Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PeterO

Refrigerator door won’t stay closed - any ideas?

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

Have a GE side-by-side and the refrigerator side door keeps popping open.  I have to push it closed and it will stay for awhile, but eventually will pop open.  This developed over time.  The gasket looks ok with no visible defects.  Have no idea what caused this to happen.  Any advice on resolving this would be greatly appreciated.  Thx 

Check the seals to see if they are sitting right and not too squashed. Also try taking heavy items off the offending door. If those things don't work your hinge may need attention.

maybe check the hinge bolts for alignment by seeing that the gasket is equally pinched, top to bottom. Don't EVEN want to think of your house settling so much as to put your fridge out of level.. (like my rat-hole's doing )

1 hour ago, Chunkah said:

Freezer side? Sometimes the ice maker thingy on ours gets a tad out of alignment...

No, it’s the refrigerator side.  Freezer side is fine.

2 mins ago, Wildcard said:

The pin for the hinge has a cam on it, and it wears down. They cost like $20 and easy to change.

I was thinking that might be the case, I’ll check it out.  Easy to change was the case at one point, not so much today.

With the freezer door open look down the length of the fridge door and make sure it’s sitting tight from top to bottom. Sometimes a door will get racked and not sit right. Usually you can put your foot against the bottom and pus it back straight.