Rate this topic

1,132 posts in this topic

On 5/9/2020 at 11:16 AM, BrianBM said:

The hospital in question must be unique in the Northeastern United States. The "so called surge never happened?"  Really?

Bodies in reefer trucks in most NY hospitals. ERs overwhelmed. Elective surgeries cancelled. NY crematoria working 24/7.

In what divinely spared location is your wife's hospital located?

Brian, NYC was uniquely affected. No where else, that I'm ware of has seen hospitals overwhelmed like those in NY. So all the conspiracy folks continue to pretend that hospitals weren't over loaded. The part that kills me is how many of them seem sad that hospitals in their areas weren't overwhelmed and they didn't have people dying in tents in the street :squid: The surge happened in NY/NJ - the areas that were spared owe it all to social distancing and masks...while they complain about both. It's crazy :wave:

TimS

On 5/10/2020 at 2:42 PM, Slacker said:

Sadly, we flushed the economy only to let this thing burn through the population 8 weeks later. But until and unless people see the dead pile up in their backyard, they are going to fight even the blandest of restrictions... restrictions like wearing a piece of cloth on their ugly mug. 

And then, when this thing is finally real to them, it will be too late to matter.

If you actually do the math, there's a handful of people opposing masks in this thread - they just tell you about it 175 times each while using childish names and insults directed at everyone else. Incredibly small portion of society yet sorta like vegans, atheists and crossfit people :read:

TimS

2 mins ago, TimS said:

If you actually do the math, there's a handful of people opposing masks in this thread - they just tell you about it 175 times each while using childish names and insults directed at everyone else. Incredibly small portion of society yet sorta like vegans, atheists and crossfit people :read:

TimS

I do none of those things and am adamantly against being forced to wear a mask.  There are many of us just the same.

10 mins ago, TimS said:

TimS

vegans might be a PIA,  but their activities do not harm other members of society

10 mins ago, FizzyFish said:

vegans might be a PIA,  but their activities do not harm other members of society

They seem benign but those vegans have killed countless cucumbers.

On 5/10/2020 at 6:49 PM, sams said:

Okay multiple (let's call it 100 or even 1000) people were arrested for refusing to wear masks.  That, in no way shape or form, resembles the atrocity committed by the Nazis.  When you hear of some being ground up in a wood chipper do you talk about the horrors of someone else's paper cut you heard about.

Like I said if you have a reasonable point make it in a reasonable fashion, or go troll someplace else.

Sam

Once somebody compares anything in the US with what the Nazis did, just ignore them moving forward - they've already gone off the deep end. This is internet 101 stuff...the Nazis didn't ask people to wear masks if they were going to be in close proximity to others - the Nazi gassed and killed millions of innocent people. There is no comparison that can be made, anyone that tries to make that leap can be immediately and permanently dismissed from the discussion :)

TimS

1 hour ago, TimS said:

Brian, NYC was uniquely affected. No where else, that I'm ware of has seen hospitals overwhelmed like those in NY. So all the conspiracy folks continue to pretend that hospitals weren't over loaded. The part that kills me is how many of them seem sad that hospitals in their areas weren't overwhelmed and they didn't have people dying in tents in the street :squid: The surge happened in NY/NJ - the areas that were spared owe it all to social distancing and masks...while they complain about both. It's crazy :wave:

TimS

I don't think that they're sad that their area hospitals weren't overloaded, I think their point is that any measures whatsoever to limit the spread of the disease were totally unwarranted.  That's scary.  It's better to have prepared for the worst than to be surprised by it, IMHO, but it is frighteningly irrational to insist that unused ventilators prove that distancing mandates and mask wearing are arbitrary exercises by gubernatorial Nazis.

On 5/10/2020 at 11:03 PM, rst3 said:

Here's the standard wax on/wax off distancing model. 

