Sudsy

Reports Thread for May 2020

Rate this topic

489 posts in this topic

Just got in and fished around back in Moco. Only fished for an hour and got 1 about 28" released on mag darter. Bunker everywhere in the dark.  But sadly, I saw helicopters circling out a ways. Prayers...I think I know what happened but don't wanna speculate.

8 hours ago, mike07gsxr said:

Tired of these 20lbers ...where's the 40s and 50s hiding??

20200502_235543.jpg

I'm Neva tired of 20 pounders....:rav:

Nice Stealth pic wit No Flash...

smaaaht....:witty:merman

Out front, MoCo, from 12:30 to 1:45 pm. Ocean has laid down quite a bit from yesterday. Still some decent wave action, but much less white water. Surfer dudes were out in force. Water temp has risen a couple of degrees to 48. WSW wind. Water has cleared up a lot. Bugs prevalent and larger. Also seeing more crab sheds. Not a touch today. Still, just great to be out. Does a lot for the psyche. 

Surprisingly, the beach was fairly empty. Only one other fisherman out and he was two jetties down. Hope to get out tomorrow.

Fished the entire incoming  tide last night. several spots. Caught a few around 3:45AM. Avoided the skunk.... I did get a few on the tsunami eel.... 

Are there significantly more crowds in the bayside of MoCo at night and before dawn the past two days? Asking for a friend. Thanks. 

Raritan Bay outgoing water temps was sitting at 58 on the kayak. Fish very spread out and I did see a fleet where I'm sure the fish moved on to but wasnt going to do the hike knowing I had work later. No bluefish for those that are wondering and yes I was targeting them but only found stripes to around 26"-30". Water still a little stained from past days rain.

OC county- went out to try for a bit and ran into a Schoolie sunset bite, nothing of size but it was nice as there was no wind and it was flat calm, ended with 12 fish, 3 being keepers no exact measurements as I used a tape marker on my rod. First trip down south and it was a success.

Out back this evening. Caught a large eel on a fly. A first for me and very odd. Ended up with a striped one later. First time using the new to me, TFO 7 weight. Slow rod compared to what I am used to, took a little while to find its sweet spot for casting, plenty of back bone once game was on. Good for small flys/poppers on a floating line. Not an ocean rod by any means but in the right places eases the strain on elbow compared to 10 weight.  

Nothing for me last two nights on the incoming, seems to be a consistent outgoing bite.  Here's a couple I caught this spring. I don't post too many pics but it's nice to flex once in awhile lol. Sluggo and Hydrominnow

FB_IMG_1588557381374.jpg

FB_IMG_1588557370873.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

Just finished up. Raritan bay NY side. Bunker everywhere. Slow bite at night. Managed three nice weakies and one nice bass mid 20s. All on the buck tail. 

B6100A5B-09BF-4179-A723-A94DA6D749B5.jpeg

Edited by Joeeee

Well the fish seem to have lockjaw, for me at last. Skunk saturday afternoon as well as sunday afternoon. Tons of bait. Seems like the fish are pretty spread out. will either try again today or tomorrow. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Been practicing max social distancing and switched over to freshwater and fished local with nobody around for the better part of April.  But did switch back to salt and got one of these Friday night after sitting thru a downpour, felt very satisfying.  :skunk: 

Edited by fishless

OC outfront 530-830. 2 20+ inchers on clams, one was a double header with a skate. Nothing on artificals. Saw one guy down the way hook up on bait i think too.

Beach was pretty empty which was a pleasant surprise. Still early though.