yakscientist

Bought my first Penn reel

3 posts in this topic

I own a few old hand me down penns from my grandfathers, some level winds and an international 30SW that I need to have serviced soon...but I've never actually bought one. My faithful okuma avenger-50b baitfeeder finally grenaded after a PB striper (45"+)and another nice 30" fish, after years of surf and kayak duty, so I wanted to get another baitfeeder style reel to replace it. I already have a shimano baitrunner 4500b which is a great reel, but I wanted something maybe a little tougher, better sealed, and obv newer in the same general price range. Scooby's vids were a major part of my decision, and I picked up a spinfisher VI4500LL and I'm very impressed with how it feels and looks. Once I slap some powerpro superslick v2 on it, I'll be putting it through its paces and hopefully will be happy with its performance for many years to come. 

I have all older Penn reels as well. I just bought a spinfisher vi and cant wait to use it. I am sure it is a lot better than the other older reels but there is just something about the nostalgia of those older spinner reels.