Sudsy

Reports Thread for May 2020

Rate this topic

489 posts in this topic

On 5/1/2020 at 0:01 AM, Sudsy said:

This has been a strange spring, lets hope that things start getting back to normal soon

Things are picking up again so it's time to ease up on the off-topic conversation. If you want to start a discussion, start a new thread.

Report as little or as much detail as you would like to provide the reader but please don't post specific street names or areas, (cites, parks, landmarks etc).

A specific spot is too much information!

It's not like telling a friend or two, posting it here is telling thousands. Doing so only creates crowds, garbage, and loss of our spots.

For example, you can say that you did not catch fish in Ocean County but saying that you skunked at Ocean Beach is a no-no.

The terms to use are..........

Monmouth County
Ocean County
Atlantic County
Cape May County
North Jersey for the Hudson and other backwaters.

County name plus "In the back" for Inlets, Rivers, and Bays. 

Thanks for making the thread this month!

On 5/2/2020 at 10:38 PM, AH Perry said:

Just got in and fished around back in Moco. Only fished for an hour and got 1 about 28" released on mag darter. Bunker everywhere in the dark.  But sadly, I saw helicopters circling out a ways. Prayers...I think I know what happened but don't wanna speculate.

Three kayakers capsized in the Raritan Bay off Perth Amboy Saturday afternoon; two were rescued, but a third remains missing.

16 mins ago, shbeachbum said:

Three kayakers capsized in the Raritan Bay off Perth Amboy Saturday afternoon; two were rescued, but a third remains missing.

Yes, that was exactly what I heard that night as I was fishing but I didn't want to get too detailed and worry people here. I heard it from a yakker friend of mine who was out there and he pulled a vest and a bag of snacks out of the water. Kayaking, experienced or not is dangerous but I know everything has some level of danger. I'm happy with my feet on the sand. Continued prayers for missing fisherman and family. 

27 mins ago, GeoffT said:

From what I'm told they weren't wearing PFDs - which right off the bat is a no-no.  

No PFD and assuming no dry suit?  Terrible.  I wonder what the situation was that caused all 3 to roll. 

46 mins ago, fishless said:

No PFD and assuming no dry suit?  Terrible.  I wonder what the situation was that caused all 3 to roll. 

Most likely the same bad weather that capsized a boat off Point Lookout on Saturday. One dead, three rescued.

1 hour ago, fishless said:

Conditions were sporting at times NJ side on Saturday. 

You gotta be smart about when to get out on the water with a kayak.   There was a few times I went, took one look and turned around back home.  

Yes, being out on Saturday, the wind was pretty stiff with a few heavy gusts. Between the boat traffic, the wind, not ideal for a small craft let alone a kayaker. Breaks your heart to hear stuff like this.

On 5/2/2020 at 4:11 PM, Still_pluggin91911 said:

One eyed willy ^^ , maybe lost it to foul hook set or treble hook. Very Unfortunate.

Or maybe a Lamprey?

8 hours ago, joefishnj21 said:

Well the fish seem to have lockjaw, for me at last. Skunk saturday afternoon as well as sunday afternoon. Tons of bait. Seems like the fish are pretty spread out. will either try again today or tomorrow. 

Yes, same area, dead

Went out this morning to see if any choppers have made it yet into the local waters.  Nice conditions, no one answered.  Moved out front and again real nice water and a bright sunny morning.  Didn't matter, still no fish.  MoJo meter is hitting a new low.  Back out tomorrow somewhere on the hunt.