Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. May 1st - May 31st

Rate this topic

167 posts in this topic

Several fish caught in the span of about an hour, from shore.

Most in the 26" class range, using light tackle.

Large sea robins too; rather aggressive.

Hit an upper bay spot late afternoon, way more people fishing than fish being caught. Got a few in the 22-24” range, overall slow. I’m getting fish pretty consistently, but never big numbers always just a few fish here and there.

Capt. Castafly and all other contributors....thank you for this post. I discovered it last year and this year I’ll contribute all season without burning spots. My first report.....40 fish caught in last 2 weeks.  Mostly Mid-bay in 3-8 feet with mud bottom and almost all 10 to 24inch fish. Two were 30 inch keepers (released) loaded with sea lice.  Shad pattern in mid water column did best.   

14 mins ago, Bassomatic 76 said:

Capt. Castafly and all other contributors....thank you for this post. I discovered it last year and this year I’ll contribute all season without burning spots. My first report.....40 fish caught in last 2 weeks.  Mostly Mid-bay in 3-8 feet with mud bottom and almost all 10 to 24inch fish. Two were 30 inch keepers (released) loaded with sea lice.  Shad pattern in mid water column did best.   

That's pretty good for early May! 

Ready to go for the 1st splash. Hopefully this week with the better weather window. Fish reports will follow.

Can't wait to get back on the water. Watching fish and seabirds social spaced is going to be weird.

YUN_0008.JPG

YUN_0022.JPG

YUN_0030.JPG

YUN_0044.JPG

45 mins ago, SwimBait said:

You really should learn how to keep your rig clean.

Ha, that was the first think I thought of when I saw the photos.  That and nice boat.  I'll be dropping my boat off later today so he can make mine look like that.  

2 hours ago, notime said:

Ha, that was the first think I thought of when I saw the photos.  That and nice boat.  I'll be dropping my boat off later today so he can make mine look like that.  

This is it's 11 year. Everyone thinks it's only a few years old. New 2020 engine this year, brand new trailer, brand new truck.

strugging to find all these Tog ……….covered a lot of ground today ….. four hits . 3fish ……...  all nice size ...don,t think I used 6 crabs & 6 Quahogs ><><

Went out last night out front mainly just to christen my new VS, stumbled upon many birds and a few tinkers. Water was a bit murky and seaweed was an issue..would like to go up the bay but assuming most of my preferred spots are all shut off for parking

Posted (edited) · Report post

What a shift in the day as that NW wind kicked into gear.  Headed out in the late evening, first stop was protected from the wind but tons of crap in the water, no fish and lots of folks fishing.  2nd Spot was windy as hell and that NW wind was cold.  Got 5 fish, more of slow trickle of fish, biggest ones near 26" and smallest prob 14".  Bite ended after dark, fish had sea lice but less, as these have probably been in the bay longer as this was way upper bay.

Edited by Kooky