ksong

Black Hole USA rods review

Rate this topic

141 posts in this topic

Part 6 - D

Then we introduced Black Hole East Coast Special rods.

I did not test the rods much, but it was recommendation by our field testers.

The rods are kind of traditional surf rods with moderate fast action and the rods are pretty popular for quality and reasonable prices( under $400).

50.10' East Coast Special 3/4 oz - 4 oz  blank weight: 6.1 oz

10' East Coast Special 2 oz - 6 oz blank weight: 7.1 oz

11' East Coast Special 3/4 oz - 4 oz blank weight: 7.6 oz

11' East Coast Special 2 oz - 6 oz blank weight: 8.2 oz

12' East Coast Special 3/4 oz - 4 oz blank weight: 9.1 oz

12' East Coast Special 2 oz - 6 oz  blank weight: 9.6 oz

eastcoast1to4.jpg

eastcoast1to4b.jpg

eastcoast2-6a.jpg

eastcoast2-6b.jpg

eastcoast12mexico.jpg

eastcoast12mexicob.jpg

Part 6 - E

Introduction of Black Hole Suzuki rods.

After establishing Black Hole USA rods as one of the strongest rods in the market, we paid our attention to develop rods in $200 range so that many anglers can afford our Black Hole surf rods.

So we introduced out 9'6" and 10' Black Hole Suzuki rods first.

The rods are designed to catch small fish like schoolie striper, albie or fluke from the shore.

But, frankly we are impressed with the strength of the rods as much bigger fish were caught using light Suzuki rods. 

We later introduced 8' one-piece Suzuki L rods.

8' Black Hole Suzuki L 1/2 oz - 2 oz blank weight:  3.2 oz

9'6" Black Hole Suzuki 3.4 oz - 3 oz blank weight: 4.4 oz

10' Black Hole Suzuki 1/2 oz - 2 oz  blank weight: 3.7 oz

We are developing two piece 8', 8'6", 9' and 9'6" Suzuki UL  1/4 oz - 1  1/2 oz rods now.

catches of 8' Suzuki rods

suzuki8.jpg

suzuki8and38striper.jpg

suzuki8b.jpg

suzuki8c.jpg

suzuki8e.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

Part 6 - F

After successful debut of Black Hole Suzuki rods, we decide to develope thin surf rods.

Originally we were going to develop $200 and $400 thin rods. When I saw the samples of $200 and $400 rods, I immediately liked the $400 rods very much and we introduced them as Black Hole Striped Bass Special rods. We tested them very hard. Casting is great and they are very strong. They are fast action rods. 

We introduced 10' and 11' and we are developing 9' and 12' rods as well as 9'6" and 10'6" moderate action rods.

stripedbass10.jpeg

stripedbass10'3-10byDan.jpg

stripedbass12a.jpg

stripedbass28rod41lb.jpg

stripedbassccc3.jpg

stripedbassrooster.jpg

stripedbass3.4-450.jpg

stripedbassspecialccc.jpg

stripedbasssyellowtail2.jpg

stripedbass9yellowtail.jpg

Edited by ksong

Part 7

Finally we introduced economic version of inshore rods called Black Hole Charter Special rods.

We are really impressed with the strength and action for $200 rods.

We plan to introduce more models of economic version of inshore rods.

6'8" Black Hole Charter Special Slow Pitch rod blank weight: 3.3 oz

7'3" Black Hole Charter special   blank weight: 3.9 oz

Catches of 6'8" Black Hole Charter Special Slow Pitch rods.

charterspecial68.jpg

charterspecial68tuna.jpg

charterspecial682.jpg

charterspecial684.jpg

charterspecial686.jpg

charterspecial687.jpg

charterspecial688.jpg

Edited by ksong

I owned a Black Hole Cape Cod Special 80G and 80N years before I even knew they were getting into surf rods, and that rod was light years ahead of anything else for Cape Cod bluefin on spinning gear. 

You can definitely see how the offshore, big-game popping origins of Black Hole trickle down through their surf line up, which is literally still in the early years of production and I believe will continue to be on the rise as time goes by. I attribute a lot of that early success to Kil Song and how receptive he is to angler input about products, how he, himself is out there beating the piss out of these rods all over the world and posting real time feedback while interacting with us on the forums and social media outlets. 

Always a stand up guy and class act with the way he carries himself and treats people, and a pioneer/legend amongst the Jig n’ Pop crowd.

First fish I connected with using my built 10’ Heavy II Surf jig stick 

BBEFA522-4576-4A25-AA90-8E4ECF77CEAF.jpeg

On 5/2/2020 at 4:01 PM, ksong said:

7'3" or 8' Black Hole Challenger Bank H spinning rods.

The weight of 7'3" Challenger Bank is only 10 oz, but it is strong enough to land 200 lb tuna.

