ksong

Black Hole USA rods review

Rate this topic

688 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, Goldy said:

What's wrong with the 731M

731M is great rod. But it is expensive for the use of charter boats. They are normally use durable and not so expensive rods.

Edited by ksong

Posted (edited) · Report post

We went bluefin tuna fishing to the south of Martha's Vineyard yesterday

My friend has small 21' boat and he asked me help to get the bluefin on his boat as he never caught bluefin on his boat before.

Fishing was great there, but recent report was slow fishing. I told them not to expect to catch bluefin based on the recent report.

We saw life after passing Noman's Island. We started trolling with Black Hole Cape Cod Jigging rods. Within 5 minutes, we hooked up double header.  They were so happy. :) Then they asked to troll using 7'3" Black Hole Challenger Bank 731H rod. Why not.  Within 5 minutes we got another tuna with the spinning rod. They are all 20 lb - 40 lb range in 27" - 47" and we kept two and released the rest.

We got 6 out 7 bluefin by 8 am and went to the dock.

20210624_065248.jpg

20210624_065814.jpg

20210624_073900.jpg

20210624_080754.jpg

20210624_080809.jpg

20210624_081011.jpg

Edited by ksong

I am leaving for Seattle this evening and take flight to Yakutat tomorrow morning.

I will be at the Icy Bay Lodge early in the afternoon tomorrow and stay there two weeks. I will bring 7'3 " Charter Special rods, 6'8" Charter Special Slow Pitch rods, Cape Cod Slow Pitch rods for other anglers and my personal use of Black Hole Tai rod.

Weather looks fine for next two weeks. The key in fishing Alaska is the weather.

I can post upto date report as there is wifi service at the lodge.

What is the difference between the following blanks? Thinking about having one built for plugging.

Striped Bass Special Mod fast 10' 6"ft 1-6

East Coast Special medium 11ft 2-6

Surf II regular 11ft 2-6

Thank you!

12 hours ago, fishtheeast said:

What is the difference between the following blanks? Thinking about having one built for plugging.

Striped Bass Special Mod fast 10' 6"ft 1-6

East Coast Special medium 11ft 2-6

Surf II regular 11ft 2-6

Thank you!

Among thee different rods, Black Hole Surfii regular could be strongest though the other two rods can catch any size of striper.

While Surf II and East Coast Special rods are normal traditional rods, the Striped Bass Special rods have thinner diameter.

I believe I am truly human banana. I feel sorry for anglers who fished Cape cod canal this morning as striper fishing was extremely slow just because I showed up.

After fishing, I visited GW Custom rods. They sell lots of custom Black Hole USA rods. While I was there, three anglers ordered custom Black Hole USA rods.

capecodcanal.jpg

Edited by ksong

New appreciation for my 8' Suzuki Special UL rod.  Took it, along with a few others to Nantucket.  Went bluefishing almost every morning for gators and it required a long cast in a very shallow drift.  My friend was using my St Croix Avid and I was casting almost 2x as far as he was.  And we switched, same thing.  Now the Avid was 1' shorter but still.  The BH rod could consistently throw heavier and further.

On my last day I hooked a big blue on topwater throwing a 2.5oz Tsunami popper.  Then the water exploded and I saw  shark tail slash.  Line was peeling off my Spinfisher 4500 with 20lb braid and a well used steel leader.  The rod did great.  Fought the shark for another 2 min then it chafed the braid.  Fun while it lasted, felt and looked like a brown shark but no idea on length. 

I don't usually bring the Suzuki but I was glad I did.

Edited by Sailah

On 7/21/2021 at 3:31 PM, Sailah said:

New appreciation for my 8' Suzuki Special UL rod.  Took it, along with a few others to Nantucket.  Went bluefishing almost every morning for gators and it required a long cast in a very shallow drift.  My friend was using my St Croix Avid and I was casting almost 2x as far as he was.  And we switched, same thing.  Now the Avid was 1' shorter but still.  The BH rod could consistently throw heavier and further.

On my last day I hooked a big blue on topwater throwing a 2.5oz Tsunami popper.  Then the water exploded and I saw  shark tail slash.  Line was peeling off my Spinfisher 4500 with 20lb braid and a well used steel leader.  The rod did great.  Fought the shark for another 2 min then it chafed the braid.  Fun while it lasted, felt and looked like a brown shark but no idea on length. 

Thanka for the review of the 8' Black Hole Suzuki II Ultra Light rod.

We tested heavily before introducing any Black Hole USA rods/blanks.

I am confident Black Hole USA rods are stronger than any other brands.

It is just matter of time when anglers use them and appreciate them.

On 7/21/2021 at 3:31 PM, Sailah said:

What's the sweet spot for casting weight in your opinion? I had my hands on one, I was thinking 1/2 to maybe 3/4? I/m looking to center around 3/4-1 1/14 or so, seemed like the longer UL models would do better there.