Jozep

Dive reel for kayak anchor

30 posts in this topic

Hi Folks, has anyone had any success in restringing a dive reel with about 100’ of 550 parachord?  Or is that stretching it’s capacity ?  Also a recommendation of a dive reel that can achieve or come close to that would be appreciated. Thanks and stay safe. 

My study of the subject was that dive reels are made for much 2mm lighter line. You'd never get 100' of 550 on there. I made my own with over 200' of capacity.

22 hours ago, SwimBait said:

Where are you fishing where you need a 100ft anchor line?

I will be fishing Nj backbays and some lakes for know. May not use the anchor often. If you want to set up for some blowfish, or Tog near a sod bank , could come in handy. Probably don’t need the 100’ but would be nice to have just in case. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 5/2/2020 at 10:36 AM, Jozep said:

I will be fishing Nj backbays and some lakes for know. May not use the anchor often. If you want to set up for some blowfish, or Tog near a sod bank , could come in handy. Probably don’t need the 100’ but would be nice to have just in case. 

I often fish NY Harbor and the area where channels are 50' deep and currents heavy, so 200 seemed a good target. I consider the anchor part of my safety gear: that if my paddle or I suffered an injury I have a way of not getting washed out to sea. Yes I have a radio, but redundancy is good.

On 4/30/2020 at 6:52 AM, cheech said:

750 or 550 paracord may work depending on the conditions and the craft you are anchoring. 

6CE8364A-E057-4856-B603-FD3263727722.jpeg

If the pull on your anchor line is even 40lb you're doing something wrong. Even in current its pretty easy to pull yourself up to your anchor. The only time you'd actually put a load on would be if it's fouled.  Always use the zip tie trick. I've found a grapple anchor actually still works pretty well backwards when I ran out of zips!

Edited by gellfex

On 5/3/2020 at 6:33 PM, gellfex said:

I often fish NY Harbor and the area where channels are 50' deep and currents heavy, so 200 seemed a good target. I consider the anchor part of my safety gear: that if my paddle or I suffered an injury I have a way of not getting washed out to sea. Yes I have a radio, but redundancy is good.

If the pull on your anchor line is even 40lb you're doing something wrong. Even in current its pretty easy to pull yourself up to your anchor. The only time you'd actually put a load on would be if it's fouled.  Always use the zip tie trick. I've found a grapple anchor actually still works pretty well backwards when I ran out of zips!

Thanks for the feedback Guys. 

i have one, but use thinner , strong cord. I don't really liike it to much though. A liitle difficult to rewind on the reel.

4 hours ago, Cape said:

i have one, but use thinner , strong cord. I don't really liike it to much though. A liitle difficult to rewind on the reel.

I have the same problem getting it back on the reel, makes a mess on the spool. It gets Thicker towards where the line comes out of and then It starts to hit and get jammed as you wind it on. 

1 hour ago, HerringPoacher said:

I have the same problem getting it back on the reel, makes a mess on the spool. It gets Thicker towards where the line comes out of and then It starts to hit and get jammed as you wind it on. 

I also had these issues. In my opinion a dive reel is not a good option for kayak anchor line management. A plastic ski rope line manager is much easier to use. 

This is my fresh  anchor for places i can't use my pole, anchor block is 4-1/2 lbs winding the cord onto the cutting board is effortless....

20200523_200529.jpg.3345cf1429af8bdfb96dc852024f4583.jpg