Squid Question

Rate this topic

Matt7082

44 mins ago, Matt7082 said:

How far into the bay do the squid normally go? I have access to the piers on the naval station. Curious if I can catch them there. 

Almost certainly. 

It wouldn't pay you more to walk on water,than to wear a crown of thorns,

It wouldn't pay me more to bury you rich,than to bury you poor...

1 hour ago, Matt7082 said:

How far into the bay do the squid normally go? I have access to the piers on the naval station. Curious if I can catch them there. 

Where's the station? Off Narragansett Bay? ..If so yes Squid abound in and around the piers.

RockfishOn!! :cool:

I fish the base, not sure if you can fish the piers any more.  I thought they were closed for fishing for the past 2 or 3 yrs while dredging ops were going on.  

Every Sunrise A Victory

Your patriotism is not determined by the size of your flag or how vigorously you wave it in someone's face.  Any as$hole can fly a flag.

I’ve been fishing the base a lot early season. Mainly the pedestrian bridge, near marina, and the point.  No luck so far. Also off of a jetty further north. 

Haven’t seen anyone off the piers but I bet it would be great for squid when they make their way up the bay!

-Mike 

9 hours ago, borntafish said:

I call security and tell them I will be fishing at night cuz 3 years ago they showed up like cowboys at 2am

Yeah, I worry about this. I especially worry about it when I use my kayak. I suppose calling them prior isn’t a bad idea. 

1 hour ago, Matt7082 said:

Yeah, I worry about this. I especially worry about it when I use my kayak. I suppose calling them prior isn’t a bad idea. 

There is a base directive about fishing.  Might be a NETC instruction if I remember correctly.  I got a copy from base security a few years back.  It tells you where fishing is permitted and certain requirements in different areas.  If you work on base you should be able to get a copy.

10 mins ago, DZ said:

There is a base directive about fishing.  Might be a NETC instruction if I remember correctly.  I got a copy from base security a few years back.  It tells you where fishing is permitted and certain requirements in different areas.  If you work on base you should be able to get a copy.

There is a sign at Bishop Rock which references the instruction. I’ll have to take look at it. 

Good luck finding anyone who knows about the rules.  At one point is was supposed to be MWR but they sent me to environmental who said MWR will know.  Some of those base security troops fish the area hard, they have the best access.

Every Sunrise A Victory

Your patriotism is not determined by the size of your flag or how vigorously you wave it in someone's face.  Any as$hole can fly a flag.

You can get a free permit that allows you to fish on base from environmental in Building 1. They will give you a copy of the instruction and a map that shows where fishing isn't allowed. You're not supposed to fish on the piers anymore, but I've heard that people have without being bothered. I don't know if they're issuing permits tho, the people that issue them may be teleworking. I need a new one, if I remember I'll email them in the morning to find out.

Edited by GP100