Bvd

Mitchell 306 Line Laying Issue

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Hello All. 

I recently picked up a Mitchell 306 which I’ve totally cleaned, regreased, and am trying to put back into service.

I have made the following modifications:

-Mitchell Manual Pickup Arm (original Mitchell Part #81593)

-Mitchell Manual Pickup Roller (reproduction sourced from The-Fisherman in Florida...he sells Mitchell parts on EBay)

-Removed Planetary Gears and installed Mitchell crosswind cam gear (original Mitchell Part # 81592)

-Spooled it with 20lb Original Fireline backed by Mono

The reel is functioning great, save one issue: Line Lay. It is laying heavily on the top of the spool but less on the lower portion. It can cause the line to almost get caught under the bunch sometimes. I know on some other model reels you can shim the spool with a washed, but if you know the Mitchell 306, the push button spool release mechanism and the way it mates to the reel shaft would not permit this. 

I went down to a large field and walked the line out under tension, then rewound it rightly under light drag, but had the same issue. 

Is there anything I can do, or is this just the nature of the beast when trying to adapt these old classic reels to using modern lines?

126E8161-8D80-49A8-8820-FB9A70D02E18.jpeg.506813653bc68d1ae50961e5960eb225.jpeg

D6B30A12-A16D-4378-9C8D-FDB5208669C8.jpeg.09a1cb765c65a97bfdc9b67911921bf5.jpeg

795C5DCD-BB55-41F8-8C46-B70E4589907B.jpeg.c7e2a1c8755d8d155dca6f9f06dd3c89.jpeg

I've got 2 of them, both with original planetary gears. They both laid line like that and it drove me crazy. I piled on a bunch of line by hand around the bottom of the spool to try to even it out, which kind of worked.

I ended up not using them because I didn't trust the drag setup much so they're just sitting in the collection now.

7 hours ago, oldmanjoe said:

Two things to try , 1  shim the spool forward ,  2  Adjust the arm with the roller back a little .

.o15 -.020  will change the line lay..

Excellent solution...

On 4/28/2020 at 10:56 PM, oldmanjoe said:

Two things to try , 1  shim the spool forward ,  2  Adjust the arm with the roller back a little .

.o15 -.020  will change the line lay..

Thanks for this excellent solution... I have one with similar issue.

On 4/28/2020 at 0:09 PM, Bvd said:

-Mitchell Manual Pickup Arm (original Mitchell Part #81593)

-Mitchell Manual Pickup Roller (reproduction sourced from The-Fisherman in

Not sure but this could be your problem that roller was meant to be used with OME bail arm to convert it to MPU, check with him on this l had used his line roller on a stock arm and it worked fine, l also think he sells one MPU as a hole kit for your his arm along with his line roller.

Preproduction line roller to fit an OEM bail arm?

Your line roller is sitting too high.

LB, 

I think you got it, roller too high, look at the top photo, spool fully extended roller looks to be at about mid spool, but I suppose that could be a camera angle thing too. 

Bvd

I'd try a reinstall of the factory bail.  Maybe simply measuring the roller height on both systems without a reinstall would be a tell.  Were there variations in the 306 production run that would make the kit # or roller incorrect for this particular reel.  I've dealt with The Fisher-Man in Deland FL, good folks, good for sourcing obsolete parts at reasonable prices, have you called them?  They may have dealt with this before.

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, Cuttyhunker said:

LB, 

I think you got it, roller too high, look at the top photo, spool fully extended roller looks to be at about mid spool, but I suppose that could be a camera angle thing too. 

Bvd

I'd try a reinstall of the factory bail.  Maybe simply measuring the roller height on both systems without a reinstall would be a tell.  Were there variations in the 306 production run that would make the kit # or roller incorrect for this particular reel.  I've dealt with The Fisher-Man in Deland FL, good folks, good for sourcing obsolete parts at reasonable prices, have you called them?  They may have dealt with this before.

He sent you the wrong kit, arm not long enough, measure the two-holes center to center on the old arm, and do the same to the new arm if their not the same that is your problem wrong arm. 

Looks short by about 1/4"

Edited by LB