Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. May 1st - May 31st

Rate this topic

167 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

1st splash of the year under our belts. Maybe more like a shake-down cruise. Hats of to Capt. Rene, of On the Rocks Charters for all his expertise this morning. Dunked the new boat trailer also for the 1st time. It needed plenty of lateral adjustments to fit the strakes, plus lowering the bunks in the craddle. We got that done easily enough. We retrieve the boat and the bunk locations are perfect.
We had some time to go fishing. Wind was strong out of the Northeast so there weren't many places to fly fish. We had a great tide being capped high around 6:30am.
Manage three schoolies. Capt Rene caught the biggest around 24 inches. Good to get all the kinks out today. Should be clear sailing if more boat ramps open up.

IMG_2006.JPG

IMG_2004.JPG

IMG_2628.jpg

Edited by Capt.Castafly

Got out in the mid west bay area yesterday evening and hooked into a few.  Had some swirls on the jumping minnow but no takers.  The pearl Queen Cocaho with 1/2 oz head was the ticket.  Picked up about 8 in about 45 min.  Mostly clean, smallish fish, one looked small enough to live in a fish bowl.  Tide was high going out, wind had picked up but we were sort of in the lee of a bank.

FWIW, i didn’t fish today but I did drive down to Point Judith light. Camp Cronin is open ( and crowded) but Rosies park parking lot is coned off. 

On 5/5/2020 at 10:38 AM, harborview860 said:

Last night the sand worm hatch was nuts. But didn’t see a single fish! I hope by tonight the fish will have found them. 

Is this different than the cinder worm? Had a night where I did ok with a sluggo but another guy was killing em on some wriggly black plastic. Wondered what the fish were feeding on.

17 hours ago, drc said:

Is this different than the cinder worm? Had a night where I did ok with a sluggo but another guy was killing em on some wriggly black plastic. Wondered what the fish were feeding on.

It's happening now on the Salt ponds in South County. The cinder worm spawn is beginning and active with lots of small stripers.

Cinder Worm Fertilization.wmv

Posted (edited) · Report post

Got lazy after work and cold beverages sounded better then fishing, kicking myself for not getting out before this cold front pushes through.  Got a funny feeling this will cause some lock jaw for a day or 2.  Cold wind and rain, with temps only in the 40's for Saturday.  Wish we could get out of this pattern of cold fronts every few days.

Edited by Kooky

So far for me just been catching micros.  Hoping to get into some better fish soon.

Access should start opening up soon that should help with more spots to choose from.     

20 mins ago, rwilhelm said:

So far for me just been catching micros.  Hoping to get into some better fish soon.

Access should start opening up soon that should help with more spots to choose from.     

Agreed, the limited access def makes it tougher.  Plus the spots you can access are getting pounded

Friday, May 8th

On the water from 6:30 - 9:00 am.

The wind and morning temperature were brutal.

Tried the upper bay that didn't work. Drifts were to fast. Could not orient and control the boat for fly casting.

Plan B, find some shelter, lee of the wind, at least to slow down our drifts so we could cast. Nanda!

Back to the ramp hoping to break the skunk.... one sea robin. Nothing on the sounder, no birds active anywhere.

The cold front and wind killed it this morning.

40 degrees this morning in May.... Global warming was a joke this morning.