coastalfreak

Kayaking - Sealed reel or no?

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

Hello folks, I’m looking for a new reel that I can use for all around inshore fishing from my kayak and potentially a small skiff later on. I mainly throw bait, whether it be on the bottom or under a popping cork/ float rig. That being said, I do throw artificials often as well due to their convience. My question is: Would you recommend a heavier, less smooth reel like a spinfisher/shield/SaltX with a durable metal body and sealing, or a smooth lightweight, luxury reel like a Stradic? I’m not super concerned about smoothness of reels, and I am pretty tough on my gear, but at the same time I’m worried that the “tough” reels may not work well for light tackle inshore stuff. 

Thanks in advance! 

A sealed or partially sealed reel is going to take the abuse of kayak angling far better than an unsealed reel. 

I would also highly recommend attaching a lanyard to your setup in case it goes overboard.

Popping cork screams redfish and speckled trout to me, no issues on my end throwing paddle tails, corkys, or spooks with my ssvi and slammer. 

That being said, it sounds like you’re fishing inshore so a sealed reel wouldn’t be necessary. I actually prefer the daiwa bg to the penns. 

The minute you buy an expensive reel for use on the kayak it will end up on the sea floor on your next outing.

Murphys law.

Go with a cheap rod and mid level shimano 4000 real like the Sahara. 

That reel plus a tiger light rod is all you need. Maybe get a Saragosa 5000 if you feel the need. 

Expensive gear on a kayak is a recipe for crying.

7 mins ago, SwimBait said:

The minute you buy an expensive reel for use on the kayak it will end up on the sea floor on your next outing.

Murphys law.

Go with a cheap rod and mid level shimano 4000 real like the Sahara. 

That reel plus a tiger light rod is all you need. Maybe get a Saragosa 5000 if you feel the need. 

Expensive gear on a kayak is a recipe for crying.

Rod lanyard.

have been kayak for over 20 years now,and the last thing i want is lanyards on my rod,dont want to get tangled if i go over,which so far hasn't happened in those 20 years.my penn slammers and Z's have never let me down.i do on occasion use a penn jigmaster or abu 7000ci if i am using a conventional.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I just stocked up on 2 Squidders and a 712z for my kayaking. I can take all three apart completely, regrease, and reassemble in about an hour if I go over. The three of them cost about what one semi-sealed reel does.

Edit: I have lanyards now, but I'm thinking of changing over to floats, due to the tangling potential. I'd rather paddle around and collect my gear than get hogtied upside down and under water or have to undo macrame after unhooking a bruiser..

Edited by ermghoti

12 mins ago, l.i.fish.in.vt said:

have been kayak for over 20 years now,and the last thing i want is lanyards on my rod,dont want to get tangled if i go over,which so far hasn't happened in those 20 years.my penn slammers and Z's have never let me down.i do on occasion use a penn jigmaster or abu 7000ci if i am using a conventional.

To each their own.

yes,to each their own but some of us speak from expierience ,how much expierence does 3 or 4 years bring to the table. no offense as i know you are a good fisherman and put more time in then most,but you seem to talk way above your expierence

Eh, I'll share what works for me. I don't ask for anyone else to listen and I don't care either way.

I’ve used everything from cheap Okumas to vanstaals on the kayak.....they just need more attention than the rest of the reels because they’re always going to be wet.... my advice would be stick to a couple spinners your comfortable taking apart and cleaning.....I also pack kayak reels with as much grease as possible. I bought a couple tsunami shields and used them last year....they worked good and stayed bone dry inside.....long term who knows.

I don’t use lanyards on anything except my boga...I like a pretty clean deck.

I see some of these New kayak setups now and have to laugh.....stuff sticking up all over the place and packed like they’re going out for a week

that’s all well and good til you have a 30 Bass spinning you in circles. :D

On 4/25/2020 at 11:47 PM, Sandbar1 said:

Rod lanyard.

In practice, rod lanyards are at best a pain in the ass and at worst a serious safety hazard. 

I would never use one. 

Most people go out with more than one rod so what are you going to put a rod leash on each one? That ensures that you are going to get some sort of a tangle. 

I don't even like using a leash on my paddle, but typically will out front.

The only time I will tether my rods is when I'm travelling from point A to point B on a long multi-day trip, and even then I use a custom bungee system that isn't really a true tether at all (its' only about 6 inches long and attaches my rod to the rod holder.)

It only takes one time getting everything all tangled up with multiple rod tethers to quickly abandon the practice.

Most of us that don't use them have all experienced the same thing.