Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. May 1st - May 31st

Rate this topic

167 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, SwimBait said:

Fishing anywhere in RI this weekend = nuts to butts.

Especially with those knuckle draggers from MA illegally crossing the border to fish here.

22 mins ago, drc said:

Especially with those knuckle draggers from MA illegally crossing the border to fish here.

I thought democrats in moonbat RI were for open borders? I'm just adhering to their leftist doctrine. Open borders for ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fished the first 3 hrs of outgoing last night. Nice moving water from a lingering SE swell, somewhat stiff breeze from the SSW (at my back/side where I was), and a clear sky. After my third or fouth cast I landed a dink and then spent the rest of my session catching nothing but seaweed every other cast. Didn't have the willpower to keep fishing through the bottom half of the tide. 

Sea robins and more sea robins.

At one point, I had a school of 8-10, bunched together, chasing after my lure.

Retrieve speed had to be faster than normal to avoid hook-up.

Wonder if this is the return year for the 17 year sea robin. (Cicada reference.)

Fished out front last pm, some hefty schoolies around but had to work for them. Bait filling into the backwaters. Hit the bay this morning, 2 nd stop had big blues crushing topwater. Forgot how fun they are.

ACDEA4CD-72CC-4FAF-B91C-C09C83312813.jpeg

I fished the end of the outgoing around the bridge today in Newport from the kayak. It was pretty dead. I did mark some bait here and there, and a few fish on the bottom. I jigged around and trolled a tube, but no bites. 

In a few spots, I got some funny looking returns on my sonar. It looked like a series of columns from about 2ft off the bottom up into the top half of the water column in 40’. It looked like bait, but the columns were pretty well organized and vertical. I was guessing maybe squid. I’ve never seen them on the sonar so I don’t know what they look like. 

Anyway, it was nice to be out. It was my first time fishing here so it was a little intimidating, but fun to check out new water.