing.

I used the old cord electric mower and while it did a fair job it did not have the torque needed for heavy grass. Now a days my wife and I use the new electrics for small jobs and trimming, but for the lawn, driveway and the trail heads I am in love with the new lawn tractors, wheeled blower, and Heavy Duty weed whipper. They just make the job so much faster and you get a better cut. 

20200427_090742.jpg

20200503_111902.jpg

20200503_111739.jpg

20200503_111436.jpg

If you are interested in a cordless mower  look into the Greenworks commercial line. They are 82 volts, typically you buy 2 batteries and a dual charger which is the bulk of the cost and then the mower that suits your needs. They also have a complete line of handheld outdoor power equipment that will make use of the same 82 volt batteries the mowers use. They have a chart that will give you approximate run time on a fully charged battery of each unit to give you and idea if it will satisfy your needs.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Very small lot here, only maybe 1500 sq feet of mowing. Been using cordless mowers for 10 years. I love them for being quiet and light to push, don't have to play with gas. I work with heavy gas powered tools at my job so I don't want to deal with them at home if possible.

I got 8 years out of a black and Decker ( the kind you plug in to charge, not interchangeable batteries) with zero maintenance, then it stopped holding a charge. I was all ready to get the DeWalt but stayed away based on reviews, seems like everyone online unanimously said battery life was an issue, and it was a new product that didn't have a track record. I found a Toro cordless mower someone put out on the sidewalk and it's been cutting my lawn trouble free for 2 years.

I use DeWalt 20v tools and have a ton of batteries, I have the string trimmer which is a really solid tool, so I am hoping the mower has improved by the time this current mower stops holding a charge.

Edited by marty_mccarty

6 hours ago, surfrat said:

If you are interested in a cordless mower  look into the Greenworks commercial line. They are 82 volts, typically you buy 2 batteries and a dual charger which is the bulk of the cost and then the mower that suits your needs. They also have a complete line of handheld outdoor power equipment that will make use of the same 82 volt batteries the mowers use. They have a chart that will give you approximate run time on a fully charged battery of each unit to give you and idea if it will satisfy your needs.

I second Greenworks.  I’ve seen some commercial landscapers are using them in my area.  If they are using them they have to be good enough for one yard.  I’d make sure to keep batteries in the house during winter months  

I've got a 6,000 square ft. property and have been using a Worx 13" battery mower for five years. I like it because it folds to three sections, weighs about 13 lbs without the battery and I've never needed a second battery. John

I've had the DeWalt brushless weedwacker for two years now. Solid piece of equipment. Like it so much I bit the bullet and bought the mower and blower yesterday. I let the batteries charge last night and hit the lawn today after work. I was thoroughly impressed with the mover. My grass was two weeks high and it never coughed or slowed down even in mulching mode. The blower isn't gas backpack powerful but I'd say it compares to a consumer hand held gas job. Both are very light and quiet. Not POS light but solid. I'm extremely pleased with both. I don't have a huge yard (duplex) but I think it could handle a good sized yard on a single charge. Good luck. 

3 mins ago, riggler said:

Thank you for the reply !...Did you go for the mower that takes 2 20 volt batteries or the bigger one ?

I got the 20" that takes the two 20v 60 watt flex batteries. They are pretty big. The battery gauage on top of the mover head is a nice feature too. It was 5 bills at Homies. 

2 mins ago, GoneCoastal said:

I got the 20" that takes the two 20v 60 watt flex batteries. They are pretty big. The battery gauage on top of the mover head is a nice feature too. It was 5 bills at Homies. 

did it come with the batteries and charger ?