Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Hello,

I know that this sounds like a stupid question but how do you use them? I have never used circle hooks and do not know how to set the hook. I especially want to know this because of the new law and for knowledge. 

Feedback appreciated

You don’t set the hook with circle hooks. When the fish moves off the hook lodges in the corner of the fishes mouth. Setting the hook pulls the hook out of the fish’s mouth without catching in the corner. Just reel slowly to take up any slack and the hook will be in the corner of the fishes mouth. Most times. Setting the hook means lots of missed fish. Good luck.

You DON'T set the hook.  Just tighten the line until you feel the weight of the fish, load the rod slowly, and reel.

It's something that takes a few fish to master, but once you do, you'll find that they're very easy to use and also very effective.  The one thing that you need to watch is to be careful that you use a hook that's large enough for the bait; the point needs enough freedom to rotate and sink in after it sticks in the fish's jaw, so if you need to keep the bait fairly well down in the bend of the hook, and not filling up the space between point and shank.  Again, there is a short learning curve; you get the feel for it after you miss a couple of fish.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I found them to be very effective on a dead stick rig

3' total length leader, put together like this...

Swivel - down one foot to a 6" dropper with a 1/0 Owner in line circle - down two feet to a loop for the sinker

Use a very strong stainless rod holder, this is no place for PVC

Rod with the reel at regular tight drag

8 oz sinker - the big sinker is to provide enough pull so the circle will still hook the fish on an incoming hit

When the fish hits the rod is going to go over hard.

Usually when you're taking a piss and have your waders down around your knees

Edited by Sudsy

Which it is why it is important to drink enough that you have to drop your waders every hour. 

Edited by Sweetwater
Spelling

Keep pressure on the fish after it’s taken the bait.

But take it from me, please.

The only way you’re actually going to learn anything is by applying your theories and figuring out what to do on your own.

If not, you’ll be the kid that can tell everyone *what* to do but never be able to do it themselves. Trust me, I know.

It took me forever to get used to them. Just like what the other posts said you don’t want to set the just reel up the slack it will set itself. I still have trouble not swinging if I’m holding the rod while bait fishing. If I’m spiking rods though then they’re all I use and actually noticed a better hookup ratio. 

Remember there are inline and offset circles and in some areas you must use inline, which cause less damage to the fish. My limited experience seems to indicate the offset are eaiser to hook fish, but I do plan on switching to inline the season.

Edited by ghost

I use circle hooks a lot on my whiting and pompano rigs. I love them. I'm going to use them on some larger bait rigs this year.

Used to use them fishing with live eels. They do work tho, I found that at times I had more drops before the bass would tighten up hooking itself. Found my hookup ratio improved using octopus hooks and bowing to the cow.

Have had alot of success fishing live bait for flatheads and channel cats with circle hooks.

4 hours ago, Haycreekrambler said:

Used to use them fishing with live eels. They do work tho, I found that at times I had more drops before the bass would tighten up hooking itself. Found my hookup ratio improved using octopus hooks and bowing to the cow.

Have had alot of success fishing live bait for flatheads and channel cats with circle hooks.

I have a much better hook up ratio fishing octopus hooks with live eels as opposed to circle hooks. I gut hook far fewer fish with octopus hooks as well.

You don't set a circle hook. if you think you have a bite lift the rod and gently reel slowly. You want the fish to eat the bait. If you feel weight then the hook is set. 

I started using them around 2013. My first mistake was not using the correct circle hook for the application. There are circle hooks for plastic baits, and different circle hooks for cut bait, and another type for live bait.  Make sure you research the application for the hook before purchasing it. You can go to a bait shop, look at a wall of hooks, and a bunch say circle hook, if you are in doubt, and at a tackle shop where the people know how to fish, just ask.  Amazon can be useless at product descriptions, so know what you are looking for before you make a purchase.

Fish happy, if you’d care to enlighten everyone I’m sure it would help some people out there like the original poster. 
Or is this a guessing game? 

Edited by delaware surfman