Sudsy

Reports Thread for May 2020

Rate this topic

489 posts in this topic

Fished bayshore from 5-7:30 for opening day of fluke.Not a tap. Water was dead calm up until around 6:15 then started to blow like usual.Saw some bluefish going after some spearing schools, bluefish nearly ending up on land. Called it an evening at 7:30. Water still feels kinda cold for fluke. Anyone else have better luck with their opening day of fluke? 

23 hours ago, Still_pluggin91911 said:

Opening day of fluke season starts tomorrow. Today's weather may probably of been the nicer of the two days. Forecast rain by afternoon and overcast. Guess its worth a shot reguardless, next week wife's giving birth to our daughter so that means less fishing more babysitting.☺️

Congrats! Remember, you’re not babysitting, you’re parenting. Life changes forever...

My 8yr old son is my highlight of everyday. He went fishing today with me, although we didnt land anything he had a blast. Now that I'm having a daughter things may be different but always good to get them started with certain things when their young  so they grow into it.

Good trip tonight. Moco out back 7:00-10:00. Super dark and misty night which put the fish in real close.  Two blues to 5lbs, 1 bass about 26" and something quite large I fought all the way into the wash and it came unbuttoned just like a weakfish would after a long fight.  Even though I had the drag quite loose, because I was targeting these large weakies that should be around right now, and the hook set was solid, this fish came off. Large weaks (10lbs.+), in my experience are very hard to land in the surf because of their weak mouths.  Gonna loose a little sleep about that one but not too much. Blessing just to be out there and I'm still riding that high from NAM's post. 

il_794xN.1849876531_mahq.jpg

Edited by AH Perry

4 hours ago, Still_pluggin91911 said:

Fished bayshore from 5-7:30 for opening day of fluke.Not a tap. Water was dead calm up until around 6:15 then started to blow like usual.Saw some bluefish going after some spearing schools, bluefish nearly ending up on land. Called it an evening at 7:30. Water still feels kinda cold for fluke. Anyone else have better luck with their opening day of fluke? 

Fished bayshore for an hour, 6:30 pm to 7:30pm, landed 2 flukes, 1 short and a 19 inch keeper, guys around me also caught fluke nearly all shorts, few cocktail bluefish, and a lot of sea robins, overall a lot of fun to get out even though it drizzled a few times, will try again on kayak next couple of days, but flukes are definitely in although most are shorts.    

Monmouth County out front

Just got back to the car. What a night. The kind of night us Jetty casters and surf fisherman dream about. Foggy misty light south wind with plenty of white water. Lost two very large fish in the rocks. The first one hit a white shad with a 1 ounce head and I couldn’t stop it. Couple of big head shakes. Smoked me and wrapped around rocks.

Second one got I got close. Went down to grab it and the line got wrapped around some old fishing line. A couple of waves came in bye-bye second fish. I couldn’t Gaffey because it might’ve killed a way over 38 inch fish. Lost count of how many other fish I caught. All on a white shad with a 1 ounce lead head.

Not a soul in site....

New moon, May, dropping tide.....recipe for sucess.

I finished my new strykr tonight for the first time and it worked great. I like it.

Eeeeels........

19 hours ago, nam1969 said:

Out front, MoCo, from 7:45 to 9 am. Great looking white water, no cabbage, and water still chilly (49). Not a tap. Tried all types of plugs. No bird action, actually only one or two gulls visible. The surprising thing was that I was the only guy fishing! Not another angler in sight.

As I was finishing up, I felt a little disappointed in the results, until I realized that I should be grateful as hell. I live 5 minutes from the beach, have most of my mental and physical facilities working, which isn't bad for a 75 year old, and a supportive wife and family. I also thought back to friends of mine who didn't make it back from Nam, not as fortunate as I was. I thought about the personal struggles that I and many of my comrades have gone through since our physical return. I buried more of my fellow vets to suicide than I lost in combat. They're names are on the other side of the Wall in Washington, not visible to those who didn't know them. I thought of those who have died and are dying from the cancers and other diseases associated with the chemical "bullets" that rained from the sky. They too are on the other side of the Wall.  

