ksong

Black Hole USA rods review

Rate this topic

140 posts in this topic

I had a nice 40 lb drum on a spoon using 12' Black Hole Striped Bass Special 2 oz - 8 oz rod in Texas.........

i do not see this particular rod on your website....... 

2 hours ago, FISH BUCKET said:

I had a nice 40 lb drum on a spoon using 12' Black Hole Striped Bass Special 2 oz - 8 oz rod in Texas.........

i do not see this particular rod on your website....... 

The rod is prototype rod. The 12' rod will by her by early Aug 

Posted (edited) · Report post

A minor note on the Suzuki 1002.

We sometimes talk here about the use of steelhead/salmon rods for surf fishing. I have one such rod. It wears an old SS 2600, and it's perfectly nice for the shore fluke fishing that I do with it.

Small stripers and blues, that's fine too.  Otherwise I have a rod on a 10' Perigee blank, a fast rod on high-modulus graphite (at least, I think it was high modulus for the era when Lami was making them, probably twenty years ago.) If I'm wandering the ocean surf in summer, this is what I'm carrying, with a Saragosa 6000.

The Suzuki slots in perfectly between them. I like the grips, the guides, and (most crucially) the distance from butt cap to reel seat is perfect. For payloads of 3/4 to 1 1/2 oz., it's a beautiful casting rod. It is easy to cast, especially (ahem) if you're coping with plenty of arthritis in both shoulders. I'm casting the 1002 well without significant shoulder involvement, my hands are in front of the chest, and everything is fine. I had a similar reaction to a CTS 10' 1-3 oz., albeit this rod's guide arrangement, etc., is definitely better (and more accurately rated.) The rod currently wears another of Shimano's long-cast reels.

I share @Ged 's doubts about the rod's ability to lean aggressively on a fish. He likes the 1203 for the same payload weights as I'm fishing on the 1002. So far, alas, I haven't met a fish with the 1002 that needed any extra beef in the butt. (Maybe the 9'6" would feel stiffer in the butt?) That's your design tradeoff: a moderate action for light weights isn't going to have the power of a fast action for the same light weights, but it'll be easier to cast.

The rod's rating is 1/2 to 2 oz. I like it best from 3/4 to 1 1/4. Your mileage may vary.

This rod begs, begs, for little tunny in the fall. The one ounce tins that the shore albie angler lives and dies by are ideally matched with this rod. If the Fates allow a few good ones, I'll have a better take on the rod. :)  

Edited by BrianBM

Another shout out to the Suzuki 1002, picked one up at the canal, walked the beach Tuesday morning absolutely bombing 1.5oz metal, got into some Spanish and it's made for that style of fishing.