luckyOC

Delmarva Fishin' Reports - May 2020

Rate this topic

75 posts in this topic

On vacation May 25 week. Any suggestions ? Pulled 2 crab pots last Friday-about 30 turtles and 3 small crabs. Not much good luck so far this year-I can't even catch a hair cut!

10 hours ago, bubbakim said:

hey,pilotman hope to see you down here staying in avon till the 30th:howdy:

Hey bubbakim, we just got down late  this afternoon. Hope to get out in the same area we met, maybe friday afternoon but they are calling for scattered thunderstorms. I'm So done with this nasty weather. At least it's not 27mph winds we left behind. Saturdays definitely a go. If you see me definitely stop by . Hope to see you out there.

16 hours ago, pilotman said:

Hey bubbakim, we just got down late  this afternoon. Hope to get out in the same area we met, maybe friday afternoon but they are calling for scattered thunderstorms. I'm So done with this nasty weather. At least it's not 27mph winds we left behind. Saturdays definitely a go. If you see me definitely stop by . Hope to see you out there.

Keep us posted on your progress. I saw on the Island Free Press website that Hwy 12 experienced ocean overwash at Mirlo Beach and North Buxton. Ive lost count how many times this has ocurred since the end of last summer.

20 hours ago, pilotman said:

Nice Catch Sharkman!. Your smartphone( I'm guessing ) has a quality camera.

Thanks pilotman, its a galaxy s10 +, phone cameras have come quite a ways over the years. 

8 hours ago, dixiekraut said:

Keep us posted on your progress. I saw on the Island Free Press website that Hwy 12 experienced ocean overwash at Mirlo Beach and North Buxton. Ive lost count how many times this has ocurred since the end of last summer.

Hey Dixie the wind is still present. Not 27mph but 17-18. Yeah Mirlo dunes had some breaches and some high waters. Went up to Oregon Inlet for a couple hours today and the bulldozers were out reinforcing the dunes. Wind was KINDA bearable. Caught  2 11 inch seabass. which was a shocker. Seabass in that area is 4-5 inches at best. Little guys. Largest seabass I ever caught from shore. There were some trucks at the Point But I didn't bother. The whole island is sold out of bunker bc the netters can't get out to catch bc of the weather. This evening I stopped by the shop owned by the One Armed Bandit bc he has no phone. Next to Wings in Buxton. He told me earlier today he'll have something after 4pm. And he did...fresh spot and cob mullet. Really nice guy. And a straight shooter.....Now I have bait but gotta wait till weather is bearable for Connie and the little man.......Did I just bait spot burn?:huh:

My bro and I stopped to chat with that one armed dude last T'Giving during the speck run. Interesting fellow....think he told us he lost his arm in a coal mining accident.                 For now a lot of us will experience spring surf fishing vicariously through your posts.

Thanks dixie, finally went out to the Point with my nephew at 10pm  for a couple hours. He landed one. long story but I'm tired as a #$%7^&. The journey continues.....

thumbnail_IMG_20200523_005201.jpg

4 hours ago, Salt T said:

Got it just in time too. Closed the point today for oystercatcher chicks. :waiting:

No matter....if there's red drum around Pilotman will find them...even if it's an overwash puddle in the parking lot...he'll catch'em.

7 hours ago, dixiekraut said:

No matter....if there's red drum around Pilotman will find them...even if it's an overwash puddle in the parking lot...he'll catch'em.

Sorry Dixie not looking good for Drum since the closure. It's been a really crazy day. CRAZY. Was scheduled to move into a new beach house for the week this afternoon but couldn't bc it's for sale and a potential buyer was getting a showing. So we pack everything up and head to the beach. Cast out the rods and right after we get a call that the beach house is ready. Reel in the rods. Unpack everything. Then head out to the beach again. But the Point is closed off. There is a Natural Resource truck at the cut off fence explaining to fishermen, so I get info from him and he tells me I can walk there if I stay near the low tide line like they have allowed in past years. Shows me the paperwork stating that. By now Connie is done and wants to get back and fish at the beach house. So I take her there and ready to head to the Point but realize I don't have my phone. I remember I placed it on the back bumper when we cast out the rods so when the rental company called I could hear it.:bonk: So my nephew and I race back to ramp 44 and my nephew recognizes the family we were next to and wallah! A black phone in the sand. So we race back, have a quick dinner and get to ramp 44 at 7:!5. ( trucks gotta be off by 9pm) Grab our stuff and start walking. Then the truck next to the cut off starts cussing us out for crossing the line. An older couple, my age 50s. I tell them you can walk in the water and  have done this for years and about my meeting with Resource guy earlier. They were not having it. Calling someone a MF'er, they should consider themselves lucky that we were in a mad rush to get a good 1 1/2 hrs of fishing in. Turns out there were over a dozen people there. And more came..... No drum bc the Point is all big sharks. Nephew and I hook up immediately and I land mine in about 35 minutes and nephew loses his after 45 minutes of battle. Exhausted we are done and we are the first ones to walk back to the truck and there is a park ranger waiting and tells us although it's been a gray area as far as walking to the point in the past, feet in the water, between the low and high tide line, that this year is different, Kinda.  ??? So who is right? The natural resource guy who showed me the paper work or the park police?  I need to get to the bottom of this. I need a vacation from my vacation. :point: Crazy day.

thumbnail_IMG_20200523_202028.jpg