MJOS617

Boston Harbor Jetty, Pier and Beach Fishing Suggestions

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

First post after discovering the sport last summer then spending the fall and winter learning as much as I could here. I figured it was time to sign up and start engaging.

I spent most of my time last year in Southie going for stripers and started looking at some other spots over the winter. Since we have the curfew in the city, was thinking that I might want to start fishing for fish other than striped bass. Was wondering if people have had success from shore for other species anywhere else in the the Boston area.

Thoughts appreciated.

29 mins ago, giggyfish said:

Hit the Sugarbowl with some clam strips and seaworms for flounder. Sunny warm morning and afternoon preferably on the beginning of the outgoing tide. 

Awesome, thanks. The Sugarbowl is where I spent most of my time last summer/ fall. Good to know that there are other fish there. I lost most of the bait I set out by the outflow. Do flounder and pollack like current or should I focus on stiller areas out there?

2 hours ago, giggyfish said:

Good luck I grew up fishing all those haunts 30 years ago. 

Have you fished the sugar bowl recently? I have never seen anyone pull a fish out of there, then again I am not there very often

50 mins ago, yemista said:

Have you fished the sugar bowl recently? I have never seen anyone pull a fish out of there, then again I am not there very often

It’s been all of 30 years since I’ve fished the sugar bowl from land. I was a member of the CYC till 2001 or so and caught many 20-30 pound bass off of the floats live lining pogies, tinkers and herring. Caught more blues in the the 80’s than anyone deserves and more than a few flounder and harbor pollack while sitting on my mooring ball. That’s all within looking distance of the sugar bowl. Don’t get me wrong it wasn’t easy often but it was good enough at one time to think it’s still worth trying. 

Do not just fish the outer edges of the bowl once you get there, but also target spots inside the bay as well. Fish near the inflow of water right at the bowl for flounder and or stop about 3/4 of the way out and find a place you can stand and jump over the fence . . Also do the same between the both islands from the beach area near the second flow nearest Castle Island on the incoming and out at the top of the tide.

Used to bait and wait the sugar bowl with my father when I was a kid but never any luck. The mystic and Charles flow just before it, surprised there isn’t more action in my opinion. 

that pier also has a typical crowd that would throw a 12” schoolie in the cooler

1 hour ago, yemista said:

Schoolies like the one to the left gave me reason to think it was worth spending my time out there.

13 hours ago, MJOS617 said:

Schoolies like the one to the left gave me reason to think it was worth spending my time out there.

back in another time walking the beaches with small plugs was a happening thing. I spent a great deal of time with a mitchle 300 and ten pound test on a 6 foot rod catching tons of small fish in the evening hours into dark . Occasionally we would hook a 20 pound fish , however that was not the normal. Keep in mind at that time the limit was 16 inches . Now on the other hand in the fall of the year when we set up to fish for cod at the Bowl stripers of up to 50 pounds would be caught in the outflows with eels . It was a short window to fish each night for the bass, but a much longer window for cod fish that we all loved to eat along with flounder. Most of that fishing was done in the dark of night for the cod and bass . We were allowed to bring out fire arms to shoot the rats at night , because they were so prevalent they had no problems getting into anything that was not secured. That was when the MDC was operating the policing. I was often given a ride back to bring out my van as long as I was out by day break . I miss those times for sure and know that we had a good fishery with multiple species from the cod, striper, flounder smelt. toutog. silvers, along with pollock and mackerel . One thing I will share with you is that the bay inside has several deep holes up to 60 feet closer to the outflow that does not have a gate on it. During the hard winter months we had two skin divers that got there limits of lobster every winter by diving on those holes . These are the same places where ripe mackerel would find there way on a moon incoming tide inside the bay and drop eggs that were fertilized and matured to become spikes , about 6 to8 inches and in the early fall would migrate out to the open sea. I once fished the edges of the sluice way during the high moon incoming with small rebels for bass and catch huge mackerel in the month of May . Different times, different people , but I often give it a thought to see how many changes have happened around those parts , but that is wishful thinking on my part at 86 now. Peace and Prayers  

3 hours ago, Angler #1 said:

back in another time walking the beaches with small plugs was a happening thing. I spent a great deal of time with a mitchle 300 and ten pound test on a 6 foot rod catching tons of small fish in the evening hours into dark . 

You describe my freshwater setup perfectly. Caught my first schoolie of the year on a 6’6” ugly stik and Mitchell 300 with 10lb mono leader. Fun fight