Sudsy

Reports Thread for May 2020

Rate this topic

651 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, nam1969 said:

Nice catch. BTW, if those blues weren't worth mentioning, why did you mention them! :D

Lol well they weren’t picture worthy ,btw there was one guy near me when I caught the bass, he said he wouldn’t tell anyone if I kept it. Let’s just say our conversation went south from there. Smh

2 mins ago, TheLuckyStrike said:

Lol well they weren’t picture worthy ,btw there was one guy near me when I caught the bass, he said he wouldn’t tell anyone if I kept it. Let’s just say our conversation went south from there. Smh

lol

Hi all,

I've been skunked on the beach with salted clams for the past two weeks. Did pretty well with fresh and salted clams the weeks prior, but then it all went to nothing. 

I am going to head up to the beach in central OC this evening and want to throw some artificials.  Does anyone have any advice on what I should be chucking out there? Bucktails, metal, SPs?

Thanks.

56 mins ago, beerspitnight said:

Hi all,

I've been skunked on the beach with salted clams for the past two weeks. Did pretty well with fresh and salted clams the weeks prior, but then it all went to nothing. 

I am going to head up to the beach in central OC this evening and want to throw some artificials.  Does anyone have any advice on what I should be chucking out there? Bucktails, metal, SPs?

Thanks.

hey man, still waiting for my 1st striper but have been catching flukes on 1/2 ounce bucktail with green gulp or squid and blues on green and white avas, good luck, I'm heading out around 5pm myself hoping to catch illusive striper.

Pulled an early morning shift SoMoCo to catch the beginning of the outgoing. Steady NW wind, decent amount of white water and clean. Found 2 plump 25”s on a blurple teaser. No love for the sluggo, eel or plastics. Rounded the outing out with a cocktail blue at sunrise that tore up my plastic. 

3161A281-AE9B-460A-B736-36DDDE6B903D.jpeg

D99E05B4-FB6D-423E-A740-70C9E143159C.jpeg

Great morning for fighting fish. Yes, bluefish, but after all the skunks as of late... felt good to be on them from 5 to 8 am. One after the other. Sat on the same general area all morning on 007 Ava. Out back OC from my yak. This wasn't even the most packed fish finder pick.

20200531_064608.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

my boat fish dont count report

found some fluke way in back water was 70*

no social distancing in back for the young folk, party flotillas and beach parties, one 30ish ft sea ray musta had 15 people on it

kayaker flipped in raritan bay, as I was filleting fluke at the marina, the local FD boat ran out to help, FWIW, I fished in back cuz the bay was too rough, I hope the yakker was rescued, but you got to know you limitations

Edited by ferret

Figured I’d finally contribute considering I’ve learned so much from this site.  

Out front Ocean County from 9am-2pm.  Observed bait upon arrival, just about dead low tide.  Threw everything for a couple hours and ended up snagging a nice sized bunker.  Nothing seemed to be on them.  Took a break around 11 with bunker still happily swimming around in front, streaks of bait up and down the beach.  At about noon a whale started to come in close, and the water began to boil.  Went back in and caught 6 cocktails on wonder bread SP Minnow, deadly dick, and an Ava.  Dropped more than a few.  Lost the dick to a chewed line.  Fun day.  I’ve been to this spot a few times over the past month and got very little - right place, right time today.

fishing MC out front 530pm-645pm. Didnt have a lot of time to fish but not a tap.  Tried bucktail, shad, and ava.  Another gentleman was fly fishing. I think he may have caught something really small but not sure was a good distance away.  Tired of the Skunk.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hit the outgoing in central OC today.  Spent 3 hours trying spooks, poppers, SPs, and bucktails.  Only managed to pull a nice size fluke on the bucktail.  The water was clean.

Ospreys were killing it though.  Saw a whale as well.

Edited by beerspitnight

2 hours ago, dgul said:

Figured I’d finally contribute considering I’ve learned so much from this site.  

Out front Ocean County from 9am-2pm.  Observed bait upon arrival, just about dead low tide.  Threw everything for a couple hours and ended up snagging a nice sized bunker.  Nothing seemed to be on them.  Took a break around 11 with bunker still happily swimming around in front, streaks of bait up and down the beach.  At about noon a whale started to come in close, and the water began to boil.  Went back in and caught 6 cocktails on wonder bread SP Minnow, deadly dick, and an Ava.  Dropped more than a few.  Lost the dick to a chewed line.  Fun day.  I’ve been to this spot a few times over the past month and got very little - right place, right time today.

Same area and time, yes that whale was cool to see. Great to be out again

Tried the early AM bite again. SoMoCo, tide flip into outgoing. Flat ocean, clean and clear water but few spots of white water. Walked the same stretch but nada. Had 1 fluke type hit at the lip at the end of the outing. Skunk. May try this evening.

Moco last night. Ocean side skunk going strong for me this year. Haven't had a hit out front in about a half dozen attempts. 

On 5/30/2020 at 7:14 PM, JohnnyG said:

Took the 4 yr old out front today. Got one short and two blues.  Last weekend we had a 28 and 35 (last pic).  He’s really hooked!

2DBC693E-EA23-4095-BA7B-46B66F9F0C13.jpeg

91C2F571-A392-48DD-91B1-39B6227F5C5C.jpeg

BC32E745-DFA4-4E9E-88C8-027E7EA6DF56.jpeg

That's awesome.. I can't wait to get my kid out, he will be 3 this september.  I've heard on here that 7 is a good starting age because their attention span is short at young ages.  Do you find him engaged or does he run around and you end up chasing him?