luckyOC

Delmarva Fishin' Reports - May 2020

Rate this topic

75 posts in this topic

Was OC really that crowded? I think that was more hype than anything.  If people can find a Tesla that was stuck at the OSV entrance riding around town in OC that tells me it wasn't that crowded.

I fished the Delaware Bay on my kayak this morning to try to get on the black drum bite. I anchored up about a quarter mile off the beach chummed sand fleas and dropped down a big circle hook loaded with 3-4 fleas. I got a ton of taps from little fish but after 2 hours hadn't hooked up so I dropped down a small circle hook baited with a single flea tipped with fishbites to see what was stealing my bait. That turned into a steady pick of 8"-11" whiting but I still got no hookups on the drum rod and no drum for the day. I tried chunking bunker for stripers or blues with no luck and gulp produced nothing but endless 9" weakfish.

AI Wed., 44" striper caught and released, around noon at top of the tide just about to switch.  It was such a strong fighter that I thought it was a shark or drum initially.  I had the lower hook baited with a bloody bunker chunk and the top hook with two fleas.  It took the fleas :).  It was good to see such a late season beauty.

2020-05-27 12.47.10.jpg

NPS closed the beach today just past bull pen, plover chicks have hatched. internet osv count was 147 at 9am, never been there when there are 147 trucks in 2.5 miles of beach, must be pretty tight.

I did get to drive all the way to va yesterday but no fish for me unless you count skates.

52 mins ago, allen sklar said:

NPS closed the beach today just past bull pen, plover chicks have hatched. internet osv count was 147 at 9am, never been there when there are 147 trucks in 2.5 miles of beach, must be pretty tight.

I did get to drive all the way to va yesterday but no fish for me unless you count skates.

Thanks Allen, you saved me a wasted trip.  

Of course if you re-opened the BACK fricken ROAD we could all avoid the plover nests and allow us to enjoy our national park in spite of the National Plover Service.

I agree with you.would be sweet.an it should be done.i am all for protecting nature's way.open it follow rules.the beach is for fishing ,bird watching, surfing,family outings , etc.not testing you hot 4x4 out.put a 5000.00 dollar fine in place.i was there this past week for 4 days Thursday at low tide vehicle past between my truck an rods had to be go 45 50 mph.i kid you not.really?

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 5/28/2020 at 10:19 AM, nano said:

AI Wed., 44" striper caught and released, around noon at top of the tide just about to switch.  It was such a strong fighter that I thought it was a shark or drum initially.  I had the lower hook baited with a bloody bunker chunk and the top hook with two fleas.  It took the fleas :).  It was good to see such a late season beauty.

2020-05-27 12.47.10.jpg

Nice catch Nano.                  I remember seeing you on the A.I.Va. beach one October evening a few years back during that epic puppy drum run, it was getting dark and Tundra Tom and I were almost making that left turn to drive off the beach when we saw you landing a slot size red. You packed it in as we stopped and set up some rods. I immediately hooked two puppy drum at a time on a hi lo rig , losting one of them. The other rod bent down in the sand spike and I landed another. Tom caught one too. All in the space of less than an hour.  Thanks for sharing your fishing karma!

Edited by dixiekraut

1 hour ago, dixiekraut said:

Nice catch Nano.                  I remember seeing you on the beach one October evening a few years back during that epic puppy drum run, it was getting dark and Tundra Tom and so were almost making that left turn to drive off the beach when you pulled in a red. You packed it in as we stopped and set up some rods. I immediately hooked two puppy drum at a time on a hi lo rig and lost one of them. The other rod bent down in the sand spike and i landed another. Tom caught one too. All the space of less than an hour.  Thanks for sharing your fishing karma.

Hi, Dixiekraut,  Thanks for the nice comments.  Yes, I remember you and that epic run.  That was a bumper crop year for puppy drum and the bite lasted for about two weeks.  Let's hope we get another one like that soon :).  Now I connected your name and face.  Say hello on the beach next time :)

I got down twice this spring. Four days total of fishing. We always seemed to be either a couple days early or a couple days late for the action. Probably put in about 70 hours total. 69 of those hours involved grass, skates, rays, and a couple kings, but one evening we were lucky enough to witness 1 hour of pure madness. The guys next to us must've pulled in 15 stripers. They had at least one (and as many as 3) hook-ups going for about an hour straight. It was a mix of shorts, slots, and overslots. They kept 2 and threw the rest back. We got 4 shorts. Finally, just as the run was winding down, my rod bent over and I hooked up with a nice 18lb black. It was the only one we saw that day.

IMG-6297.JPG.40448e325820b3f52197a4816f05ade9.JPG

Video here... https://streamable.com/fwuvh6