Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. May 1st - May 31st

Rate this topic

193 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

The fish report blog was created as a communal gathering place to share and report weekly fishing activity. This sharing benefits those who greatly use this RI forum and our local waters.

The premise is to gather together all reports into one common portal unit, making it easy, accessible, viewing.  

This is the third year with this approach. Last year there was great participation. This year should be no different.

Post your success or skunks.   Either way, black or white, zero to hero,  let us all know. We are in this together.  

Fresh, factual information is the best Intel we have today for a better successful fishing trip tomorrow.  

I expect fewer fisherman will be fishing this year depending on individual circumstances. Factors effecting this is age, health, close parking, closed parks, and limited parking spaces.

Please be considerate when posting, especially now with closures to protect what open fishing and parking spots we now have.  

Those that can't fish right now, will probably enjoy at least hearing and sharing a good report or story from time to time.

We will run this blog for the full month of May, considering the limited access, limited locations, and social distance regulations.

Kooky jump started April already with fish reports. If you want to continue his, that no problem. Make your wishes known.

It's not about conflicts in the RI forum, but about sharing.  

Keep those reports coming. We'd all like to hear. 

Edited by Capt.Castafly

I’d like to say I really appreciate you taking the time to set up these weekly fishing report posts. It’s been very useful and very much appreciated. 

Seems like I'm catching a 23-25 inch fish or two almost every day.  Smalls and micros mixed in as well, of course. Probably catching at an average rate of two or three an hour, some days four an hour.  Haven't had any high number days yet, but I'm standing on the same plot of sand, not on a wall or jetty, letting the fish come to me.  I fish for around an hour a day, sometimes more, sometimes twice a day.  Always out front as I am lucky to have easy access.  Cocahoes on a slow retrieve, and when it gets rough, or I need a change, bucktails.

46 mins ago, ljschroe said:

Seems like I'm catching a 23-25 inch fish or two almost every day.  Smalls and micros mixed in as well, of course. Probably catching at an average rate of two or three an hour, some days four an hour.  Haven't had any high number days yet, but I'm standing on the same plot of sand, not on a wall or jetty, letting the fish come to me.  I fish for around an hour a day, sometimes more, sometimes twice a day.  Always out front as I am lucky to have easy access.  Cocahoes on a slow retrieve, and when it gets rough, or I need a change, bucktails.

The Mayor! Nice work 

Couple fish last pm, the weather shifted pretty dramatically in late afternoon from sunny and warm to cold and windy.  April weather patterns have been lousy, hope May can string a couple nice days together.  From looking at the 10 day forecast, starting Saturday looks like a warm up for next week.

I started at the end of last year and got a couple last night fishing a weightless Fin-s.  Never realized how much fish love those when fished slowly, just cast like crap.  Anyone else use them?  What are the colors you have most success with? I have been using white and Arkansas shiner ( i think).

Got skunked again today. Went down into my garage and didn't even get a bump. 

Oh well, maybe tomorrow will be my lucky day.

4 hours ago, Kooky said:

I started at the end of last year and got a couple last night fishing a weightless Fin-s.  Never realized how much fish love those when fished slowly, just cast like crap.  Anyone else use them?  What are the colors you have most success with? I have been using white and Arkansas shiner ( i think).

Yeah, I like fishing those.  Later in the season I switch to a larger size.  I mainly fish the white with olive green on top.  Good twitch action on them.

18 hours ago, Kooky said:

All the time, along with zooms

On 4/30/2020 at 1:27 PM, Kooky said:

Put a 1.25 oz Kalin Jig head on a 10” alewife.... killer this time of year