JohnP

Head Cement

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

What are you guys using?

for larger flies I use hard as nails or a UV resin if I really need it to be strong.

‘but for smaller flies, including dry flies the hard as nails is too thick

thinking of fly tite

?

15 mins ago, JohnP said:

What are you guys using?

A drop or 2 of thin super glue is where I go.

Strong and dries in under a min.

What more could you ask for?

3 mins ago, Seakarp said:

A drop or 2 of thin super glue is where I go.

Strong and dries in under a min.

What more could you ask for?

‘only prob with super glue is the bottle always dries out quickly

I've been using this stuff for all kinds of lure and tying things. When I put the cap back on I have no problems. Those little dollar store tubes can be a pain. I got this glue in the three pack shown from fleabay. They make thick, thin, bigger and smaller sizes ect. I'm happy with it.

Screen Shot 2020-05-01 at 9.16.33 AM.png

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, JohnP said:

but for smaller flies, including dry flies the hard as nails is too thick

Get some nail polish thinner at your local drug store and thin the hard as nails with a few drops. Don't use nail polish remover. Use nail polish thinner.

I also use one of these needle tip applicator bottles. They're available for just a couple of bucks at most online shops that sell fly tying materials.

5eac2c5dcbb25_Needletipapplicatorbottle.png.d916592e50a9aa887b2652ed5106c8d7.png

Edited by smath
misspelling

8 hours ago, JohnP said:

What are you guys using?

for larger flies I use hard as nails or a UV resin if I really need it to be strong.

‘but for smaller flies, including dry flies the hard as nails is too thick

thinking of fly tite

?

Go with the one you are thinking.  Fly-Rite’s Fly-Tite is odor free and one of the best for small flies. 

8 hours ago, smath said:

Get some nail polish thinner at your local drug store and thin the hard as nails with a few drops. Don't use nail polish remover. Use nail polish thinner.

I also use one of these needle tip applicator bottles. They're available for just a couple of bucks at most online shops that sell fly tying materials.

5eac2c5dcbb25_Needletipapplicatorbottle.png.d916592e50a9aa887b2652ed5106c8d7.png

so I got into a debate with my wife about the best nail polish thinner. She says acetone.  I’ll try that will also try fly tite

58 mins ago, JohnP said:

so I got into a debate with my wife about the best nail polish thinner. She says acetone.

I don't want to get into a fight with your wife, but there is a difference between nail polish thinner and remover (usually acetone). Google it and check it out for yourself.

44 mins ago, smath said:

I don't want to get into a fight with your wife, but there is a difference between nail polish thinner and remover (usually acetone). Google it and check it out for yourself.

I did..far from clear...

what I do gather is ‘head cement’ for saltwater flies is dramatically different from what is needed for size 18-20 dry flies

the dry flies need a consistency of water or alcohol..whereas it’s ok if the glue for SW flies has the consistency of maple syrup 

Don't tie as many small flies these days.  I'll use either a bit of super glue, or one of the thin UV resins when I do.

17 hours ago, Capt.Castafly said:

I must be "Ole School"

Still use lacquer on trout flies.

You can always add more thinner to control viscosity.  

One other thing with lacquer. It penetrates well, dries quickly, but most of all very few blocked hook eyes.

I hate when I'm on a stream and try to run a tippet through the eye and it's blocked. Now I got to hold onto the fly, the rod, and now reach for  the nippers and needle. Never have I had an issue with a head coming undone. Lacquer might be lighter than other glues, might make a lighter, higher floating  dry fly. Of course that depends on the density of hackles and body material too.   

For big salty flies, I use either Hard as Nails, UV resin or liquid fusion..depends on the pattern.

For freshwater flies, down to ~14, I'll use Hard as Nails.  For small flies..16-22, I don't bother with anything.  Can't remember the last time one unraveled...

I'm with Capt. Castafly, i.e. old school at least for freshwater flies for which I've been using lacquer (Veniard's Cellire) since I began tying more than 40 years ago. More so as I tied mostly Atlantic salmon flies for thirty-five years and a glossy well-formed head is a "requisite" (according to the book) and 5 coatings of Cellire does the job for that. And I keep two bottles of lacker,  one thin for the first application and one thicker for the rest.

But I'm not old school for saltwater flies that I began tying six years ago. I moved rapidly to Hard as Nails and also  keep a two bottle system as for the lacquer. And I use nail thinner to keep the consistency  I want in each.

Guess we all have our idiosyncrasies!