The blank weights of the 7'3" and 8' are 5.6 oz and 5.9 oz respectively.

cb801h3.jpg

cbh6.jpg

cbh7.jpg

cbh10.jpg

cbh11.jpg

Hi KilSong,

I’m curious about the Challenger Bank 8’ H for tuna. The BH website describes this as a deep drop rod and tuna jigging rod. The lure rating is 4-10 oz. Is this what you’d recommend for NJ mid shore BFT popping also, or are the Cape Cod Specials better suited for that?

thanks

11 hours ago, Dan_evan1 said:

I owned a Black Hole Cape Cod Special 80G and 80N years before I even knew they were getting into surf rods, and that rod was light years ahead of anything else for Cape Cod bluefin on spinning gear. 

You can definitely see how the offshore, big-game popping origins of Black Hole trickle down through their surf line up, which is literally still in the early years of production and I believe will continue to be on the rise as time goes by. I attribute a lot of that early success to Kil Song and how receptive he is to angler input about products, how he, himself is out there beating the piss out of these rods all over the world and posting real time feedback while interacting with us on the forums and social media outlets. 

Always a stand up guy and class act with the way he carries himself and treats people, and a pioneer/legend amongst the Jig n’ Pop crowd.

First fish I connected with using my built 10’ Heavy II Surf jig stick 

BBEFA522-4576-4A25-AA90-8E4ECF77CEAF.jpeg

Thanks for your kind words. :)

10 hours ago, SeaZen 21 said:

Hi KilSong,

I’m curious about the Challenger Bank 8’ H for tuna. The BH website describes this as a deep drop rod and tuna jigging rod. The lure rating is 4-10 oz. Is this what you’d recommend for NJ mid shore BFT popping also, or are the Cape Cod Specials better suited for that?

thanks

If you fish locally, I recommend one-piece Black Hole Challenger Bank H rods. Black Hole Cape Cod popping rods are two-piece rods and they are good for travelling. 

Hey Kil Song,

I came across your rods hearing about them from people in my area. They always talked about the short demos that you do at the edison show where you bend the rods to the limit. I was interested in getting a blank to build where I could use in the Canal, back at home in NJ waters from Cape May to Raritan, and maybe montauk. I know it is not ideal to build a rod so broad in use but i'm going to mostly focus on using it in the Canal and plugging back in the Raritan. Was interested in the Cape Cod 10'6 2-6, the Striper special 10' 1-6 (not sure if thats right), or any rod you would recommend as I am open to anything you would think would be better. I am not going to build anytime soon but want to get an early start at researching my possible options. Thank you!

Ksong will speak to the rods. I never see those rod-bending demonstrations without cringing a bit, I keep expecting my monitor to explode in a shower of graphite.  ;)

Edited by BrianBM

11 hours ago, HuyHavoc said:

Hey Kil Song,

I came across your rods hearing about them from people in my area. They always talked about the short demos that you do at the edison show where you bend the rods to the limit. I was interested in getting a blank to build where I could use in the Canal, back at home in NJ waters from Cape May to Raritan, and maybe montauk. I know it is not ideal to build a rod so broad in use but i'm going to mostly focus on using it in the Canal and plugging back in the Raritan. Was interested in the Cape Cod 10'6 2-6, the Striper special 10' 1-6 (not sure if thats right), or any rod you would recommend as I am open to anything you would think would be better. I am not going to build anytime soon but want to get an early start at researching my possible options. Thank you!

10'6" Black Hole Cape Cod Nano rod is kind of moderate rod. It is excellent rod for plugging, but it is not good jigging in Cape Cod Canal

10' and 11' Black Hole Striped Bass Special 1 oz - 6 oz are good for plugging and light jigging. 

I used the 11' Striped Bass Special 1 oz - 6 oz in the Canal recently and I used 1 1/2 oz plug as well as jigs upto 5 oz.  But the rod is fast action rod. 

Another rod I can recommend for moderate/fast action is 10' and 11' Black Hole Cape Cod Surf II regular rated 2 oz - 6 oz.  Our field tester loves the action of the 11' Surf II regular rod and casting. One excellent angler in the Canal loves 10' Surf II regular to fish plug and jigs.

12 hours ago, HuyHavoc said:

Hey Kil Song,

hi HH, The cape cod nano 10'6" 2-6, is probbly, my favorite BH rod, it is a pure Moderate-fast rod i would say a tad more moderate, softer tip great plugging rod, i used this past spring,in the Raritan with much success, with plugs from 1oz-41/2oz.,the striped bass special line, 10, 11ft., are fast action rods, i say more suitable for fast current, i would use  the 2-8 oz. when fishing the canal, reason being, multiple uses, throw  big, gliders,big magic swimmers, big stick shads, BIG plugs in general, plus, you can also jig 4,5, oz. comfortable, the 1-6 SBS, rod, in my opinion, not going to cut it, jigging, 4,5, oz, doesn't have that lift at the tip, for bigger jigs. the rod will cast 4,5 oz. jigs, not to jig them up and lift,, 2-8 is more of a " all-around" rod for the canal, just want to mention, two very good pencil-popping, GOOD, distance casting rods, are the East Coast 11 ft. 2-6, or 3/4-4, and the 11ft. 2-6 cape cod medium Surf II, ....if you need some you can PM, me....

Edited by lureman