Black Hole USA rods review

Rate this topic

ksong

1 hour ago, slip n slide said:

sure would like to try a black hole fly rod,any made or plans as such? maybe a 10 1/2-11' for steelhead? 

They make excellent freshwater rods but the flyrods they make are not popular not because of quality, but because of lack of interest.

4 mins ago, ksong said:

for jigging, Black Hole Cape Cod 80g, 150g, 250g . 350g and 450g rods depending on sizes of tuna you target.

for popping, 7'3" or 8' Blck Hole Challenger Bank H spinning rods for tuna upto 200 lb.  ,

for over 200 lb to giant, 7'5" Black Hole Cow Special rods.

-fighting 400 lb bluefin using Black Hole Cow Special rod

cowspecial6.jpg

Just what I was looking for... will the 150g get the job done on your average 100-150 pound class bluefin or would the 250g be more suitable 

7 mins ago, Chunkman1 said:

Just what I was looking for... will the 150g get the job done on your average 100-150 pound class bluefin or would the 250g be more suitable 

I would say yes if you don't high sticking while fighting. 

Here is a picture of high sticking with the 250g rod.

250g.jpg

3 mins ago, JoelJ said:

. . . that's NOT high sticking . . . that's called Laws of Physics Don't Apply . . . :bigeyes:

It is a miracle he didn't break the rod. :)

Here is picture of fighting tuna with the 150g rod. They tend to fight in high sticking. :)

bh150g1.jpg

bh150g2.jpg

10 mins ago, ksong said:

I would say yes if you don't high sticking while fighting. 

Here is a picture of high sticking with the 250g rod.

250g.jpg

When you say high sticking you mean to not bring it over a certain plain of degrees?From the picture it seems he has the butt straight up and down 90°. I’m assuming anything over 75° would be high sticking which would place excess stress on the rod?

1 min ago, Chunkman1 said:

When you say high sticking you mean to not bring it over a certain plain of degrees?From the picture it seems he has the butt straight up and down 90°. I’m assuming anything over 75° would be high sticking which would place excess stress on the rod?

Yes. when you fight big fish with the light rod, you don't fight over 60 degree. You fight in

30 degree - 60 degree.

Here is a video how I fight tuna with light 6'8" Black Hole Charter Special slow pitch rod.

16 mins ago, ksong said:

Yes. when you fight big fish with the light rod, you don't fight over 60 degree. You fight in

30 degree - 60 degree.

Here is a video how I fight tuna with light 6'8" Black Hole Charter Special slow pitch rod.

Didn’t know it was between 30-60°. Learn something new everyday. Appreciate the advise, a shop by me carries your rods so I will go there to test some out. 

Kil,

Thanks for posting your video on good fish fighting technique.  I have watched and learned from your videos over the past years.  You are a true master.

Perhaps you could provide a brief tutorial on how with your method you gain a huge advantage in leverage over the fish.

I continue to enjoy Blackhole rods.

Charlie

20 mins ago, Bluefishmaster said:

Kil, many thanks for sharing your useful fish fighting technique. From the tuna video, you definitely gained a huge advantage in leverage over the fish. When did you learned this technique?

I learned it by trial and error. :) 

I used to use the rail to fight tuna. i even developed custom portable rail to fight tuna on small boats.

Edited by ksong

Can I ask general black hole rod questions here? If not then feel free to delete my post.

I'm looking at the suzuki special (if I can find one in stock here in LI) and wanted to see if the 9'6 is good for what I'm looking for or if I should try something else.

I have a budget of $200 for the rod. And I'll be fishing the beach, jetties, and rocks out on eastern long island. 

I'd like a rod that's string to use to pull blues and stripers from the surf? 

Will this rod have enough backbone for that. 

Edited by Stevenw052
Posted to soon

7 mins ago, Stevenw052 said:

Can I ask general black hole rod questions here? If not then feel free to delete my post.

I'm looking at the suzuki special (if I can find one in stock here in LI) and wanted to see if the 9'6 is good for what I'm looking for or if I should try something else.

I have a budget of $200 for the rod. And I'll be fishing the beach, jetties, and rocks out on eastern long island. 

I'd like a rod that's string to use to pull blues and stripers from the surf? 

Will this rod have enough backbone for that. rod 

Check with J & H. If they don't have them. contact jignpop for ordering.

The 9'6" stock is very low now. If you want the rod, you have to act quickly.

Here is pictures of striper at jetties using the 9'6" rod 

suzuki967.jpg

suzuki968.jpg