oceanAddict

Few deck questions

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

We have mahogany (I believe) deck that was stained in dark color by previous owners. It looks ugly and I want to bring it back to original (natural?) color. I'm planning to use penetrating oil but how to properly remove whatever left from old coating? 

IMG_5094.jpg.64f4770732675d1b06ea65c980003043.jpg 

IMG_5096.jpg.e9ee86d622db7a7d5e8fd4eb4e4f37a9.jpg

Another question - I might need to go disassemble the decking for foundation and sill plate repair. Is this kind of decking designed to be removed and put back together? I can see the fasteners in some places. Thanks

IMG_5098.jpg.ea2dd84f91e74857abb73822a58bb143.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

Yep it has clips  To get at the clips, go to the end of deck and look, maybe a nailer on the end of some kind of finish clip under the last board.  That would mean, disassembling the whole deck?  lot of work?

the other thing is the clips? maybe hard to undo them and if you break them  , they may be hard to replace.

maybe not made anymore.  But they do make newer.  

You can sand the top .but the edges will take some time.  The wood in hard , so thats a good thing. That means the stain didn't suck into the wood that much. The top looks dry and the stain may come of easy?  Try a small section   let us know whats going on. 

Don't use a coarse sand paper. I would use a medium, so you don't scratch it. 

Edited by ccb

Yeah, ^^^^ like he said. I don't recognize that particular style of hidden fastener/clips, otherwise I could talk you through removing them. Take a good look and see if the screws are Roberts (square drive) or star. If you can match the bit you have at least a chance at removing one board. And that's all you need to do to get started. One board will give you access to the rest.  The rest of the boards can be cut out from below if need be.  

However, if the screws cam out and ya strip the heads it becomes harder. If they are stainless ( which they well might be) and they cam out, it get's even harder as stainless is a bear to cut.

Do some serious closer inspection. Try to see what the screw heads are first. Then look for the best place to attack.

Since I'm working from home now, that'll be $25.00 please  ;) 

I've had my floor guy sand out entire mahogany decks for me prior to refinishing. Well worth the bucks.

I have also painstakingly used a combination of a grinder with a sanding wheel and a palm sander to get smaller mahogany decks back to bare. That type of work is a bear.  :laugh:

Good luck and use a good sealer / stain when you are done stripping. Ben Moore Arborcoat has been a nice choice for me.

I was hoping that I could wash it without sanding. I refinished deck once but it was some basic wood. Yeah, sanding was not fun. Especially small details. I see some boards warped - sides up, I think it's the side of excessive moisture.

Not really excited about the possibility to disassemble an entire deck  - to get the problem area I would need to take apart everything :(  I found a mounting clip they used.  Screws are stars.   

nothing works on mahogany period. It will be a losing battle for you in years to come. Total maintainence  for the rest of your life. Mahogany looks good when it first goes down that's it. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Please explain. Everything left outside need maintenance. Town nearby just built a boat pier with mahogany or very similar wood and I grabbed a piece of scrap for experimenting. I was shocked how dense is it

Edited by oceanAddict

I would like to see a picture of the clip they used.   
You could try paint remover.  Try the one for oil base .  As it lifts up , see if you can scrape it off.  Try to get most of it.   Try a little section 

Then wash it with hot water and try and get the rest of it off with a stiff scrub brush.  Try TSP , it’s strong. 
The wood itself is great.  Wears like iron.  It will out live you.  It looks like White Honduras 

mid you get it off, just use a wood preserver, clear 

4 hours ago, oceanAddict said:

Please explain. Everything left outside need maintenance. Town nearby just built a boat pier with mahogany or very similar wood and I grabbed a piece of scrap for experimenting. I was shocked how dense is it

Probably IPE decking. Mahogany is dense but nothing compared to IPE.

On 4/30/2020 at 3:16 PM, gray gables said:

Probably IPE decking. Mahogany is dense but nothing compared to IPE.

He doesn’t have that on his deck . IPE is ( Brazilian Walnut ). It is also darker in color.   Maybe IPE was used on the boat pier ? 

38 mins ago, ccb said:

He doesn’t have that on his deck . IPE is ( Brazilian Walnut ). It is also darker in color.   Maybe IPE was used on the boat pier ? 

I’m sure that’s what they used on the pier. Mahogany is overrated for exterior decks. Covered porches it’s fine, outside direct sun it’s not. 

I had a mahogany deck and I would rent a random orbit floor sander every other year and give it a good sanding. I used timber oil by Ben Moore. 

35 mins ago, littletunnie said:

I had a mahogany deck and I would rent a random orbit floor sander every other year and give it a good sanding. I used timber oil by Ben Moore. 

Wow, every year??

On 4/30/2020 at 11:57 AM, ccb said:

I would like to see a picture of the clip they used.   
You could try paint remover.  Try the one for oil base .  As it lifts up , see if you can scrape it off.  Try to get most of it.   Try a little section 

Then wash it with hot water and try and get the rest of it off with a stiff scrub brush.  Try TSP , it’s strong. 
The wood itself is great.  Wears like iron.  It will out live you.  It looks like White Honduras 

mid you get it off, just use a wood preserver, clear 

3B081496-3971-4077-B317-F2DEF4368610.jpeg

A5D79709-4727-4684-B8FF-AD2106385B4C.jpeg

image.jpg

3 hours ago, oceanAddict said:

Wow, every year??

Every other year I installed the vinyl railings and I would remove them and the post covers and it would only take a couple hrs. 20'x14' deck