Screenshot_20200510-212920_Twitter.jpg.c9a827e0913447da7c194c96d545f2c2.jpg

I'm a big fan of your posts...they are among the most well thought out, most thoroughly researched and respectfully presented posts on the site :th:

I do have one issue/question with the charts in this post...they show numbers like 30 or so infections per 10K as being triggers for social distancing. Right now NJ - one of the two hardest hit states - is at TEN infections per 10K. NY is at around FOURTEEN infections per 10K.  So I'm having a hard time with numbers like 30...40...50....infections/10K as being triggers for social distancing. It's also a tough metric considering infections is a cumulative thing with the states showing cumulative totals. So the number per 10K....how is it ever gonna go down when it's cumulative? And we've been social distancing since the numbers were way less than even ONE per 10K...so I'm not really sure how to interpret these charts :o

TimS

On 5/11/2020 at 6:01 PM, MakoMike said:

Not the point Tim. They could have changed that or sent the nursing home patients there. No need to infect the old folks’ homes.

I agree, they could have done a dozen things...I was just saying the ship was not sent there to treat covid patients - that was never the intention.

TimS

On 5/11/2020 at 6:38 PM, Mike said:

Who's the whiney flare spitter who bitched to have this thread moved. 

Stand up and be counted! 

Me. I decided to move it. It became entirely inappropriate for any "fishing" forum here.

5 hours ago, Steve in Mass said:

Sorry  Tim , but it certainly fell well within the context of what the thread had become.

The thread became what it became in large part due to your posts. No idea when you became so angry and insulting, but it's not a great look for you :wave:

TimS

5 hours ago, Steve in Mass said:

Sorry, it is doing more harm than good.............

Except it's not. Wearing a mask helps keep your spit near your face and not in the air. It's a simple concept, it's physics. If someone got within SIX INCHES of your face that's as much your fault as theirs - why wouldn't you take a step back and say "WTF?" I'm aware of people around me, someone starts getting closer to me than I'm comfortable I'll step back and politely remind them they are too close. No way anyone is getting six inches away from me - OR my wife - once...much less "twenty times". That's, very literally, insane....I don't think anyone has gotten within six inches of my face without my consent even ONE TIME in my life. I find it weird, odd and strange you would say it's happened to you at least TWENTY times this past week.

TimS

57 mins ago, TimS said:

I'm a big fan of your posts...they are among the most well thought out, most thoroughly researched and respectfully presented posts on the site :th:

I do have one issue/question with the charts in this post...they show numbers like 30 or so infections per 10K as being triggers for social distancing. Right now NJ - one of the two hardest hit states - is at TEN infections per 10K. NY is at around FOURTEEN infections per 10K.  So I'm having a hard time with numbers like 30...40...50....infections/10K as being triggers for social distancing. It's also a tough metric considering infections is a cumulative thing with the states showing cumulative totals. So the number per 10K....how is it ever gonna go down when it's cumulative? And we've been social distancing since the numbers were way less than even ONE per 10K...so I'm not really sure how to interpret these charts :o

TimS

Nobody is, by design. It gives the leftist the cover they need to keep moving the re-open goal post. They will not allow it to appear that things are starting to normalize until the election. They are in a destructive, nation-killing battle to defeat Trump and save Obama from his failed legacy, at all cost...the loss of life, liberty and treasure mean nothing to them because it won’t affect them. Until the **** hits the fan.

1 hour ago, BrianBM said:

I don't think that they're sad that their area hospitals weren't overloaded, I think their point is that any measures whatsoever to limit the spread of the disease were totally unwarranted.  That's scary.  It's better to have prepared for the worst than to be surprised by it, IMHO, but it is frighteningly irrational to insist that unused ventilators prove that distancing mandates and mask wearing are arbitrary exercises by gubernatorial Nazis.

Whether you recognize it or not, your take on this is dead wrong. Cuomo was screaming for help. Trump, your bogey man, promised to send the Comfort as soon as it ready, and it will treat non-corona patients. Cuomo was wailing every day after that...”where’s mah ship, we need the ship, when is it coming.?!?” You may have watched his shrieking. Do you remember the bodies that Cuomo and Diblasio allow to pile up on the sidewalks amd in non-reefer U-haul trailers? Then Comfort arrives and he starts bitching that he needs it for corona. The ship was re-configured and he still wouldn’t use it...Heaven forbid your and his bogey man would get credit for anything.  And then the seniors were left to rot on Cuomo’s orders. And the Comfort sailed out of the Harbor.

1 hour ago, FizzyFish said:

My point was they will begin conversations with strangers for the sole purpose of telling them they are vegan...or atheist...it's kinda like that :)