Looking for GSP puppy to purchase

Rate this topic

Jettyhound

Hello.  My daughter and her family are looking to start a GSP puppy.  She's grown up with shorthairs and pointers all of her life so she knows the drill.  They live in Ocean County, NJ, so a pick up location within a few hours drive, one-way, is reasonable. 

Preferred lineage: Hunting/gun dog breeding (AKC); not looking to field trial; preferably younger than 12 weeks old; either sex.  (She really likes the black better than liver but knows that's a stretch.)

If you have any leads, she would appreciate your input and the opportunity to visit a litter.

Thanks for reading and for any recommendations.  Stay healthy!

"If you want to consider what 'social security' does for and to people, look at the American Indian." -Henry Ford

"If I could live my life over, I'd live it over Giglio's B&T." -Bud E. Brown

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

17 mins ago, Jettyhound said:

Hello.  My daughter and her family are looking to start a GSP puppy.  She's grown up with shorthairs and pointers all of her life so she knows the drill.  They live in Ocean County, NJ, so a pick up location within a few hours drive, one-way, is reasonable. 

Preferred lineage: Hunting/gun dog breeding (AKC); not looking to field trial; preferably younger than 12 weeks old; either sex.  (She really likes the black better than liver but knows that's a stretch.)

If you have any leads, she would appreciate your input and the opportunity to visit a litter.

Thanks for reading and for any recommendations.  Stay healthy!

I heard of two litters in Maine but that would be a days drive. I have good friends in Rhode Island that have been breeding Shorthairs many years, very active in NAVHDA and show them in the ring. https://holzstromgsp.net/index.html  Don't know if they have any puppies now. I was best man at their wedding a bazillion years ago. My daughter lives in NJ and is actively involved with trialing pointers and Shorthairs. I'll check with her and see if she knows of any.

fishinambition  Posted June 30 ·After a decade and a half of trolling and disrupting the website, frank's finally fed up with Tim's bull****

39 mins ago, Bass Ackwards said:

I heard of two litters in Maine but that would be a days drive. I have good friends in Rhode Island that have been breeding Shorthairs many years, very active in NAVHDA and show them in the ring. https://holzstromgsp.net/index.html  Don't know if they have any puppies now. I was best man at their wedding a bazillion years ago. My daughter lives in NJ and is actively involved with trialing pointers and Shorthairs. I'll check with her and see if she knows of any.

BA, thank you for taking the time to reach out.  Your efforts and feedback are very much appreciated!

Excellent link!  Looks like a perfect match.  Thank you again.

Edited by Jettyhound

"If you want to consider what 'social security' does for and to people, look at the American Indian." -Henry Ford

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

5 mins ago, Jettyhound said:

BA, thank you for taking the time to reach out.  Your efforts and feedback are very much appreciated!

Your quite welcome. Had shorthairs for over 40 years, no better hunting or family dog. They are a smart, tough breed that needs to know who's the boss.

fishinambition  Posted June 30 ·After a decade and a half of trolling and disrupting the website, frank's finally fed up with Tim's bull****

18 mins ago, Bass Ackwards said:

Your quite welcome. Had shorthairs for over 40 years, no better hunting or family dog. They are a smart, tough breed that needs to know who's the boss.

Absolutely.  My father bought "my" first shorthair when I was in kindergarten.  She was a gem!  After she passed he bought a Vizsla and still had him after I got married at 20.  The first thing my wife and I did after we bought our first house a year and a half later was buy a shorthair pup.  We've had 2 since him and 2 pointers.  I strongly agree with your statement about the GSP, "no better hunting or family dog".  Thanks again!

Hopefully, your daughter will have some encouraging news...

Edited by Jettyhound

9 mins ago, Jettyhound said:

Absolutely.  My father bought "my" first shorthair when I was in kindergarten.  She was a gem!  After she passed he bought a Vizsla and still had him after I got married at 20.  The first thing my wife and I did after we bought our first house a year and a half later was buy a shorthair pup.  We've had 2 since him and 2 pointers.  I strongly agree with your statement about the GSP, "no better hunting or family dog".  Thanks again!

Hopefully, your daughter will have some encouraging news...

I asked my daughter on her ebay page, if I don't hear from her there I'll email her. Just for your knowledge. black is not an acceptable AKC color unless that's been changed by the AKC. Been out of the game for a long time, old age does that to ya. :D

3 mins ago, Bass Ackwards said:

I asked my daughter on her ebay page, if I don't hear from her there I'll email her. Just for your knowledge. black is not an acceptable AKC color unless that's been changed by the AKC. Been out of the game for a long time, old age does that to ya. :D

Thank you.  No rush. 

