luckyOC

Delmarva Fishin' Reports - May 2020

Rate this topic

75 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Not the smoothest start to a vacation, but glad you found your phone. Reminds me of my brothers first big drum catch at the Point many years ago....Nov '90...it was during the time the Oregon Inlet bridge was closed due to a barge getting loose and hitting the support structure. He and my youngest brother had to take a special ferry. Once settled in Buxton they discovered they were two of the few visitors on the Island...and the Point was pretty fishable. He hooked and landed his first big drum that evening, had taken a lot of pictures so far on this waterproofed camera. He was so excited with his catch he put the  drum in his cooler...to get it weighed...but left the camera on the bumper....and took off for either Red Drum Tackle....or Dillons. Afterwards...not finding the camera in the truck and realizing he left the camera on the bumper he backtracked in the dark ...to no avail. There were supposedly some nice sunset shots on that film in addition to the big fish. Later on some of the sting was taken out when the Cape Pines motel mgr Keith Andre knocked on their door...and had a basket of free steamed crabs that a restaurant friend was giving away. Somehow he got a picture of himself and his first big drum ....on a different camera. ( see below ) All in all a memorable trip. What made it even more memorable was later on, fishing at sunrise tossing tiny Hopkins lures to a school of small blues that had invaded the beach near the old lighthouse jetty he came upon a a lone fisherman laughing as he pulled in blue after blue. Bro went up to the guy and started conversing as the sun rose over the breakers. After awhile he told the guy that he looked sort of familiar...was he a local? The guy said no...and introduced himself. It was Dave Deule...who 6 years earlier had caught the world record red drum at ramp 34 in Avon. When he asked Dave what he enjoyed so much about light tackle fishing for snapper blues, given he had the all tackle world record for a 94 lb red....he said " I don't care what anybody says...this is fun...and these fish you can eat!"

20200524_093756_001.jpg

Edited by dixiekraut

15 hours ago, BLilly said:

Yeah between Pilotman and RocksandReds, they will catch big drum out of a 5 gallon bucket...

Speakin of RocksandReds...havent heard much from him lately....is he bonefishing in Florida?

In order to protect public health and safety and to limit the spread of the COVID-19 virus, all DNR Licensing and Registration Centers are now closed under the current State of Emergency. Governor Hogan has issued an executive order related to licenses, permits, registrations, and other authorizations that may be expiring or up for renewal during the state of emergency. The executive order immediately grants a grace period of 30 days after the date of termination of the state of emergency. This includes items normally processed at our MD Department of Natural Resources Licensing Service Centers. Our online COMPASS portal provides 24/7 self service access to our entire product catalog of recreational licenses, permits, and stamps; off-road vehicle registrations; magazine subscriptions; and donation options in support of your favorite Maryland Department of Natural Resources programs. Customers are encouraged to check our website, or contact us at customerservice.dnr@maryland

Anyone know wtf this means?

49 mins ago, Possum said:

he executive order immediately grants a grace period of 30 days after the date of termination of the state of emergency. This includes items normally processed at our MD Department of Natural Resources Licensing Service Centers.

Kind of confusing to me.
Lastinline, what you said makes sense but how does the 30 day grace period play in?
Whats up with that?

Posted (edited) · Report post

I just logged on to my account through Compass and renewed.

Like Lastinline said.. Only place available now is online.

Edited by 7nBait

Could it be that if you have a license or permit that expires during the state of emergency that you are given a 30 day grace period to renew? It’s just a guess. Because my wife is a teacher I learned that not everyone has internet access. 

i got my lic online with compass, and my uncle got his at Walmart, normal method.  I have seen the tackle shops also sell lic as normal....

4 hours ago, luckyOC said:

i got my lic online with compass, and my uncle got his at Walmart, normal method.  I have seen the tackle shops also sell lic as normal....

No business can afford to refuse a sale right now so if nobody is there to enforce it, they are not going to not sell you a license.

For a fishing report, the grass on Saturday was worse than I’ve ever seen. Hundreds of pounds of weeds, no fish, and sky high frustration levels.

2 hours ago, Catskill John said:

Hope I have a reason to get a license this year :( 

One good reason: Dennis and I want breakfast in drum camp, Cost of breakfast is no object.....plus we will help you with any fish you have trouble beaching, given your age and all ......

I am heading down to AI/VA tomorrow and realized Toms cove vistors center is only open for selling OSV passes on the weekends.  I'm going Tues-Thursday so that doesn't help me out.  Is the AI/MD park office open for selling permits or is there somewhere online I can buy one?  

4 hours ago, TBStriperKing said:

I am heading down to AI/VA tomorrow and realized Toms cove vistors center is only open for selling OSV passes on the weekends.  I'm going Tues-Thursday so that doesn't help me out.  Is the AI/MD park office open for selling permits or is there somewhere online I can buy one?  

AIMD was open yesterday(Sunday) and I purchased my OSV pass. I believe office is open at 9 AM.