Black Hole USA rods review

Rate this topic

ksong

Saw the comments about trying the Challenger Bank 801L for the Doc. I have been throwing it on a 7’ Teramar MH extra fast and Saragosa 6k. I was  surprised at the recommendation for the Challenger 801L but since I’ve had this rod for a little while with a Stradic 5k and fishing was slow yesterday afternoon I put on a 7” Doc’s out of curiosity. 

I was surprised again. This rod works the doc’s really awesome. I thought the rod would be way too light to work that heavy bait properly. It was actually casting it much better and working it much more easily. The rod did so much of the work as opposed to me really exerting myself with the Teramar and I think I ended up fishing the doc’s more than two hours into the evening. 

It would be nice if the rod had a hook keeper though. Not crazy about hanging something like the doc’s from that single foot first guide. Feels like it’s just a disaster waiting to happen in a couple of different ways especially with that thin #20 PP V2 getting nicked by the hooks.  

7166A4EB-3142-47A5-B8C5-357AF4BD2650.jpeg

(*member previously known as 'SoCalStripers')