Yes, I believe the AKC still dos not register black shorthairs.  About 10 years ago there was some petitioning to ad black to the AKC standard, but I think it was unsuccessful.  BUT, I'm not certain of what the outcome was.

I found out just a bit more about those two litters in Maine and it turns out I've know them also for a bazillion years. Both litters are supposably all spoken for but it still may be worth a phone call Blain and Patti Carter are well known in NAVHDA circles and may be able to direct you to someone in your area. *

Edited by TimS
No, you can't PM links to sites that are blocked here - you agreed not to do that when you joined - so please continue to not do that - thanks :-)

I just got this reply from my daughter, told her I would ask you.

I can ask around. Do they want a puppy. I have 2, 2 1/2 year old males really well bred one is completely broke and the other one is well started

I found out just a bit more about those two litters in Maine and it turns out I've know them also for a bazillion years. Both litters are supposably all spoken for but it still may be worth a phone call Blain and Patti Carter are well known in NAVHDA circles and may be able to direct you to someone in your area. This is their website, if no phone number on it I can PM it to you. There website won't go through as it's on FB. google Merrymeeting Kennels in Brunswick, Maine.

50 mins ago, Bass Ackwards said:

I just got this reply from my daughter, told her I would ask you.

I can ask around. Do they want a puppy. I have 2, 2 1/2 year old males really well bred one is completely broke and the other one is well started

I found out just a bit more about those two litters in Maine and it turns out I've know them also for a bazillion years. Both litters are supposably all spoken for but it still may be worth a phone call Blain and Patti Carter are well known in NAVHDA circles and may be able to direct you to someone in your area. This is their website, if no phone number on it I can PM it to you. There website won't go through as it's on FB. google Merrymeeting Kennels in Brunswick, Maine.

They want to start a puppy, for sure.  I'm sure my daughter will reach out to Merrymeeting Kennels.  This information is invaluable.

Thank you so very much for your and your daughters help!

5 mins ago, Jettyhound said:

They want to start a puppy, for sure.  I'm sure my daughter will reach out to Merrymeeting Kennels.  This information is invaluable.

Thank you so very much for your and your daughters help!

My pleasure. Good luck. Also inquire at Holzstrom Kennels , Lonnie and leslie are very noligable and won't steer you wrong. If you need more help, feel free to PM me.

Best of Luck with your search. Nothing better than a well bred GSP. 

By way of suggestion, do not listen to the AKC, it is a beauty pageant and has zero to do with a dog of substance.

As a result of their lack of true dog testing, there is not a single breeder in the US that can provide dogs that can be police K9.

All the best dogs come from professional kennels in Europe, where it is substance and good health over all else.

The German Shepard Dog police K9 working lines have all been compromised in the US. Their substance and health has all but been destroyed because for the slope backed look of the AKC. Sorry for the rant, but the AKC is all about registration $ and beauty pageantry.

Research as much as you can and enjoy a new family member! 

4 hours ago, yarddog59 said:

Best of Luck with your search. Nothing better than a well bred GSP. 

By way of suggestion, do not listen to the AKC, it is a beauty pageant and has zero to do with a dog of substance.

As a result of their lack of true dog testing, there is not a single breeder in the US that can provide dogs that can be police K9.

All the best dogs come from professional kennels in Europe, where it is substance and good health over all else.

The German Shepard Dog police K9 working lines have all been compromised in the US. Their substance and health has all but been destroyed because for the slope backed look of the AKC. Sorry for the rant, but the AKC is all about registration $ and beauty pageantry.

Research as much as you can and enjoy a new family member! 

The Germans will sell anything to make the big buck. They have their professional kennels banging out litters and buying up litters and people are being paid to train these dogs. Show me how this can be done in this country. In this country no one would sell you a litter for the purpose of working dogs be it detection etc.

I agree with you on AKC, they have ruined many breeds. We get ripped off regularly by the Germans with many that have false health papers and issues not disclosed. There is a big drive to change this but we don't have the mentality and money to support the training. Germans would sell anything for a buck, it is all livestock mentality to them, be it horses or dogs. If you go to Germany to buy a horse, they are for sale, never going to hear that is my daughters horse I can't sell it.