Take a moment this weekend to remember those who gave the fullest measure of service and didn't come back from the Final Patrol. Also remember those on the other side of the Wall, whose numbers continue to mount. God bless them.

Amen,

May God bless them as we'll as you.

Thank you for your service.

JD

20 hours ago, nam1969 said:

Out front, MoCo, from 7:45 to 9 am. Great looking white water, no cabbage, and water still chilly (49). Not a tap. Tried all types of plugs. No bird action, actually only one or two gulls visible. The surprising thing was that I was the only guy fishing! Not another angler in sight.

As I was finishing up, I felt a little disappointed in the results, until I realized that I should be grateful as hell. I live 5 minutes from the beach, have most of my mental and physical facilities working, which isn't bad for a 75 year old, and a supportive wife and family. I also thought back to friends of mine who didn't make it back from Nam, not as fortunate as I was. I thought about the personal struggles that I and many of my comrades have gone through since our physical return. I buried more of my fellow vets to suicide than I lost in combat. They're names are on the other side of the Wall in Washington, not visible to those who didn't know them. I thought of those who have died and are dying from the cancers and other diseases associated with the chemical "bullets" that rained from the sky. They too are on the other side of the Wall.  

Take a moment this weekend to remember those who gave the fullest measure of service and didn't come back from the Final Patrol. Also remember those on the other side of the Wall, whose numbers continue to mount. God bless them.

The ones who have wounds that can't be seen should not be on other side of the wall. They should be in plain view for all of us to appreciate. Thank you for making sure we remember that.

MOCO our back 6-8am. Had a hard time gettin up this morning but glad I did as I finally got into a decent bite after a little drought. Had three bass and  multiple cocktail blues to keep me interested as well. The biggest of the stripers was caught on a wonder bread SP  at false dawn. After sun up the bite went cold for the stripers and I moved over to targeting the little blue fish for fun. 

TY to all the members who served or are actively serving in our armed forces! 

I'm glad a couple of guys had success. Gives me hope. Fished out front, MoCo, from 7 to 8:15 am. Beautiful white water. Nice lip along the wash. Found three nice rips. Not even a tap! A lot of sand bug carcasses on the beach. Only sign of life I saw was an osprey going by with a bunker in tow. I swear he laughed at me! Surfer dudes and one dudette were having a ball. Some big fronts on the waves. May give it a try toward dusk, depending on the weather. I'm thinking it might be time to resupply Jobu's rum and get a live chicken to sacrifice!

24 mins ago, nam1969 said:

I'm glad a couple of guys had success. Gives me hope. Fished out front, MoCo, from 7 to 8:15 am. Beautiful white water. Nice lip along the wash. Found three nice rips. Not even a tap! A lot of sand bug carcasses on the beach. Only sign of life I saw was an osprey going by with a bunker in tow. I swear he laughed at me! Surfer dudes and one dudette were having a ball. Some big fronts on the waves. May give it a try toward dusk, depending on the weather. I'm thinking it might be time to resupply Jobu's rum and get a live chicken to sacrifice!

unnamed.jpg

53 mins ago, nam1969 said:

hey Nam, I have a feeling I know what beach you're fishing at, I feel that place is almost barren, went there 4 times in last 2 weeks with nothing to show for it, everyone I passed also gave thumbs down, for me anyway the bay is where the action is, then again I most likely don't know how to fish that area since only started fishing last couple of years ago. 

Question for anyone: is it possible to catch porgy from surf? Went on a charter boat last year and caught a bunch, wife really likes them, I research a lot but looks like they're an offshore fish, just asking if anyone has caught from beach/bay? 

1 hour ago, nam1969 said:

Shall I send my shaman your way?